Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Fear's disease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Fear's disease Reply with quote

Milla will probably never recover from Fear's disease, and this may force an end to Matt's marriage. I don't mind, because I thought the marriage was an odd thing to introduce into the book, especially since Matt was still in mourning for Karen.

Melvin Potter is also still affected by Fear's disease. By no means do I think he should be removed from the book. I've always enjoyed him as a character, whether Stan Lee, Frank Miller or Denny O'Neil was writing him. And the fact he was rehabilited effectively made him a source of inspiration.

It's possible that Fear's disease could turn Potter into a new Gladiator. That would effectively negate his rehabilitation (although it seems that he was getting back into criminal activity during Bendis' run), and that is regrettable, but it could still be interesting. This Gladiator would be a victim in that he didn't choose this life.

If Fear's disease simply incapacitates Potter, then it's a lost opportunity. Some would say the same thing when it comes to Milla as well, although I'm not sure what could be done with her at this point.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me suspects that Brubaker doesn't have a long term plan regarding Milla, or even for a shodown with Larry Cranston. I think he has effectively put the two of them "in the refrigerator" for the moment.

Apart from this, I thought I could put here some reflections I did on Mr Fear's new pheromone chemicals.
With the conclusion of the Without Fear storyarc, we learn that not only Cranston has made himself immune to fear, but now his mere presence can instill in the others a type of fear that effectively makes them subservient to him.

That's a lot of power if you think about it. All of it obtained through artificial means.
Now, my question is, can all this power come without drawbacks? Fear is a basic survival mechanism, something that allows living species to survive, you know, fight or flight and all that.
Can you just drink a potion and remove your fear without seriously messing your psyche?
Is Cranston already suffering from these side-effects? He was already shown to be insanely obsessed with ruining Matt's life. Being able to obtain whatever he wants by ordering people around, and being without fear also effectively diminishes the pleasure he is able to experience. Basically, what is left to him is only hating Murdock and trying make his life miserable.

And, if Matt manages to get completely back up after the blow Cranston has delivered him, after all his efforts at ruining his life (which came at the cost of altering his organism to something unnatural) is it possible that, more than before, the inability to defeat Matt's spirit despite everything will become, to him, the worst of the nightmares?
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Part of me suspects that Brubaker doesn't have a long term plan regarding Milla

agreed. i think that this is Bru's equilivant to moving Karen Page out to Los Angeles to be an actress. the way that he wrote Milla out of the book left the next writer an easy opportunity to bring her back.

Francesco wrote:
Now, my question is, can all this power come without drawbacks?

i don't see how it can't have serious consequences. i'd like to see this explored a bit more. i guess it depends on how much of Cranston's fear has been "erased". i'm willing to bet that he would "fear" standing in front of a city bus on a busy street....so his self-preservation instinct would remain in tact. i wonder if his fear response has been reduced and not totally eliminated. but i'm rambling here....

Francesco wrote:
Being able to obtain whatever he wants by ordering people around, and being without fear also effectively diminishes the pleasure he is able to experience. Basically, what is left to him is only hating Murdock and trying make his life miserable.

interesting thought. personally, i don't think that getting whatever i wanted would diminish the pleasure..... Wink Sponge bath from the Night Nurse Wink

Francesco wrote:
And, if Matt manages to get completely back up after the blow Cranston has delivered him, after all his efforts at ruining his life (which came at the cost of altering his organism to something unnatural) is it possible that, more than before, the inability to defeat Matt's spirit despite everything will become, to him, the worst of the nightmares?

The Kingpin would know how that feels.
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cranston didnt seem to be "not enjoying" his time in prison, he was living it up and being happy about it it seemed, as he was revelling in his victory over matt

train wrote:

Cranston isnt the kingpin, although it seems like he is pretending to be. He is an addict who has know fear and has more power than he can handle. The Kingpin grew up with his power. I think the removal of power from the kingpin is more effective than the removal of power from cranston, because Cranston... just randomly got his. Fisk earned his.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcWagz wrote:
Cranston didnt seem to be "not enjoying" his time in prison, he was living it up and being happy about it it seemed, as he was revelling in his victory over matt

True enough, but how longer will it last before a) his nervous system brings him the check; b) he gets tired of it and becomes obsessed with Matt Murdock again?
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcWagz wrote:

train wrote:

Cranston isnt the kingpin, although it seems like he is pretending to be. He is an addict who has know fear and has more power than he can handle. The Kingpin grew up with his power. I think the removal of power from the kingpin is more effective than the removal of power from cranston, because Cranston... just randomly got his. Fisk earned his.

I was only referring to the realization that Cranston, like Fisk, can't destroy Matt's spirit.
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="train"]
MarcWagz wrote:

train wrote:

I was only referring to the realization that Cranston, like Fisk, can't destroy Matt's spirit.

Matts spirit gets crushed all the time. He was bordeline insane in born again, I figured that fairly spiritless. I guess it depends on how you define it
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcWagz wrote:
Matts spirit gets crushed all the time. He was bordeline insane in born again, I figured that fairly spiritless. I guess it depends on how you define it

My old football coach used to say "It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you get back up."

If Matt was truly spiritless, he would stop getting up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: