Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

If The Incredible Hulk and Punsiher: War Zone do well....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disco_Stu
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: If The Incredible Hulk and Punsiher: War Zone do well.... Reply with quote

.......do you think there is a chance Marvel will make another DD movie? I don't understand why Marvel seems to really want to hold on to the Punisher and Hulk movies but not DareDevil. I guess that just goes to show you how underrated DD is. Sad
Now I'm not saying I want to see a DD2, I just want to see a whole new DD film.
Ali Kryton
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering this for awhile. Hulk and The Punisher were both worse franchise-launches than Daredevil, and yet desperate (and IMMEDIATE) attempts are being made to salvage them. Where's the love?

Ironically enough, I think it's because DD was a mediocre success in the film world (emphasis on mediocre) that it's being altogether ignored. At this point, my feeling is that neither Marvel nor the studio knows what to do: go ahead and make a flat-out sequel to the first film, or scrap everything and go back to the drawing board (a la The Incredible Hulk).

It's sad, because damn, am I dying to get a proper realization of this character. (More than that, I want to see him get the respect he deserves.)

On that note. I was watching Glory recently for a film class, and was struck by how easily I could see Cary Elwes back then as Matt Murdock (not so much in his current state today - he's a bit older and heavier now). Heh.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ali Kryton wrote:
On that note. I was watching Glory recently for a film class, and was struck by how easily I could see Cary Elwes back then as Matt Murdock (not so much in his current state today - he's a bit older and heavier now). Heh.

From films like Sex, Lies and Videotape and Dreamlover, I always thought James Spader looked exactly like John Romita Jr's depiction of Daredevil. He's somewhat past that now.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

From films like Sex, Lies and Videotape and Dreamlover, I always thought James Spader looked exactly like John Romita Jr's depiction of Daredevil. He's somewhat past that now.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. After 'Sex, Lies and Videotape', I haven't appreciated Spader's acting much. It's usually way too understated for me. The only exception would be the movie, 'Secretary'. I thought he was decent in that role. But as far as the JR JR Murdock goes, Spader certainly had the look, 20 years and 30 pounds ago.
Disco_Stu
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy but the other night my fincee' (sp?) and I were watching The Bachelor (horrible movie btw) and I thought to myself that if Chris O'Donnell can play a dark character I could see him playing Matt. I'm not in love with this idea, just a thought.
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought a young Robert Redford would have made a great Matt Murdock. But he's way too old for that now.

I still think Brad Pitt would be a good choice but he would never do it.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: If The Incredible Hulk and Punsiher: War Zone do well... Reply with quote

Disco_Stu wrote:
.......do you think there is a chance Marvel will make another DD movie?

I think that the chance would be realistic, yes.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: If The Incredible Hulk and Punsiher: War Zone do well... Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Disco_Stu wrote:
.......do you think there is a chance Marvel will make another DD movie?

I think that the chance would be realistic, yes.

I could see it (of course logic can be blinded by emotion) if the other Marvel hero films do well. I think if the Iron Man film does well, that would greatly enhance the chances. DD has a lot of cachet (sorry for the pretentiousness of the word) right now, I think, mainly due to the current creative team. The award winning current creative team, at that. I would imagine a Captain America movie would come out first, though. There's a bigger buzz factor. Down the road, sans MSJ, I can see another DD film. It most likely wouldn't be for awhile. 5 years, maybe.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start over, reboot, whatever you want to call it. I think Oliver Hudson, Kate's brother, could make a decent choice for DD. He's young enough to carry the franchise for more than one movie.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Man Without Fear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco_Stu wrote:
Call me crazy but the other night my fincee' (sp?) and I were watching The Bachelor (horrible movie btw) and I thought to myself that if Chris O'Donnell can play a dark character I could see him playing Matt. I'm not in love with this idea, just a thought.

I think Chris O'Donnell would be a great choice, in my opinion, to play the role of Matt Murdock/Daredevil.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not foresee another DD film for awhile. If you've seen how successful Iron Man was and the ending of The Incredible Hulk, the safe assumption would be a Captain America and Thor or even an AntMan film to precede the imminent Avengers film to come. I hope they make a new DD film before ten years. But I don't see it. Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were awesome films.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with another Daredevil movie, especially a reboot is this: what would be different? The first one was "gritty" and vaguely true to the comic (but not really) and had Kingpin, Bullseye, Elektra, Stick, etc.. A "reboot" would just be a remake of the same film. Sure, we'd all see the difference (say if the origin was changed back to the original - Matt gets blinded being a hero, not just being careless) but no one else would. To the public it would seem almost exactly the same.

The reason they're re-trying Hulk and Punisher is because those are long standing successful and publicly known frachises. No one knew who Daredevil was before the 2003 movie. After the movie everyone thinks he's a crappy character who was in a crappy movie. It would be suicidal to try a third movie (like it or not everyone except MSJ saw Elektra as Daredevil 2).

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a reboot could work, but I do think several more years should pass before it is attempted. And, hopefully by someone who really loves the character and mythology. Not some chump that is just trying to make his way into directing and writing films and would say anything (*lie*) to get the job.

Just to answer jc, I don't think the reboot has to include Elektra for one thing. As jc said the origin could be restored (not that any one single thing made the movie bad, rather it was just the sum of it that made it stink). Also, they can make Karen Page an important character and set up a future BA movie. And, there are many other things a good script and directing can bring. You could actually see Ben Urich investigate Daredevil. Mabye, culminating with a rooftop confrontation with him giving DD the old "Tell me what's on this picture?" test. For heaven's sake, any good script, good directing and good acting can make an audience understand the difference between a good film and a bad one. I don't think many people knew who Iron Man was (as all the RottenTomatoes reviews admitted) but, a good solid effort in movie making can make a difference.

So, Marvel, get the rights back, wait a while and find someone who really loves the character, or at least understands him. I'm not saying the movie/script has to be Gospel to the DD mythos, it just has to be good.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe after a number of years (like, 5-10 from now) they could try again. Dunno why they would though. There are tonnes of Marvel characters. Like it or not DD is a b-lister. The fact that they tried to make a DD movie at all is astounding. If they took another shot at it I'd be amazed.

As for rgj's response to me...I dunno. See, even though you're just throwing ideas out there, to me the movie you're describing is still pretty close to the 2003 one. Sure Elektra could be scrapped and maybe the Ben angle would be different and, again, you and I would notice all these things. The average person? Not so much.

My point is that to redo it I feel like there'd have to be something new. A new direction that would justify trying it again. What you're decribing is a movie with the same basic direction as the first one...only good. I think that boat has sailed.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc wrote:
My point is that to redo it I feel like there'd have to be something new. A new direction that would justify trying it again. What you're decribing is a movie with the same basic direction as the first one...only good. I think that boat has sailed.

Yeah, it may have, indeed, sailed.

As far as something "new." I dunno, they still have to be DD characters. Matt, Foggy, Karen and Ben. You still need a blinded as a boy/father killed by mob (only not KP!) origin. You can't get away from that or it won't be DD.

You are right, DD is a "B" character, in terms of awareness and Marvel priority. But, I can still see this happening some 5-10 years down the road. But, yeah, well after the Avengers thing they currently have on the table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: