Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

1984 or Brave New World
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which did you like more?
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Brave New World
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 10

Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

Alice mentioned it but has anyone else read F. 451? I haven't got around to it and I'd like to know if it's worth the time.

If you have a road trip and can find it, listen to it on cd like I did recently. The way this guy read it made it really creepy. I found it hard to think Bradbury wrote this in 1953.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EightiesCartoon wrote:
Brave New World - ***.5 (let down by the ending but good in that a lot of it is coming true)

I actually think the ending is fantastic. It sort of ends with a "meh". No bang, just whimper. How all endings should be.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The endings okay by itself, say as a short story, but in context it comes out of nowhere and I lost all connection with the character, it seemed forced

Faranheit is next on the definite to read to list
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fahrenheit 451 is excellent, and Clockwork Orange left something to be desired. Bradbury wrote a short story before Fahrenheit 451 called "The Pedestrian," which is actually referenced in Fahrenheit. I think the girl's name is Clarissa, or something similar to that, you know who I'm talking about, the teenage girl Montag meets. Anyway, she has a line about how her uncle was once arrested for taking a walk, or something like that. That's the story of "The Pedestrian." It's very good. Worth a read if you liked Fahrenheit.
jimdare
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 or Brave New World Reply with quote

Dorian Gray wrote:
1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley are both great books about the future. I you haven't already read them, you need to do so. If you have read them, which did you like better, 1984 or Brave New World?

Both novels are so good and obviously important,but for me,I'd have to go with "1984",because it hit me on such a visceral,gut level,and the "horror factor" was palpable and unnerving.

As far as a "probability perspective" is concerned,I'd agree that the scenario in "Brave New World" is the more likely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: