Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Your help needed for random DD facts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dash
Flying Blind


Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 94

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. yeah...

whats that from though?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Francesco
Underboss


Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DD-fu is a little rusty, but I think early Miller's run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blacktyphoid
Playing to the Camera


Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Francesco wrote:
But in fact he isn't. I thought so too, but I saw several examples of him using his right hand to write.


But is there ever a point in the book where he's referred to as left handed?


No. I don't think so. At least I haven't seen it. I base my statement on evidence that is far more circumstantial. Here it is:

In Westerns, right handed gunslingers always drew their weapons from holsters on their right thigh. In a gunfight, it made no sense for a right handed gunslinger to have to reach around his body to grab a gun strapped to his left thigh. By the time he tries, he dies. There's a natural anatomical connection: right hand = right thigh.

On that iconic, first ever Kirby/Everett cover of DD vol. 1, no. 1, it clearly shows Daredevil's left hand reaching into a holster strapped to his left thigh to grab his billy club. To me, that demonstrates that Daredevil, right from the get-go, was intended to be a left handed superhero. Left hand = left thigh - like the gunslinger, that's the quickest, easiest way to grab his billy club. And for a superhero who spends a disproportionate amount of his time travelling across New York on his billly club, he's got to be quick or he dies.

Therefore - and Kuljit take note of this point - Daredevil was unique for TWO physically-related reasons:

1) he has an impairment (blind)
2) he's left handed.

Any rate, that's my theory.

__________________
blacktyphoid
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D


Joined: 30 Jul 2004
Posts: 1994
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacktyphoid wrote:
james castle wrote:
Francesco wrote:
But in fact he isn't. I thought so too, but I saw several examples of him using his right hand to write.


But is there ever a point in the book where he's referred to as left handed?


No. I don't think so. At least I haven't seen it. I base my statement on evidence that is far more circumstantial. Here it is:

In Westerns, right handed gunslingers always drew their weapons from holsters on their right thigh. In a gunfight, it made no sense for a right handed gunslinger to have to reach around his body to grab a gun strapped to his left thigh. By the time he tries, he dies. There's a natural anatomical connection: right hand = right thigh.

On that iconic, first ever Kirby/Everett cover of DD vol. 1, no. 1, it clearly shows Daredevil's left hand reaching into a holster strapped to his left thigh to grab his billy club. To me, that demonstrates that Daredevil, right from the get-go, was intended to be a left handed superhero. Left hand = left thigh - like the gunslinger, that's the quickest, easiest way to grab his billy club. And for a superhero who spends a disproportionate amount of his time travelling across New York on his billly club, he's got to be quick or he dies.

Therefore - and Kuljit take note of this point - Daredevil was unique for TWO physically-related reasons:

1) he has an impairment (blind)
2) he's left handed.

Any rate, that's my theory.

__________________
blacktyphoid


Errr. I thought it was Random Daredevil Facts, not Random Daredevil Theories People Have Based on Very Little Evidence.
_________________
JC

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
blacktyphoid
Playing to the Camera


Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
blacktyphoid wrote:
james castle wrote:
Francesco wrote:
But in fact he isn't. I thought so too, but I saw several examples of him using his right hand to write.


But is there ever a point in the book where he's referred to as left handed?


No. I don't think so. At least I haven't seen it. I base my statement on evidence that is far more circumstantial. Here it is:

In Westerns, right handed gunslingers always drew their weapons from holsters on their right thigh. In a gunfight, it made no sense for a right handed gunslinger to have to reach around his body to grab a gun strapped to his left thigh. By the time he tries, he dies. There's a natural anatomical connection: right hand = right thigh.

On that iconic, first ever Kirby/Everett cover of DD vol. 1, no. 1, it clearly shows Daredevil's left hand reaching into a holster strapped to his left thigh to grab his billy club. To me, that demonstrates that Daredevil, right from the get-go, was intended to be a left handed superhero. Left hand = left thigh - like the gunslinger, that's the quickest, easiest way to grab his billy club. And for a superhero who spends a disproportionate amount of his time travelling across New York on his billly club, he's got to be quick or he dies.

Therefore - and Kuljit take note of this point - Daredevil was unique for TWO physically-related reasons:

1) he has an impairment (blind)
2) he's left handed.

Any rate, that's my theory.

__________________
blacktyphoid


Errr. I thought it was Random Daredevil Facts, not Random Daredevil Theories People Have Based on Very Little Evidence.



For a change, try to add something constructive to a dialogue, rather than acting like a **** moron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Francesco
Underboss


Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then let's just say:
"DD random fact: Daredevil's billy-club holster is tied to his left thigh".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jumonji
Guardian Devil


Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 636
Location: Too close to the Arctic circle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Then let's just say:
"DD random fact: Daredevil's billy-club holster is tied to his left thigh".

And that (holster on the left thight) actually was very consistent from the start. I always just thought it was an established fact that DD was left-handed, honestly. Looking back, he seems ambidextrous, or just "handedly" confused. The cane switches hands, as does the hand he uses for reading (though it should be both - at the same time), and the same goes for the billy club. On the other hand, left-handed people seem to be better at using both hands than right-handed people, so there you go. Wink
_________________
The Other Murdock Papers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D


Joined: 30 Jul 2004
Posts: 1994
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
Francesco wrote:
Then let's just say:
"DD random fact: Daredevil's billy-club holster is tied to his left thigh".

And that (holster on the left thight) actually was very consistent from the start. I always just thought it was an established fact that DD was left-handed, honestly. Looking back, he seems ambidextrous, or just "handedly" confused. The cane switches hands, as does the hand he uses for reading (though it should be both - at the same time), and the same goes for the billy club. On the other hand, left-handed people seem to be better at using both hands than right-handed people, so there you go. Wink


But he's shown writing with his right hand. And I'm sure I recall pictures where he's reaching across his body with his right hand to get at the billy clubs. In any event, the fact that they decided to put the clubs on his left thigh (which could have been simply a design decision) does not "prove" or even suggest that he's left handed? Gunslingers? Ambidextrious? Comon.

And typhoid, if you don't like me pointing out how stupid the things you say are, stop saying stupid things. You presented the left handed thing as fact and now it just turns out that it was just some half baked theory of yours.
_________________
JC

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Francesco
Underboss


Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I'm serious. That would work well as random fact (DD's holster being on the left), because it's something consistent but at the same time overlooked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jumonji
Guardian Devil


Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 636
Location: Too close to the Arctic circle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
But he's shown writing with his right hand. And I'm sure I recall pictures where he's reaching across his body with his right hand to get at the billy clubs. In any event, the fact that they decided to put the clubs on his left thigh (which could have been simply a design decision) does not "prove" or even suggest that he's left handed? Gunslingers? Ambidextrious? Comon.

He's been shown writing (or at least reading) with his left hand as well. And this certainly isn't blacktyphoid's theory (though kudos to him for his post Wink), but something I've heard mentioned lots of times. It originated from somewhere, and I'd love to find out where it comes from if anyone knows. My "ambidextrous" comment was more of a lighthearted way of explaining the confusion on this point since which hand he uses seems completely arbitrary.
_________________
The Other Murdock Papers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group