Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

On the fence about buying the punisher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The merchandise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crtdaredevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: On the fence about buying the punisher? Reply with quote

I know this is the Daredevil fan site, but hey when you have a chance to pimp a game that is this cool, You should never miss this chance.

I posted a bunch of comments about the spoilers on the game under the"PS2 Daredevil Game BOO-YAH" thread so this is a review:

"Revenge is a dish best Served cold" (Old klingon proverb, Kill Bill Vol 1 (c)) With these words, THQ, and Volition enterprises launched the bloody new chapter in Vigilante Frank Castle's life. The game is a formula which has been used before, but The punisher upps the ante in His war on crime and terror. Some of the strategies utilzied in the game are a bit laughable, but they are quickly overcame by a fast targeting system and gory deaths. This game when playing it reminded me of manhunt in a sense. (Without the director in your ear though) Some parts of this game utilize stealth, but mostly it's just grab a couple of guns and go hog wild. Almost after every kill, frank will utter something about taking out the garbage, or cleaning house, or just not say anything but a .12 gauge to the face.
Graphically this game is quite good. However I never got that New York feel that Spider man or ::Grumble:: The Daredevil Trailer game would have given me. But when you are busting up a crackhouse, who really cares about seein the empire state building.
Soundwise, this game is just decent. I would compare it to Collateral DVD. I played it through my surround sound system and some of the voices were still muddled. (if you want to hear alot of what the thug are saying, turn on closed captioning in the options menu, and it will bring up comic-like boxes. This gave the game a whole new feel)
With the story being written by Garth Ennis and Jimmy Palomatti, it was an ejoyable experience through Marvel's dark alley. In addition to all the superhero names dropped, and meeting a group of them in public, it made you feel like another day at the office
Final Score 9/10
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Castle is creepy and has childhood issues to deal with, who goes back to Vietnam voluntarliy a 2nd time, let alone a 3rd? Shocked Question
and my boyfriend is even creepier for enjoying this game and playing it so much.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crtdaredevil wrote:
"Revenge is a dish best Served cold"

That's funny. I always thought that was an old Spainsh or French proverb. Hmmm.
crtdaredevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

That's funny. I always thought that was an old Spainsh or French proverb. Hmmm.[/quote]

It is, but people remember it from KB vol 1
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Punisher because he acts how other superheros wish they could act, he kills the scum. How much death, destruction, and sorrow could be avoided if the superhero's offed a bad guy or two ever once in a while. But then I suppose you wouldn't have any major villians left, but you know they want to.
quickstopclerk59
Flying Blind

Location: Texas (not a redneck and i have never ridden a horse)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddess0Whim wrote:
Frank Castle is creepy and has childhood issues to deal with, who goes back to Vietnam voluntarliy a 2nd time, let alone a 3rd? Shocked Question

If you read Born, you learn that Capt. Castle (Frank) is obsessed with war, and would give anything to never stop. Its one of the things that makes him such a badass.
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickstopclerk59 wrote:
Goddess0Whim wrote:

If you read Born, you learn that Capt. Castle (Frank) is obsessed with war, and would give anything to never stop. Its one of the things that makes him such a badass.

i read Born, and that's EXACTLY why i think the guy has childhood issuses to work out...did you miss the little voice talking to him thing?
oh, yeah, before you go on, i also know about his family being former Sicily mob and the whole priest in traing story too.
that doesn't detract from my statement: I THINK FRANK CASTLE IS CREEPY. or that i think the actions they choose the character to take are creepy.
quickstopclerk59
Flying Blind

Location: Texas (not a redneck and i have never ridden a horse)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, damn, calm down, im just tellin ya why he went back to 'nam

P.S. the lil' voice was the Devil, it has nothing to do with "childhood issues", of all the things that has happened to Castle, you think his problem is "childhood issues?"
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many Punisher Vol are there? TPB?

www.UltimateCentral.com
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 5 or 6 trades of the Marvel Knights Punisher. The vol. 1 hardback "Welcome Back Frank" is excellent, re-read that a few times! That is classed as Vol. 3. Then There are some other TPB from the Vol. 4 Ennis Marvel knights series ran to 37 issues. There are about 4 or five of these, starts with Army of one, check Amazon, they are good for these or an even better resource is the punisherarchive website, that lists all of Big Franks efforts.

On reply to some comments about Frank, he is tops in my book. The MAX series is unmissable, the licence that it offers the writer and artist suits the title. The character is very complicated, sounds hard to believe I know. He has gone past the revenge for his family and has almost hardened over, but he has a soft spot somewhere.

If he was totally hardened he would just be a senseless killer of everyone, a butcher, but he is not, it is only one sort that he is after, he feels that he is protecting, you and I dear reader, the good people in this world from the scum that ruined his life.

He goes the shops, he lives at home, he eats take-out, he kills scum of a night, Welcome back Frank was good in the way that it showed how Frank functioned in "normal" life, I loved the interaction between Frank and the good characters.

I have only read the Garth Ennis Punisher Vol 3 HB, have all the comics from Vol4 and Max Vol 5 and I am totally hooked. The film was not what it could have been but I will be buying the game.

MAKE EM PAY FRANK, MAKE THEM ALL PAY! Twisted Evil

I am pulling the trigger on my imaginery M60 machine now Twisted Evil

Rolling Eyes

Now back to work in my office!! Laughing
JR
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not possible to say that any superhero has childhood issues to work out and is creepy? I mean, Batman molests children (Robin. I don't care what anyone else says.) I think if you look at it from a socialogical point of view, they are all taking out latent aggressive tendencies stemming from childhood trauma (i.e., Matt being beaten by Jack in MW/OF).

Just a thought.

JR.

P.S. The Punisher sucks. I was reading a bunch of early 90s Ghost Rider comics the other day, when Marvel had every character cross over with Punisher or Deathlok or both. They suck. Does anyone aside from me remember that miniseries where Punisher kills the entire Marvel universe? Retarded.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR wrote:

P.S. The Punisher sucks. I was reading a bunch of early 90s Ghost Rider comics the other day, when Marvel had every character cross over with Punisher or Deathlok or both. They suck. Does anyone aside from me remember that miniseries where Punisher kills the entire Marvel universe? Retarded.

Punisher kills the Marvel universe is re-printed in the Welcome Back Frank Hardback edition. Now I have only read the modern Ennis Punisher stuff and that is excellent, from what I have seen some of the earlier stuff does look a little ropey, but for me that is solely the fault of poor management abusing the character and poor editorial decisions.

Garth Ennis has got a perfect grip on the character and most of his Punisher works to date have been excellent. Playing devil's advocate, some of the MK series stories weren't great, but others were spot on. The Ennis and Steve Dillon MK stuff is very good, some of the art from the other series artists doesn't match up to the standard set by Dillon.

The current MAX series is great, Ennis has taken what is possibly a one-dimension character and breathed fresh life into him and given him far more depth. Even though they share the limelight in MK Pun#27 and the recent sort of follow-up Pun 2099, I always feel that if Elektra had a writer capable of what Garth Ennis has done and can do, then it would become a top title.

So to my original point of posting, The punisher doesn't suck, at least not all the modern stuff!
JR
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thing is this...Ennis makes every title he writes good, because he is very good at what he does. Unfortunately, without the force that is Ennis, characters can suck. Like the Punisher. And like Elektra in her solo efforts. Just a simple fact. Ennis' War Stories are amazing, and Preacher is the best comic run of all time. Whatever he touches turns to gold. I'm sure that Ennis could write "Lex Steele, the Bulletproof man!" and make it enjoyable. It doesn't change the fact that Punisher isnt very good without guidance. Just look at the storyline directly after Ennis left the title for a bit. Punisher going back in time to fight Al Capone? Retarded.

Anyway, out of interest: How did the Punisher manage to kill Galactus in that storyline?

JR.
mjollnir2626
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "The Punisher" game a first person shooter or the third person? (is it called third person in video games?). I just ordered it and it on it's way and I realized I didn't know. I don't know what it is, I can ride roller coasters all day, any amusement ride and feel fantastic. I play one hour of a first person shooter and I feel like I am going to hurl! Very embarrassing Embarassed
While I am asking about this anyway, does any one reading this know of any WWII PS2 games that are not first person? Thanks for any help.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR wrote:
Anyway, out of interest: How did the Punisher manage to kill Galactus in that storyline?
JR.

As it is Punisher kills the Marvel Universe, Galactus was in another universe at the time so, he was out of the way, errrrr he was in a DC cross over event at the time so not in the Marvel universe, so he escaped.

Dunno really, he let him off with 10 hail marys and 2 holy fathers, and took into account previous good deeds.

Stop asking awkward questions!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The merchandise All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: