Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil movie reboot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Daredevil movie reboot? Reply with quote

I didn't know whether to start a new thread or continue an old one, but I thought that this news was significant enough that it was worthy of a new thread topic (and might be worth mentioning on the news page, too?).

Anyway, IESB.com have just posted this interview with Tom Rothman, in which the possibility of a Daredevil reboot is discussed:

Quote:
IESB: One of the brands that has made Fox a lot of money is Marvel. Recently, there was a reboot of the Hulk, which was alright, but I think it was mainly to get it ready for the Avengers film coming up. But there are two Marvel properties you control amongst others, Daredevil and Elektra. Both films didn't do too well but...reboot maybe?

Tom Rothman: A Daredevil, to use your words, reboot, is something we are thinking very seriously about.

IESB: Soon?

TR: Soon?

IESB: I have to ask.

TR: You've lost a lot a weight now Robert and you are going to live for a long time, this is the movie business, nothing is soon.

IESB: But there aren't any issues rights wise you would have to look into?

TR: No. We've got all the rights. And yes, I think that the thing the Hulk showed although, it did what it did, is that it is possible, that if you really do it right the audience will give you a second chance. That it is possible. And I think that you see that when they did Batman Begins, the first Nolan movie, that you can have made some mistakes along the way or movies that the audience wasn't that crazy about and then given the proper amount of time and the right creative vision behind it, you can, to use your word, reboot.

IESB: And Iron Man proved that a second tier hero done right can make lots of money.

TR: Correct, but these are good properties and I am actually encouraged by both the Hulk experience and particularly by what they did with Batman, after the relative disappointment of what the last Batman was [1990's incarnations].

IESB: Would you do Daredevil as dark as The Dark Knight?

TR: Would it be as dark? I don't know because what it really needs is, it needs a visionary at the level that Chris Nolan was. It needs someone, it needs a director, honestly, who has a genuine vision. What we wouldn't do is just do it for the sake of doing it. Right? What we try to do is to get a creative engine for it, that really had a great vision for it, that's what we would look for.
Ali Kryton
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very much encouraged by that last paragraph. I don't like Tom Rothman much, but I appreciate that he recognizes the bar has been raised for films of this type, and that just churning out a "tolerable", mass-marketed Daredevil remake is a mistake. DD is not an easy character to translate to film - it needs a director with a vision, and a respect for the property's themes, ethos, and dynamic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: