Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Superman Returns. Did it make the grade? (spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the Superman Returns movie
A+
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
A
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
A-
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
B+
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
B
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B-
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
C+
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
C
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
C-
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex is about money AND power. He would never sell a technology to someone else just to reap in the money. To him, it is greatly about control as it is to just being rich. If you recall his Prometheus speech near the beginning of the flick, it is about "bringing the fire to the people" and "taking a cut." This is very much a money AND power speech. He wants the world at his feet.

He also discusses about why countries, at certain times in history, rule the world the way they do. The Romans had the road, the Americans had the Atom bomb, etc... . This Kryponite technology in his possession was key to his ruling the world. Selling it would give him no power.

And remember, one whole crystal was used to make the land. He still possessed 6 more whole crystals for which he could harness in inventing advance weaponery and the likes. He even suggested this would be his next goal if a country would oppose him.

C.

Last edited by Clayton Blind Love on Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I liked it Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I give it a B+. I didn't like it as much as either of the Spider-Mans or the first two Supermans, but I thought it was very good. My only gripe is that it's not really explained why he had to go away for five years.

I hope they make another one. Given the difficulty of making the $270 million investment back, we may not see another one for a long time. Why are special effects so expensive? It's not like there are actual cars and trucks and buildings being demolished. If there were, I could understand the film's price tag. But computer effects running up a budget to hundreds of millions of dollars? You'd think computers would be saving the entertainment industry money, but it looks like just the opposite is happening.

A significant portion of that $270 million was spent on 10 years of failing to get this movie on the screen. A lot of money was spent prior to even landing Singer to direct it.

C.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
Lex is about money AND power. He would never sell a technology to someone else just to reap in the money. To him, it is greatly about control as it is to just being rich. If you recall his Prometheus speech near the beginning of the flick, it is about "bringing the fire to the people" and "taking a cut." This is very much a money AND power speech. He wants the world at his feet.

He also discusses about why countries, at certain times in history, rule the world the way they do. The Romans had the road, the Americans had the Atom bomb, etc... . This Kryponite technology in his possession was key to his ruling the world. Selling it would give him no power.

And remember, one whole crystal was used to make the land. He still possessed 6 more whole crystals for which he could harness in inventing advance weaponery and the likes. He even suggested this would be his next goal if a country would oppose him.

C.

If Lex wanted power, he could have made alien tech weapons and taken over the world that way. The military would not have been able to touch him, if he was aboard a giant Kryponian warship or something. Sitting around on NK , with no defense against a military air strike, was stupid.

Last edited by The Overlord on Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master Meglomaniac wrote:

Superman getting his ass kicked while lifting an island, was lame, the island should have tore apart and pieces should have fell in the ocean while Superman was lifting it. That was pretty boring if it was supposed to be the main action sequence.

I find this kind of comment hilarious. It is kind of ironic in a way. You'll pay money to see a man (an alien) in tights, fly around, stop bullets with his eyeball no less, etc... . Then you want reality. You want the real law of gravity applied to this flick and applied where you see fit. While you cut in and out of suspending your disbelief for 2 and 1/2 hours.

It is a movie about a comicbook. Enough said.

C.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman getting his ass kicked while lifting an island, was lame, the island should have tore apart and pieces should have fell in the ocean while Superman was lifting it. That was pretty boring if it was supposed to be the main action sequence.

I find this kind of comment hilarious. It is kind of ironic in a way. You'll pay money to see a man (an alien) in tights, fly around, stop bullets with his eyeball no less, etc... . Then you want reality. You want the real law of gravity applied to this flick and applied where you see fit. While you cut in and out of suspending your disbelief for 2 and 1/2 hours.

C.

I weant internal logic, that's what I want, in Superman's universe the yellow sun gives him the power to have bullets bounce off his eyes, fly around etc, that's fine but that doesn't for the rest of the world the laws of physics no longer apply to everything else on earth for no reason. Plus my SoD went out the window with Lex's idiotic plot.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah!?!?

Well, the alien/kryptonic land mass does not follow the basic laws of gravity that we know of. Our science is flawed! Deal with it. Razz

Wink
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah!?!?

Well, the alien/kryptonic land mass does not follow the basic laws of gravity that we know of. Our science is flawed! Deal with it. Razz

Wink

Whatever, still doesn't change the fact that Lex's plan was retarded.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a beer. I was just kidding around and being a geek and all, hence the "wink."

Sorry for your loss. The movie, that is.

C.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a movie about a comicbook. Enough said.

C.

Nice work Clay. You beat me to it.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah!?!?

Wink

But that doesn't change the fact that your posts on this subject have been retarded.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Oh yeah!?!?

Wink

But that doesn't change the fact that your posts on this subject have been retarded.

Now your just being a jerk, real mature. Are always like this, calling anyone who disagrees with your opinion a retard, are you really that arrogant?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a beer. I was just kidding around and being a geek and all, hence the "wink."

Sorry for your loss. The movie, that is.

C.

Oh, I knew you were kidding, sorry if it seemed like I was snaping at you.
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola! Como esta?

There are a number of nuances that I loved. Firstly being the John Willaims redux. This is pretty well old-news, sure. But that theme / score still stirs me and it was as much of a nod to the original (Chiristopher Reeve movies) as anything else (no matter what you want to argue as what was the "biggest nod"). A new theme song could have been concieved, but it would have greatly paled in comparison; and possibly destroyed this film without it even getting off the ground. That theme song was, and remains to be, utterly magnificent. It never ceases to send chills rocketing up and down my spine.

In a previous thread, I stated that the past Superman movies were more awe-inspiring than, say, "Smallville". Outside of the nod to John Williams during the opening credits, the movie began fairly slowly and inspired lack-luster awe, if at all... until Superman struggled to put a mechanically-handicapped plane safely to the ground. It has been done in countless Superman film / television / comic incarnations (even the original 1978 film), still that sequence was visually stunning. But as hard as it tried to have emotional impact with having the Man of Steel, finally, return was a bit contrived (and, frankly, should have been left to breath a bit and build the suspence of Superman's return; i.e. Frank Miller's "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns". Still, from that moment the film lept to the heights that it did.

There was definately a number of nods to the first Superman films and Bryan Singer certainly followed Richard Donner's blue print. One thing this film did do was up the anti, a bit (is that how you spell "anti", in the gambling sense?). The Superman character is a difficult one to peg because, conceptually, he is so powerful. In the first two Superman films, the Man of Tomorrow was faced such looming catastrophies; which rivaled his very abilities. This current film followed that... and even managed to ratchet it up a bit. Superman was stretched to the end of his rope to save the day as he always does. So much so, I actually wondering how in the hell Superman was going get out of this one as he was getting his ass kicked on the obsidian Krypton(ite) landscape.

I loved the idea that he flew above the overcast clouds and charged himself like a Duracell to accomplish the task of lifting the island up, up and away. Still, a part of me was not convinced (as much as I really wanted to be swept away by the suspension of disbelief). I may be wrong (and a bit, frustratingly, distracted by a person next to me that managed to fall asleep during the movie; and at that point in the film had managed to use my shoulder as a drool deposit of a pillow), but wasn't there more than just that hunk of Krypton(ite) had hoisted, still piercing up through the Atlantic? And wouldn't there still be ramifications of the sprouting of this threatening landmass? And then, there is the whole thing with Superman coming out of his death / coma (I actually had more of a problem with that very loose, unsettlingly ambiguous development than I did with the "big reveal"; which, by the way, as aruable as the whole concept is, was handled fairly well)...

As the visuals and impending casualties have been ratcheted up from the original films, so was the portrayal of Superman as a secular messiah. There have been a number of past instances where Superman has been compared as a Christ-figure, and it has been blatantly presented in this movie with his apparent death and ressurrection.

Still, the question remains, what was it that stemmed the "ressurrection"? That point was not very well developed in the least, esspecially as important as it was the entire plot / film franchise.

As a whole, I think this movie was well-done. It rivals any other comic book movies, hands-down, even the original two Superman films. Still, I'm not sure if it completely surpasses "Spider-Man 2" or "Batman Begins" as the out-right best, but it certainly deserves honorable contention. Bryan Singer did superbly with this film, all things considered.
JR
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it tonite. For a super hero movie, I thought it was fine. Better than DD, better than Punisher, etc. Better than x2? Better than Spiderman 2? Nah, I doubt it.

I should say that I really thought Routh did a good job. all the internet trolls who said he wasn't physically imposing enough are on drugs, he looked fine.

My major problem with the film is that in Singer's efforts to make an homage, he sort of lost the story he was trying to tell. Was this the story of supermans return to earth? Was it the story of Supermans baby momma? His effect on the people? Luthors quest for power? It was all a bit muddled for me.

I hear that alot of the film was cut, so I am interested to see a DC for this, maybe it will clarify some of these things.

Also, Parker Posey is way hot. Spacey phoned in the entire movie.

Lastly, who cares if it was straight from the 78 flick? The land mass idea is ****. It made Luthor come across more of a two bit hood looking for his piece of the pie than a genius scientist that is in someways supermans equal. They cut the whole flying around the earth time travel thing, why not change this too.

Flame away, boys.

JR.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To elaborate on my opinion/review:

Lex's character was cheese. What Lex lacks in physical power, he is SUPPOSED to make up for in intelligence. That's why he is one of Superman's greatest foes. Singer or the writer or Lex should have looked at all the angles of this menacing yet funny diabolical plan. So destroy the US. Create another country in the place of the US, but don't call it the US. The US will let a known terrorist rule this barren black boulder (sorry, couldn't resist the alliteration)...sell land...then rule the world. Should I suspend my disbelief into stupidity? Even I know that plan wouldn't work in Sim City much less in the real/comic world. I suspend my disbelief to where it's magical. Not to where half of the US population may die only to have everyone accept some bald idiot who got out of jail because Supes didn't testify as their new leader. Forget money and power. Let's face it. The plan was just plain dorky.

Was the action scene amazing? YES! I loved Superman flying around in the sky. When I saw what they did in the Matrix 3, I knew a Superman movie was coming soon. Superman flying through the wing of the airplane was awesome. What a great example of what you can do on screen nowadays!

Do I wish Singer cast a character that was Superman's equal? YES! Let's see...Superman fought an airplane, got his butt handed to him by Lex, threw a big rock. A-mazing! Not really. Do I realize this movie was a jumpstart? Yes. That's why I can't completely bash this film. I understand what Singer was doing.

Put down your Superman blanket and stop rubbing your Superman trading cards for a second when you review the movie. This movie stylistically will never be better than Batman or Spiderman or X2. I do expect the next Superman movie to be awesome though.

-hylo

P.S. Absolutely nothing happened between Richard White, Lois, Clark, and kid. Yes yes, it'll explain more in the next movie, but why make this one 2 1/2 hours long with the plot going in 5 different tangents?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: