Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Elektra: The Hand and The Devil
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so the finished product is out.

So it's a fan film. But what were they fans of? Not Daredevil obviously.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that it's a fan film, I'm really impressed with the production value in some scenes. (Some more than others.)

They obviously put a lot of work into this, so obviously they did this out of a love for Frank Miller's work. The adaptation to the short film is a little simplistic. (Elektra is saved by the power of love.) And I could have done without the Avrilesque song. But I love the impact of the final scene, and the Elektra/Bullseye fight is very well done.

All in all, kudos to these guys for putting this together!
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
All in all, kudos to these guys for putting this together!

agreed.
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty girl. She looks more like Elektra than Jennifer Garner ever did that's for sure.

If you take it for what it is (made by a fan) it was okay. I actually thought they did Elektra's and DD's costumes not too badly either I am surprised.
Dash
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry...I couldn't even finish it.

At times like these, we're prompted to give kudos because of reasons like..."better than I could do"..."atleast they tried"..."could have been worse"

While maybe this is better than I could do, I'm not even going to touch on how this could have been worse. So I'll go with "atleast they tried".

The whole movie (the portion that I watched) seemed like a big experiment in what not to do in film making. I'm not sure of the production time of this movie, but one of my main criticisms is that it lacks polish. And by polish, I don't mean that it has to look professional. It just seemed like that it needed more time in development. (ie...more work on Daredevil's costume, making the lines more believable, better fight sequences,better editing) The camera quality also took away from it, but they did alright with what they had. You can't really penalize them for not buying a $5,000 camera for a fan film.

While I don't claim to be a great actor. The dialogue in this movie made me cringe whenever they spoke. Never did I adapt to it and fall into the experience. I knew this movie wasn't going to be awesome, but I went into it attempting to enjoy it.

The acting, like almost everything else, seems forced and awkward. Each line had the undertone of them yelling "I"M ACTING...I'M DAREDEVIL AND I'M ACTING". I've seen more natural acting at high school plays.

Perhaps I'm not up on my copyright laws or if this movie even qualifies. But everybody saying "the Devil" got extremely annoying. Come on. They could use Elektra's name. So why not Matt Murdock, Daredevil, Bullseye. Something. It wasn't artsy, it wasn't adding to the mystery or the story. It was just annoying.

I could probably go on forever. But at the end of the day, this is a fan film. Which means it was made by fans for fans. And I appreciate they took the time to make it. Its good to see people enjoying the comics that much to take it upon themselves to make a fan film for nothing in return.

While I did not particularly enjoy this movie, I do hope more fan films are made. Hopefully future film makers will use this movie as a learning experience and keep on improving them.

I give this film...
1 1/2 hacky sacks out of 5
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly? I really didn't think it was that bad. Costumes always look terrible in real life unless you're willing to spend a fortune on them, you don't have access to any special effects, and there are no stuntmen. The dialogue could have been better and the same goes for the acting, but on the whole I quite enjoyed it for what it was. It's a fan project and I do feel the love for the characters there.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the fact that they completely changed the story bother anyone?

It's like if someone made a fan film of Hamlet and at the end everyone had a party and then a pillow fight. If I saw that I'd assume the people who made it didn't really like Hamlet that much.

Why aren't you laughing?
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Doesn't the fact that they completely changed the story bother anyone?

No. It's completely permissible to reinterpret a story or to write a new story inspired by an old story. It's poetic license, and as long as they're not doing it while writing the actual book, I'm 100% fine with it.
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya a bit but at the same time I'm not too worried about it because it's just a fan film. My expectations we're not too high. Now if it a big budget movie I expect it to be better and close to the source material. (MSJ are you reading this? Mad )
blinky500
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. My name is Chris .R. Notarile, I am the director of the Elektra fan film. I read all of your comments and I want to thank those who supported the film. I guess I did raise a few questions so I'm here to answer them.

1. Why did I change the story? Well I was pretty spot on with the death of Elektra and partially correct with the resurrection. But with the her fight with Daredevil, that's where I took the creative liscense. I wanted to do something simple and to the point, the point was that love conquers all. And Elektra and Mat are always connected. Also I think it was a little closer to the source material when in comparrison to the Hollywood Elektra and Daredevil films.

2. Why did everyone call DD the devil? Cause it was cool. That's all. I just thought it sounded more cryptic than Daredevil. I figure the only people who call DD by his full name are American villains liked Kingpin or Bullseye. Someone like Elektra or the resurrectionist would instead call him, the devil because they lack that informal relationship, if that makes any sense.

3. The production quality, what gives? I shot this film on HD believe it or not. Youtube has a funny way of taking everything I've shot and compressing it horribly to the point that it looks like it could have been shot on home video. Budget wise, we had nothing. No money whatsoever. We shot in Chinatown, NYC in the blistering cold no less. As far as my shots are concerned, I wanted to keep everything grounded. I wanted the camera to be there for the fights the whole time. We also used all natural lighting since were did not have the ability to lug lights around nor did we have a place to plug them in. FYI- I had no crew either. It was just me and a camera. I'm not trying to make an excuse for anything, just wanted to fill you all in.

4. The costumes. I purposely chose to keep the costumes loyal to the comics. It was a must for me. I didn't like either of Elektra's movie costumes. I enjoyed the DD leather suit, but I wanted spandex this time around. I just don't understand how a blind man all of the sudden knows how to do intricate leather work. I figure in my case, he bought red under armor and sewed a mask some how. Bullseye on the other hand was a practical amalgamation of the comic and movie version. The scene where he followed Elektra to Matt's house in the comics, to me didn't make much sense for him to keep his mask on. So I gave him street cloths with a removable mask so he can blend in more easily.

5. The perfomance. For the short schedule we had with all of the unforseen circumstances that happened that I won't go into, I just tried to make due with what I had. I think Elektra did a great job. Bullseye did leave something to be desired in my opinion, but thankfully he didn't have much to say. As for DD, I think he had his moments. There were times where I think he could have been stronger, but I feel nothing in his performance took away from the film.

So anyhoo, I hope that helps. Sorry my response was so long, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks for watching.

Chris
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the production values, the stunts and even the acting I think they were all great. They were definately in the "way better than I could possibly ever do" catagory which is the standard by which anything fan made should be judged.

Still, I take issue with the story. It's all well and good to want to take some creative license and make the point you want to make but it really is akin to having Hamlet survive at the end. Or making a Batman fanfilm where his parents show up and it turns out they just faked their death in order to punk Bruce.

Bullseye kills Elektra. Check. The Hand resurrect Elektra. Nope. And she comes back as zombie lady (nope) who thinks she still works for the Kingpin (nope) but is saved (nope) by Matt (nope) when he takes off his mask (?).

blinky500 wrote:

But with the her fight with Daredevil, that's where I took the creative liscense. I wanted to do something simple and to the point, the point was that love conquers all.

You see, the problem is that the point you wanted to make is about the exact opposite point that's made in the comics. It's like Superman punches heads off children for fun.

Quote:
And Elektra and Mat are always connected. Also I think it was a little closer to the source material when in comparrison to the Hollywood Elektra and Daredevil films.

Since you made up an entirely new plot line entirely unconnected to the source material I'm not sure how your piece is "closer" to the source material than anything else. If Foggy showed up and beat Elektra to death it would have been just as close to the source material.

Anyway, nerdy story gripes aside I say good job.

Why aren't you laughing?
blinky500
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well is it not true that in the comics the hand tried to resurrect elektra? cause i remember seeing that. i guess if anything, you can equate my return of elektra to where she might fit better into an ultimate's story line. i dont know if she was killed in ultimates or not, but i think this would fit better into it. also, if a newer dd movie were to ever be made, i see this as a possible alternate storyline to how she comes back. also, i think this is how miller might have done it if he ever intended to bring elektra back. i know he wanted her dead for the longest time, and my knowledge of the marvel universe is not as vast as my knowledge of the dcu.

in any case, i think this makes for a better short story line than the extensive and confusing story they gave her in the comics. but thats just me talking.

also as a dd and elektra fan, i would have personally prefered it to be this way. i like the idea of soulmates and how people are and always will be connected through love and experience. so i think this is a little more sweet.

am i making any sense?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have an autographed photograph of Ms Santiago in costume?
blinky500
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely. you can email kim through her myspace at:

www.myspace.com/kns117
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinky500 wrote:
absolutely. you can email kim through her myspace at:

www.myspace.com/kns117

Could you send her a message for me? I'm not registered to myspace.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: