Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #23 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #23?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #23 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #23 by Zdarsky, Checchetto, Menyz, and Cowles ships next week and here's the cover and preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-023

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issues ships on October 21!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Checchetto returns this issue, which is fantastic. Chip Zdarsky loads this issue full of great character moments featuring Matt, Foggy, Elektra, Spider-Man and Kingpin. However, I want to show my appreciation for editor Devin Lewis.

When I was younger, one of my favourite things about Marvel comics were the references to older stories, and the captions at the bottom of the panel with the issue number for you to seek out. Those fell by the wayside a long-time ago, but this issue Lewis brings us not one reference caption, but two, and it just warms my heart. Please keep this up, because anything to make comics more fun and more of a journey is great, especially for young people just getting into the medium.

For me, the best part of the issue was Daredevil's conversation with Spider-Man. These two have been close for decades, but as those of us who've been following Zdarsky's run know, things haven't been good between them lately. Obviously Zdarsky knows his Spidey history, because he references the time he accidentally killed someone (and Lewis is kind enough to let us know where we can read more if we wish), and that partially explains where Peter has been coming from in his dealings with Matt lately. We get a touching reconciliation between the two heroes, and Matt has a nice internal monologue about how fortunate he is to have people like this in his life.

I ended up giving this issue a four, and it's the ending that prevented me from giving it a perfect score. We have the return of a character from Charles Soule's run who appeared in the recent annual. I'm willing to see what Zdarsky can do with this character, but until then he's a source of trauma for me.

Last edited by Dimetre on Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this! Daredevil and Spidey 4 Ever!
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime we get Checchetto back I am reminded of how amazing of an artist he is. The cover for this issue is even stellar! The way he draws all the characters is fantastic, though his Elektra is particularly stunning!

Loved the interaction with Spider-Man and I am glad to see them on good terms and re-building their friendship. I get the need for Matt's secret identity to be back in the bottle; however, the price is that the history he has with so many characters (including Peter) is forgotten.

I also liked that it is helping Matt see that he needs people in life and that he should be grateful for those people. I liked Foggy calling him out on not being the victim and for Elektra accusing of acting selfish in the name of selflessness. Not to mention, she raises an interesting point. How many people will be hurt if Matt is in prison? Especially with the Kingpin back at work and with Elektra looking to fight the Hand.

Dimetre wrote:
I ended up giving this issue a four, and it's the ending that prevented me from giving it a perfect score. We have the return of a character from Charles Soule's run who appeared in the recent annual. I'm willing to see what Zdarsky can do with this character, but until then he's a source of trauma for me.

Dimetre, I know that you and I have often had differing points of view what it comes to Daredevil; however, I am right with you on the ending. Like you, I am willing to give Zdarsky the space to see this through as he had earned that, though I am a little concerned because I wasn't a fan of the annual (or at least not knowing what the payoff is).

Something else that will really bother me is that, given this character's appearance at the end, Matt has to come clean with Kirsten. Not sure that he will, but not doing so would be poor reflection of his character in my eyes.

Overall, great issue. 4 stars for me!
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, it's good to have Checchetto back! He's the only artist so far that can make the new costume work for me.

Unfortunately, this is the third straight "conversational" issue with very little plot development -- Zdarsky seems to be channeling his inner Bendis!

Again, not a fan of the current storyline and DD's mopey goodbye tour doesn't feel genuine to me. I'm assuming there's an ace up the sleeve with Mike Murdock showing up at the end but -- like Shadowland -- just have to bare and grin it for awhile...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: