Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Watchmen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Watchmen Reply with quote

I bought the Watchmen tpb about 10 months ago. I read about half of it on and off, but I couldn't finish it. It was just too slow for me. Last week I picked up where I left off and finally finished it. I know I'm in the minority, but I just couldn't get into it. Could someone tell me why this book was a classic? Was it because of when it was written?

Also some questions:

1. What was with the backstory guy shipwrecked? Was that a story read by the guy at the newstand?
2. Why did the hero destroy NYC for the betterment of mankind?
3. What else did I miss in this story?

This was obviously a wordy mystery story about the antihero. Maybe during the time it was released, it was a great story.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.the Black Frieghter is a comic read within the story. But it's story has allusions to what is happening within Watchmen.

2.Oz destroyed NYC to bring peace to the world. Us and Russia are close to nuclear destruction...what can bring them together. A massive attack on a city by a third party in this case an "alien"...causing both nations to work together to rebuild.

3. You missed alot of undertones...too many to bring up. Rorschach's existence alone..is one of them. Etc...
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as to the whole "Black Freighter" story in Watchmen. -I struggled with this particular storyline for a few reads myself. Then someone pointed out an intersting line that I had glossed over:

SPOILER

-After Ozymandias has acheived his goal and Dr. Manhattan has silenced Rorshach, the two half a brief chat (when Jon walks up the wall to Veidt's room). Ozymandias makes begins to make the comment that he had the strangest dream, in which he was swimming towards a ship -and then quickly dismisses it before continue the conversation.

If you look at the story of the black Freighter with Ozymandias in the main role -you start to see a few parallels to the main story.

hope that helps!

Sandman
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Watchmen Reply with quote

hylozoii wrote:

This was obviously a wordy mystery story about the antihero.

You missed lots and lots and lots and lots. Lots and lots. Lots, lots, lots.

So much so that no one here could really explain it to you.

For example...who is the "antihero" you refer to?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't pinpoint on one quote I made. It was a generalization. I'm not saying I totally was lost in the story. It was definately a mystery of "who dunnit?" For me, it felt like there was a lot of backstory that wasn't really integral to the main theme or moral. I understand what Moore was getting at, but to me it was slow. I liked the characters, but Oz was hardly a part of the story in the beginning. I think it would have been much better if Oz had been in more scenes to foreshadow the end.

Sandman, are you saying that Oz is the man in that story? Also, it seemed like the Owl and friends were surprised that Oz said he could catch a bullet. Did nobody know the extent of his powers when they were together? And did the blue man send in a fake when he died? That's why he was saying "Must follow Oz." all the time. Nobody even knows the extent of his powers either. Now that I write this, I feel I was lost in the story because there was no buildup of characters and abilities. It went right to the mystery of the death of heroes and then filled in holes with backstories.
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was NOT saying that Ozymandias was the main character in the Black Freighter story. I was saying you could put him into the story in substitute for the main character. It helps define just how Veidt (Oz) sold out on all his ideals to achieve his goal.
It's pointed out in parts of the backstory that The Comedian made comments that led Veidt to his decision.

-As to backstory not revealing enough about powers, I feel that you may have missed some here as well. (I'm not criticizing your read of the book here. -It's not the easiest read in the world and if drawn out over a length of time without much rereading -there's a LOT to miss!)

As to Dr. Manhattan's power levels not being described in depth, look at what happened right after Veidt disintegrated him. When he came back moments later -he told Veidt (as seen in his backstory) that the very first trick he learned was reassambling all his molecules. -And if he can do THAT -well, what CAN'T he do!

Veidt's power levels aren't as explicitly revealed ahead of time -I'll give you that one. But you saw that the man had nearly every contingency plotted and planned out ahead of time. -So sending an assassin after himself, you KNOW that he was going to be able get out of it somehow. Sure, catching a bullet seems farfetched to you. It did to NiteOwl too. -That was a way to emphasize just much Veidt was truly capable of as a mortal man.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Sandman. I'm trying to review the story again.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a review I did not long ago - hopefully it explains why I like Watchmen.

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/116577491411149.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: