Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

The New Kingpin (SPOILERS)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
the Avengers disasembled and "new" and "imporved" version of the team--with Wolverine,

ZING!
Quote:

with a "new" and "improved" Avengers! team--with Wolverine, no less!;

ZING!!
Quote:

and Spidey in the black suit just in time for the movie!;

ZING!!!

This one in particular has me spinning. There was some interview where Joey Q was asked point blank whether or not they put Spidey in black because of the movie. He was like, "no, no, no". But then the solicts came out and, wouldn't you know it, the month Spidey 3 comes out every Spidey title has a cover with a giant Spidey in his black suit . It's insane. It's just insane.

Quote:

Anwyay, I'm a little worried about the future of Marvel as it pertains to holding my interest.

Yeah, I had that thought the other day when Bendis revealed his "who is Ronin...this time?" thing. I mean, Civil War is such crap and the only way the Avengers could be more ridiculous is if Gambit joined the team. But maybe that's Marvel. They've set their sights on the kids. There's the odd hold out (god bless Astonishing X-Men) but maybe it's time to pack up shop and move to Vertigo Town (with frequent visits to Imageberg).

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now to be fair this Hood storyline is taking place in the New Avengers, Brubaker might just ignore it and decide to do his own thing in the DD title.

I agree that Brubaker has done a great job as a writer. In fact, he's the best thing in Volume 2, IMO. But, I have this unnerving feeling he's going to fall in line like a good little boy and drink from the Quesada/Bendis teet (in regards to "the Hood"). Let's pray Bru makes it work and not mention Civil Crap too much.

Quote:
I still think Kingpin is overexposed in recent years (that is Bendis' fault, ironically) and he a needs take a vacation for a few years in order to avoid becomming stale. Seriously Fisk is going to rebuild his empire for a third time? What if DD overthrows him again? How many times can same guy rebuild a criminal empire only to be overthrown. I don't see what the problem is with Brubaker giving Kingpin a time out so he can develop his own villains, try to make his individual mark on the title rather recycling the same stories and characters every DD writer for the past 20 years has been using.

I do believe I said the KP needs to be gone for a while. So, uh, yeah.

rgj
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Quote:
Now to be fair this Hood storyline is taking place in the New Avengers, Brubaker might just ignore it and decide to do his own thing in the DD title.

I agree that Brubaker has done a great job as a writer. In fact, he's the best thing in Volume 2, IMO. But, I have this unnerving feeling he's going to fall in line like a good little boy and drink from the Quesada/Bendis teet (in regards to "the Hood"). Let's pray Bru makes it work and not mention Civil Crap too much.

Quote:
I still think Kingpin is overexposed in recent years (that is Bendis' fault, ironically) and he a needs take a vacation for a few years in order to avoid becomming stale. Seriously Fisk is going to rebuild his empire for a third time? What if DD overthrows him again? How many times can same guy rebuild a criminal empire only to be overthrown. I don't see what the problem is with Brubaker giving Kingpin a time out so he can develop his own villains, try to make his individual mark on the title rather recycling the same stories and characters every DD writer for the past 20 years has been using.

I do believe I said the KP needs to be gone for a while. So, uh, yeah.

rgj

I never said that you disagreed with the idea of giving KP vacation, I was just restating my belief on Kingpin for my own edification.

There are a lot of unknowns here, we don't know if Brubaker will deal with this storyline or not or how Bendis will even handle it in New Avengers.

Let's say worse case scernario, Bendis does the Hood storyline, it sucks and Brubaker has to deal with it in DD. Brubaker could very well make lemonade out of lemons, for example instead of DD fighting the Hood (who will be engaged with fighting the New avengers) Matt has deal with one of the Hood's lieutenants who is trying to take over Hell's Kitchen. So Brubaker deals with the Hood story, but gives it his own spin focusing on DD vs. the lieutenant, leaving the main Hood story in the New Avengers title.
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually read The Hood mini-series when it came it out. I thought it was pretty enjoyable and wanted to see more of the character. I picked up Beyond! simply on the grounds that The Hood was in it as well.

While Beyond was enjoyable, it didn't accurately portray The Hood as he had been in his mini. It seemed that all he did in Beyond was shoot at things lamely and miss.

So I've had hopes that The Hood would be used again, and admittedly, I'd like to see the character succeed -just because I enjoyed the mini so much.

-BUT - I can't see any way at all that he should become the new master villain. -He has wits compared to no-brainers like Constrictor and Shocker, but to put him up against THE AVENGERS!?!?!?! Even being a fan of the character, I absolutely cringe at Bendis' new ideas for him. He's a villain with the desire to be an up and comer, but this is out of his league. It's like saying Foggy upholds the law so he should lead SHIELD.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj and jc, all I have to say is "52." Razz

I did a complete 180 from Marvel to DC, the year when Marvel was doing House of M and DC was doing the Infinite Crisis build up. Don't get me wrong, I don't think a reader should pick one company or the other but it was just coincidence that one started getting worse while the other starting tearing it up. Sure, 2006 was a bit rough for DC but the overall game plan has always been trying to put out good comics and 2007 is going to be one heck of a rebound for DC. Meanwhile, Marvel is slipping further and further into hollow gimmicks (e.g. too many examples to list but I can't resist bringing up Thunderbolts again Razz). Sure, they're making tons of cash with shallow marketing but then again, so did the Backstreet Boys.

....sorry, my soapbox. Razz
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandman wrote:
I actually read The Hood mini-series when it came it out. I thought it was pretty enjoyable and wanted to see more of the character. I picked up Beyond! simply on the grounds that The Hood was in it as well.

While Beyond was enjoyable, it didn't accurately portray The Hood as he had been in his mini. It seemed that all he did in Beyond was shoot at things lamely and miss.

So I've had hopes that The Hood would be used again, and admittedly, I'd like to see the character succeed -just because I enjoyed the mini so much.

-BUT - I can't see any way at all that he should become the new master villain. -He has wits compared to no-brainers like Constrictor and Shocker, but to put him up against THE AVENGERS!?!?!?! Even being a fan of the character, I absolutely cringe at Bendis' new ideas for him. He's a villain with the desire to be an up and comer, but this is out of his league. It's like saying Foggy upholds the law so he should lead SHIELD.

After doing a litle research on this character, I would agree, the Hood seems like a clever petty criminal, not a criminal mastermind. I like the idea of a Kingpin of super villans, but I'm not sure this guy should be it. I think there are better options to fill this position.

Personally though I like the idea of a super villain Kingpin, I wonder who would have been a better option. I always thought Don Fortunato was a smart cookie and seemed like a worthy rival of the Kingpin (unlike bottom feeders like the Owl), but he is not a super villain.

However Count Nefaria has powers (he is almost an evil Superman) and has been a crme boss plaguing the Avengers since the 60s. He seems like a better option and could give the New Avengers way more problems then the Hood, but DD would have no chance against that guy.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting concept. A "kingpin" of supervillains will always have a major weakness: crazy villains, of which they are TONS!

A usual crime boss/kingpin gets his way through power and fear. So, he is susceptible to anyone who is either more powerful and/or not afraid. Think about how many psycho villains out there cannot be threatened on any real level because they don't have any people or things in their lives they care about.

...sorry for this DC example but I just haven't been reading much Marvel:

Think about the Joker who ultimately brought down the mastermind behind Infinite Crisis. The Joker is by no means more powerful than Alex Luthor but he is fearless in a sense. He is so crazy and uncontrollable that he was intentionally avoided when Alex rallied the villains together.

Fisk would regularly sit in a room with his arch enemies (Spidey, DD, etc.), fairly unguarded. This new kingpin won't last long with these "kingpin in the tower" confrontations because he'll have supervillain enemies who will be out to kill him without regard to consequences and with nothing to lose, quite unlike the hero enemies of Fisk.

Different note, how would The Hood stand up to the likes of Hydra, Dr. Doom, etc.?

Regarding The Hood, I'm going to pass. I LOVE Jenkins 1st Sentry mini and I got extremely excited about the Sentry's inclusion in the New Avengers and simply returning to the Marvel U. Since then, it has been a very mediocre ride for the Sentry. Considering the way that these Bendis-out-of-left-field characters have been treated, I'm afraid The Hood may face similar fate.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Forrest, there two types of villains, crazy ones and professional ones. Professional villains have a major advanatge over crazy villains, they are far more organized. To use a DC example, look at the Rogues, Flash's enemies. They are almost like a super villain union, they are organized and that's one of the reasons they can cause problems for Flash. They are a bigger threat to the Flash then lone psychos like Murmur. Now the Rogues aren't that ruthless, they still stick to robbing banks and likely wouldn't get into the drug trade, they commit crimes for fun (they enjoy matching wits with Flash) and seem to avoid civilian deaths if possible. A super villain mafia group would just as organized and more ruthless than the Rogues, making them very dangerous. If such a group were created, it would be hard for a random crazy to take them down.

The only reason Alex Luthor died is because at the end of crossover, he went down the wrong the alley and got blind sided by Luthor and Joker. Alex Luthor didn't have any of his resoruces or alies, so its not Joker or Lex did anything that impressive when they killed him. If Kingpin went down an alley and met Carnage there he would be dead too. Frankly Kingpin is lucky that a random crazy like Carnage or even Doc Ock never tried to kill him. However it would be hard for a random crazy villain to take down Count Nefaria, considering he is an evil Superman.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
A super villain mafia group would just as organized and more ruthless than the Rogues, making them very dangerous. If such a group were created, it would be hard for a random crazy to take them down.

Agreed that a random crazy would have a hard time taking down the Flash rogues collectively. However, a single kingpin is a different story.

The Overlord wrote:
The only reason Alex Luthor died is because at the end of crossover, he went down the wrong the alley and got blind sided by Luthor and Joker.

Even if he hadn't been in that alley at that time, I think his end was inevitable. He wasn't powerful enough to create the events of Infinite Crisis; he used others through fear (the society), manipulation (Superboy Prime), etc. This created enemies for him that are very dangerous. So, after he failed, I am confident that the likes of Lex and The Joker would find him and bring about his death, regardless.

The Overlord wrote:
If Kingpin went down an alley and met Carnage there he would be dead too. Frankly Kingpin is lucky that a random crazy like Carnage or even Doc Ock never tried to kill him.

Well, what did Fisk ever do to make these villains mad? Fisk's enemies were primarily other human/moderately powered mofia types (Hammerhead, Yakuza, etc.) and heroes, who though they may be powered, would never kill, etc. (Sure, Punisher, Wolverine, etc. are exceptions.) I.e. when DD brought down Fisk, it was generally through using the law / putting Fisk in jail.

If a person is trying to be a kingpin by intimidating and messing with supervillains, then his biggest enemy is supervillains who will kill in the blink of an eye.

The primary difference between the examples of Fisk, the Flash Rogues, etc. and someone like Alex Luthor is who they made enemies with. In the former case, it was usually more sane, somtimes more lawful and/or less powerful types. In the later, many of his enemies were neither sane, lawful or lacking power. (E.g. Post IC, I'm sure Black Adam would have taken down Alex in a heartbeat, given the chance.) That was the bulk of my point, which I just bring up for discussion. It will be interesting to see if a new kingpin can reign in the likes of Venom, Bullseye, etc. and not get killed in the process.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
A super villain mafia group would just as organized and more ruthless than the Rogues, making them very dangerous. If such a group were created, it would be hard for a random crazy to take them down.

Agreed that a random crazy would have a hard time taking down the Flash rogues collectively. However, a single kingpin is a different story.

The Overlord wrote:
The only reason Alex Luthor died is because at the end of crossover, he went down the wrong the alley and got blind sided by Luthor and Joker.

Even if he hadn't been in that alley at that time, I think his end was inevitable. He wasn't powerful enough to create the events of Infinite Crisis; he used others through fear (the society), manipulation (Superboy Prime), etc. This created enemies for him that are very dangerous. So, after he failed, I am confident that the likes of Lex and The Joker would find him and bring about his death, regardless.

The Overlord wrote:
If Kingpin went down an alley and met Carnage there he would be dead too. Frankly Kingpin is lucky that a random crazy like Carnage or even Doc Ock never tried to kill him.

Well, what did Fisk ever do to make these villains mad? Fisk's enemies were primarily other human/moderately powered mofia types (Hammerhead, Yakuza, etc.) and heroes, who though they may be powered, would never kill, etc. (Sure, Punisher, Wolverine, etc. are exceptions.) I.e. when DD brought down Fisk, it was generally through using the law / putting Fisk in jail.

If a person is trying to be a kingpin by intimidating and messing with supervillains, then his biggest enemy is supervillains who will kill in the blink of an eye.

The primary difference between the examples of Fisk, the Flash Rogues, etc. and someone like Alex Luthor is who they made enemies with. In the former case, it was usually more sane, somtimes more lawful and/or less powerful types. In the later, many of his enemies were neither sane, lawful or lacking power. (E.g. Post IC, I'm sure Black Adam would have taken down Alex in a heartbeat, given the chance.) That was the bulk of my point, which I just bring up for discussion. It will be interesting to see if a new kingpin can reign in the likes of Venom, Bullseye, etc. and not get killed in the process.

Forrest, did you see my post on the first page? I think if someone wants to be Kingpin of super villans, they would have to have super villain lieutenants to help establish his power. These lieutenants will be the more professional villains that would be more interested in money than bloodshed. Give a bunch of these professional villains control over the day to day criminal operations of different sections of the city (Harlem, Hell's Kitchen). It would be a super villain group run like a business, the top guy would be the CEO, while the Lieutenants would be members of the board of directors. A super villain co-op if you will. So this new Kingpin would have an army of villains that would be motivated to defend this group to ensure their own cash flow. Random crazy villains would be hard pressed to mess with a super villain mafia group.

The problem is who would be cunning and powerful enough to create such a group. I don't think the Hood is not the best option, going from a mook to the new Kingpin overnight is silly. Count Nefaria would make more sense as a super villain Kingpin, he has powers and has been a crime boss since the 60s. No one lone crazy villain would be able to take him on in a fight. Of course DD wouldn't stand a chance against him, Nefaria is too powerful for him.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
Forrest, did you see my post on the first page?

Actually, I didn't. (My bad.)

The Overlord wrote:
I think if someone wants to be Kingpin of super villans, they would have to have super villain lieutenants to help establish his power. These lieutenants will be the more professional villains that would be more interested in money than bloodshed. Give a bunch of these professional villains control over the day to day criminal operations of different sections of the city (Harlem, Hell's Kitchen). It would be a super villain group run like a business, the top guy would be the CEO, while the Lieutenants would be members of the board of directors. A super villain co-op if you will. So this new Kingpin would have an army of villains that would be motivated to defend this group to ensure their own cash flow. Random crazy villains would be hard pressed to mess with a super villain mafia group.

The problem is who would be cunning and powerful enough to create such a group.

Good point. ...why doesn't an existing group like Hydra, The Hand, etc. do this?

The Overlord wrote:
Of course DD wouldn't stand a chance against him, Nefaria is too powerful for him.

I wonder how much of this new Kingpin stuff will involve DD.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, this is all very sketch. As Overlord points out, in order to have a Kingpin of supervillians you need to have some weird supervilian business model thing. As far as I'm concerned this is another non-starter as far as the House of Ideas' ideas.

Who would be in this Evil Corp.? The thing is, the Kingpin made sense because all of his employees made sense. They were the mob. He was the mob. Every once and a while he'd hire some costumed assassins (Bullseye, Nuke, Typhoid) but over all he was just the mafia. The whole evil corporation made sense because Kingpin and all his employees wanted the same thing.

This same thinking just doesn't apply to supervillians. Some villians want money, sure, but by no means most of them. All the X-Men supervillians traditionally have markedly different goals other than money. And as Forrest points out, some villians don't have any goals. They're just crazy.

I think Marvel just wants to have press conferences where people say "cool" things like "he'll be the Kingpin of supervillians" without actually thinking it through.

Boo.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc, you basically said what I meant to say with all those posts, only more clear and concise than I did.

...I try not to come across too negative when this sort of recent Marvel news comes up because I don't want to appear biased... even though I am biased. Razz

I just can't get behind 90% of the big ideas going around in the House of Ideas, these days. Even worse, many of these big Marvel ideas, like the new Thunderbolts, Wolverine Origins, yet another Ronin mystery, the end of Civil War #2, Civil War in general, etc., leave me with very negative reactions. It's getting to the point were I can't tell if Marvel is really getting this bad or if I'm just getting extremely biased. Razz
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Ahhhh, this is all very sketch. As Overlord points out, in order to have a Kingpin of supervillians you need to have some weird supervilian business model thing. As far as I'm concerned this is another non-starter as far as the House of Ideas' ideas.

Who would be in this Evil Corp.? The thing is, the Kingpin made sense because all of his employees made sense. They were the mob. He was the mob. Every once and a while he'd hire some costumed assassins (Bullseye, Nuke, Typhoid) but over all he was just the mafia. The whole evil corporation made sense because Kingpin and all his employees wanted the same thing.

This same thinking just doesn't apply to supervillians. Some villians want money, sure, but by no means most of them. All the X-Men supervillians traditionally have markedly different goals other than money. And as Forrest points out, some villians don't have any goals. They're just crazy.

I think Marvel just wants to have press conferences where people say "cool" things like "he'll be the Kingpin of supervillians" without actually thinking it through.

Boo.

Well if one wanted to be the Kingpin of super villains, I would hope that individual would have a little more common sense then to invite every super villain in the planet to join. I don't think Kingpin let everyone who applied to join his organization.

Look the group of Flash villains known as the rogues, they are a super villain union more or less. If you want join them you have to follow certain rules (no drugs, no needless killing of civilians, etc) and would punish or exspelled any member who disobeyed those rules (Captain Cold beat up Mirror Master when he found out he was using drugs). The Rogues don't just invite any lunatic who wants to join in, that's why serial killers like Murmur are not invited.

If a super villain mafia were to suceed, it have to have rules and standards for membership. A possible precurser to a MU super villain mafia was a group called in the new Enforcers (led by Mr. Fear, Controller, Fixer, Mentallo and Sunset Bain) who attempted to seize control of the underworld after DD overthrew the Kingpin the first time in the early 90s in the web of Spider-man title. They used pawns like Dragon Man to do the grunt work. Of course that story didn't really go any where, so that might not be the best example. But villains like the ones mentioned above, who are fairly ruthless, somewhat intelligent and interested in money rather than bloodshed or ideology would make up the membership. Then this inner circle would get a bunch of super powered thugs and mercs to do the grunt work.

After a little research though, it seems like the super villain mafia idea may less original then first thought. The idea may have already been done in Savage Dragon. I may cool on the idea if it has already been done before. Oh well.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Hey Brubaker Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

Precisely! Reckless, ill-conceived, ill-considered, foolhardy story lines are Marvel's modus operandi. Marvel rushes headlong into decisions without weighing the consequences. Let's hurriedly, impulsively, hastily divulge Peter Parker's identity! That will astonish them! No doubt. But...is it a wise, sensible, farsighted decision - ? Will the Spider-Man titles thrive in the long term - or will this unthinking decision prove disastrous? But...sales are outstanding at present, Marvel counters. Yes, but will sales be stellar in the long term? It is highly improbable. Civil War is very much akin to the ill-fated Fall from Grace. DD sales mushroomed initially, then plunged. And the comic floundered for years afterwards. If Marvel doesn't abandon its mapcap, devil-may-care approach, readers will ultimately forsake its titles. Guaranteed.

Norman Osborn and other villans - enforcing the law? Thoughtless. Ill-advised. Impetuous. Mindless. Marvel must turn a deaf ear to Brian Michael Bendis and other blundering scribes before it is too late.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: