Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Superman Returns. Did it make the grade? (spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the Superman Returns movie
A+
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
A
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
A-
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
B+
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
B
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B-
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
C+
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
C
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
C-
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Superman Returns. Did it make the grade? (spoilers) Reply with quote

Well, seems like alot of you have seen Superman Returns. I'm (hopefully) watching on Sunday. So, what did you think of the movie?? Did it make the grade??

rgj
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it an A. I dunno, I just feel that A+'s should be saved for "top five movies of all time movies". But's it's an A for sure. There were moments of pure awe in the movie. Plus the big reveal. Plus, the movie was just full of so many "big ideas". Like at one part of the movie Superman says "goodnight" to another character and then flies up and around the earth and ends up where it's day again. Of course Superman could do this but it's one of those things that you just don't think about until you see it. Anyway, awesome movie.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A- for me.

I would say Batman Begins is the ONLY "A" superhero flick I know of.

The "A+" hasn't been hit yet. I think the next Batman flick has that potential.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBL wrote:
The "A+" hasn't been hit yet.

I don't know. Sin City, for me, was an A+. But, I guess it all depends on the criteria we are using for grading. I smell a "Best Comic Movie Showdown" coming soon!

rgj

p.s. Can't wait to comment on Superman Returns!
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
CBL wrote:
The "A+" hasn't been hit yet.

I don't know. Sin City, for me, was an A+. But, I guess it all depends on the criteria we are using for grading. I smell a "Best Comic Movie Showdown" coming soon!

rgj

p.s. Can't wait to comment on Superman Returns!

I was specifically talking in terms of "superhero flicks." I was not including Sin City in this. Otherwise, I'd be thinking of Road to Perdition, From Hell, and some others.

By the way, an A+ flick Sin City is!

C.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give this an A- overall, had everything i'd come to expect from Singer on a Comic Flick. Which is very good...In general as comic book films go...Sin City yeah...it's just up there.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving it a "C". The ultra-tight and surprisingly funny first half unravels into the gaudy second half. One thing I have to admit is despite the story's faults Bryan Singer knows how to tell a story in a visual medium.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: 715! Reply with quote

I'm passing The Babe with this post.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 715! Reply with quote

DDmikeMN wrote:
I'm passing The Babe with this post.

next stop, barry bonds. i suspect DDmikeMN of using message board posting enhancement drugs.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should wait a few days after viewing the movie before you post a reply. After watching the movie, I thought it was really good. After you get past the amazing flying scenes, you can become more critical of some things. Right now I am going to dissect this movie piece by piece.

Lex's plan was pretty poor. His plan would have taken a 30-year investment before that land bore any fruit. Plus he would never have the men in place to secure land that large. Even then he couldn't claim it as his own without claiming an act of terrorism on America. I could go on and on. I can let Lois' child go in the script, but you can't let everything fly.

Routh did a great job as Superman, though I did find his Clark Kent a little too goofy and Reeve-like. I think he was a great choice.

Spacey is not terrifying enough to be Lex. They bring him into the cast to give the movie more credibility which failed in my opinion. He didn't do a terrible job, but it wasn't believable to me. Maybe his past roles in his other movies did it for me. Or maybe it's the fact that his face looks like a pug.

Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane was not a strong female character either. She was the damsel in distress which is different from the original Superman movies. The Pulitzer irony I guess only tries to prove she has gotten over Superman. Bosworth used to have an ass before she lost all that weight. Lois Lane would have had an ass. Oh and remember "I forgot how warm you were." I almost threw-up.

Which brings me to the dialogue. Pretty crappy. Bad one-liners that they absolutely did not need to put in there.

The Superman suit was good except for the "S" on the heels of his boots.

This movie was an introduction, I know. It was too huge of a film to really call it a failure. The action scenes alone makes it a B. But I had to give it a B- because if anyone was really criticizing this movie without the geek-factor, it would be described as a somewhat campy movie with a poor script that is too long. I remember when Singer used to do good scripted, character-driven films like The Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil. Guess he's gone Hollywood.

Also, X3 was absolutely horrific. Keep X2 in your memory and don't watch X3. Sin City was great, but I think an A+ is reaching. Batman Begins would be an A for me. I don't think there was a single thing wrong with that movie.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hylozoii, maybe you could be a little more vague in your ridiculous "review". Bad dialogue? One liners that "didn't need to be there"? What the hell are you talking about?

Lex's plan had a 30 year delay? What? The "S"s on the boots? That's what bugged you?

Sad review designed to draw attention. Good work kiddo.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Hey hylozoii, maybe you could be a little more vague in your ridiculous "review".

JC, you're being a dope. I don't know how much more specific he could be without spoiling the movie for those people who haven't seen it.

His points are the "grand scheme", the casting of Lex and Lois and the dialogue made the movie only a b- experience. It's not like he harped on the movie and only pointed out negative stuff. He put together a good argument. Let the man have his opinion.

In fact, why not try to prove the opposite is true?
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacey was lackluster at best. And Bosworth (though certainly not repulsive) does not do justice to the character of Lois Lane. Routh, on the other hand, delivered a splendid performance, and no doubt will enjoy a stellar career. Though it did not eclipse "Batman Begins" (a truly extraordinary motion picture) "Superman" was an engaging film.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying it is a better film than Batman Begins (BARELY). In essentially all regards, the two films are are equally matched except Superman Returns is so incredibly daring that it is actually more captivating than Batman Begins, in my book.

For me:
Batman Begins - A
Superman Returns - A+ (Because I do feel it's in the top 5 superhero movies ever, considering I think it is the top. Cool)

Superman (original) - B+

Superman Returns improved on everything that was good about the original except for the casting of Superman (Routh did as good as can possibly be expected since no one can top Reeve) and Lois (Bosworth just didn't bring much to the table). Everything that didn't work in the original (Puzo's dull script, etc.) was fixed in Returns. All the while, this sequel was a true sequel and not a remake or "reboot," which is quite daring. Aside from the casting of Lois Lane, what little that could have been improved on this movie would have been swatting flies on a asteroid headed for Earth. Superman Returns was a shear masterpiece and it deserves even more respect and recognition than the original Superman film.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else thought Lex's master plan was supremely stupid? Lex could have sold this technology and became richest man on Earth or built amazing weapons and conquered the Earth, instead he came up with a bad real estate scam. The military could have counter attacked and killed him, that eMP only lasted two minutes and Richard was able to fly his plane to NK? Why would anyone want to buy land on a giant barren rock anyway and what's to stop someone from buying land there and killing Lex in his sleep, for revenge?

Frankly the whole movie was a rehash of the 1978 film, with no new ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: