Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Only reading volume 2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you read volume 1 DD?
No
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Only a few trades
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Yes, extensively
82%
 82%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 17

Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Only reading volume 2? Reply with quote

This came up a lot in the recent writer showdown polls. So, I'm curious.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the relaunch with Kevin Smith attracted a whole new readership to the title, sales rose (dramatically). I also know a lot of posters on this board being introduced to the title through the movie.

I think I'm right in saying that the majority of 'regulars/semi-regulars' on here are familiar with a lot of the Vol. 1 stuff. A lot of us have the complete run and most of the others have love/hate feelings for a lot of the Vol. 1 writers like Kesel, Chichester and Nocenti. Of these 'regulars', I'd hazzard a guess that all have an extensive knowledge of the series going as far back as the initial Miller run at least.

We're not all taking part in this 'writers poll' of course. Some have been here long enough to have done similar things before. Others are waiting for the Letterer's showdown between Artie Simek and Joe Rosen!
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
I know the relaunch with Kevin Smith attracted a whole new readership to the title, sales rose (dramatically). I also know a lot of posters on this board being introduced to the title through the movie.

I think I'm right in saying that the majority of 'regulars/semi-regulars' on here are familiar with a lot of the Vol. 1 stuff. A lot of us have the complete run and most of the others have love/hate feelings for a lot of the Vol. 1 writers like Kesel, Chichester and Nocenti. Of these 'regulars', I'd hazzard a guess that all have an extensive knowledge of the series going as far back as the initial Miller run at least.

We're not all taking part in this 'writers poll' of course. Some have been here long enough to have done similar things before. Others are waiting for the Letterer's showdown between Artie Simek and Joe Rosen!

What he said. Cool

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read everything back to Vol. 1 #100 and then things get patchy. Around #75 things get really patchy. I think the oldest issue I have is 54 or something. I've read the first masterworks but that's about it for the really early stuff. I plan to read the essentials if they somehow magically appear in front of me at some point.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only read Vol2, I have bought a disc off Ebay with all the vol 1 comics scanned in, I haven't read any yet though.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
Only read Vol2, I have bought a disc off Ebay with all the vol 1 comics scanned in, I haven't read any yet though.

You are in for a real treat. I'd like to hear your take on some of the stories from volume 1 that make an impression.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
The Privateer wrote:

You are in for a real treat. I'd like to hear your take on some of the stories from volume 1 that make an impression.

I am in the middle of my Masters Degree Dissatation at the moment so I am looking for excuses not to write it, so I may start to read them rather than write a load of garbage that doesn't interest me further than the letters after my name!.

I will post something when I do, I will feel good about myself when I can be "in the know" like the rest of you lot! Wink
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo train's sentiments, Private. Let us know what you think. (Whatever happened to 'phase2' and his posts on some of the earlier Vol. 1 issues he was reading each week? ) It's always enjoyable to hear someone elses take on this stuff. Enjoy.

One thing this current writers poll thing will achieve, if not a definitive answer to who peoples 'favourite' writer is, is in generating an awareness or curiousity of previous talents on this title that often get overlooked. Shooter, Wolfman and O'Neill are three that spring to mind immediately. By now having the complete Vol. 1 at your fingertips, you can look beyond the 'don't know much about him' comments in the poll and see for yourself. Then you won't have to use your 'ask the audience' !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: