Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #20 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #20?
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #20 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #20 is finally on its way after a lengthy delay due to the pandemic.
Here's the cover and preview by Zdarsky, Checchetto, Iacono, Cowles, Tedesco and Sliney.

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-020
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy to have picked up this latest issue today. It's the first issue since the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Little by little, I feel the world is coming back.

I feel like this issue represents everything Chip Zdarsky has been building toward for the previous 19 installments. Matt has finally embraced his Daredevil identity, and that allows him to perplex Bullseye in a way I've never seen him do before. He shows complete confidence in his abilities, and Zdarsky describes his methods beautifully. I especially liked, "Predicting movements, predicting actions, is especially easy... with someone who never 'misses.'"

It's a very busy issue, but Marco Checchetto's artwork is glorious. At one point Daredevil appears to choke the Rhino by stuffing the hilt of a dagger down his windpipe. I think I'm correct, but I can't be certain. I think I could have used a caption or two from Zdarsky to completely explain that, but maybe everyone involved thought the issue was busy enough as it is. That being said, this is very good chaos, and I must give kudos to the entire creative team for the fact that this issue works as well as it does.

I have often complained that too many people at Marvel treat Stilt-Man as a joke. Sure enough, Zdarsky actually calls him a joke in this issue, but qualifies him as a "dangerous" joke. I appreciate that, and he is actually depicted as a legitimate threat. Matt even remarks that he is going to rack up more fatalities than all of the others. I hope to see Zdarsky make use of Stilt-Man later on.

Wilson Fisk's appearance in this issue is interesting. He seems to be legitimately motivated to protect the citizens of New York, and the citizens in turn seem to love him for it. But, based on what we've read before, how long until his old habits rise again?

I also really appreciate the cliffhanger, and am not sure what the consequences will be for Matt or Daredevil.

In such an action-packed issue, it feels weird to complain about something missing, but I could have used a panel or two showing the Stromwyns reacting to all of this. They're the puppet masters behind all this, so it's a little weird to never see them.

Otherwise, this is as good a pay-off to everything Zdarsky has built as we have any right to ask for. I gave it a perfect score.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely somebody else must have read this by now. Maybe one of the other Toronto people on this site?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to it today.

There's a ton of great action in this story and some really cool moments with Daredevil teaming up with Kingpin and Typhoid Mary. It was also good to see Foggy supportive. My only real complaint is, sometimes, the action was hard to follow. I'm still not entirely sure what happened with the Rhino. I'm curious what will happen next issue. I don't want a repeat of Brubaker.

Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up my copy on the weekend. My store only allowed pickup from 12-3 and we had to call ahead to come in.

As I was reading, it felt like a blockbuster movie, and I could "hear" the explosions from the pages. It felt great to read the title again. Not sure where we're headed with that ending, though. Maybe the Annual is gonna address it too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: