Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Bendis/Maleev's #26-#50 is better than Born Again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Bendis/Maleev's #26-50 better than Born Again?
Yep
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
No - you must be shrooming :P
81%
 81%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 22

Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The writing in the Elektra Saga was wonderful, but it wasn't revolutionary at all. However, the writing in Born Again was. Still, Miller was a student of others. (Gangster movies/novels, film noir, etc. ...Miller fans might be more versed in Miller's confessed influences.) Every writer, including Shakespeare, is a student of others. The same is true of music, movies, comics, etc.

At the same time, I see all your points. If in ten years, Bendis's DD story is not as esteemed as Born Again, the only two reasons will be because it was many more issues than Born Again and Mazz wasn't the artist. However, in ten years, Bendis's DD will impact the industry and readers every bit as much Born Again did.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
However, in ten years, Bendis's DD will impact the industry and readers every bit as much Born Again did.

Well, Miller influenced many writers sure (just look at how many DD writers alone have "destroyed" and rebuilt Matt's life, or gave him a failed relationship with some woman), and Jim Lee blatently stole from Miller when he gave Gambit the ace of spade cards and gave Psylocke an Elektra-like makeover. So, yeah, I guess Bendis will influence others that follow. I'm sure in ten years we'll see a six issue arc that takes place at a dining room table in which the superheros do nothing but talk about their day Razz

rgj
Kingpin
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Every writer, including Shakespeare, is a student of others. The same is true of music, movies, comics, etc.

All true... but some say, that all the best songs have already been writen, you now what I mean?
Still I don't want to disrespect Bendis's work, but Born Again was a milestone not only for DD, but to comics generally.
I totally agree, that we have to wait years to see if Bendis's DD is timeless...
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bendis does better dialogue and his treatment of Matt and Foggy is just smooth and smart. Miller did more narration which is cool for some people, but I like for the art to show the thinking and emotions and for the dialogue to tell the story, not narration. That's just me, but I like more dialogue and less narration. I think for the 80s, Miller changed the medium in his own right. Bendis took a leap to "out" DD and make him the Kingpin. Only weakness is that Bendis couldn't wrap things up and only addressed the tabloid issue on his final run, which he then gave to Brubaker to resolve. Some part of me believes Bendis used the tabloid outting to be able to create more stories thus being huge fillers. The Owl, Trial of the Centure, Golden Age, and the Demon Baby stories could be considered fillers. He finally addressed the tabloids in his last arc. BUT, I believe he is overseeing and working with Brubaker on the resolution.

I'm not voting, but I believe people will be treating Bendis in the future like we treat Miller now. Though Miller's Allstar Batman is complete ****. But also if Brubaker's run is good, it may lessen Bendis' legend.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trial of the Century was a crucial arc in Bendis's early DD. It was a big part of the study of superheroes, the law, modern media audiences, etc. While I agree that arcs like Widow and Golden Age were just filler, the Trial of the Century was an important and terribly underrated arc.
Kingpin
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Trial of the Century was a crucial arc in Bendis's early DD.

Very true. I'd love to see more "court action" by Matt Murdock - the-best-superhero-lawyer again, although it's not possible at the moment Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: