Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Time for some fresh ink?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think the series would benefit from different artists?
Yup.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nope.
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
How should I know?
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Foggy is a hot little potato.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Time for some fresh ink? Reply with quote

With few exceptions, we've been looking at Maleev (or Maleev style art) since December 2001. Is it time to get someone new on the book? The reason I thought I'd ask is because, while re-reading the whole of Volume 2, it occured to me that almost no one in the past 7 years has been able to draw a woman proplerly. Even when the Dodson's were running the show for a while they were only illustrating a courtroom. What do you think?
"Show me a superhero without a first aid kit, an I'll show you a NUT!" (Daredevil #9)
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Foggy.
"Show me a superhero without a first aid kit, an I'll show you a NUT!" (Daredevil #9)
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some fresh ink? Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
The reason I thought I'd ask is because, while re-reading the whole of Volume 2, it occured to me that almost no one in the past 7 years has been able to draw a woman proplerly.

Eh... I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. I think both Maleev and Lark have been drawing good-looking and, more importantly, realistic-looking women. What do you mean by 'properly' in this case?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some fresh ink? Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
With few exceptions, we've been looking at Maleev (or Maleev style art) since December 2001.

Errrr...I'm not sure calling Lark's art "Maleev style art" is all that fair to Lark. I'm pretty sure he's been at this longer (hence, if anything, Maleev has "Lark style art"). Also, when in motion Lark's characters look like they're moving. Biiiig difference.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, obviously Lark isn't like Maleev and the clones. But my point remains the same. Look at how everyone in the last 7 years draws women, and then look at how people like Tim Sale and Darwyn Cooke and the Dodsons draw women. See the difference? Sure, they're more cartoony, but they also have very clean lines and the women are actually attractive to look at. I'm not talking about ridiculous proportions either. I'm talking about definition of all features and cleanliness of art.

Throughout Volume 2 all you hear is Foggy saying "How do you get all the good looking women when you're blind Matt?" But then you look at the art and you'd never know that was supposed to be a good looking woman. ESPECIALLY Milla. The closest anyone has come to getting it right was Lark's Dakota North in the last issue (#111)

Edit: Oops, I mean Clay Mann's Dakota North.

Last edited by Ian on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
The closest anyone has come to getting it right was Lark's Dakota North in the last issue (#111)

Actually, that was Clay Mann, filling in for Lark for one issue.

I'm absolutely fine with Lark's work on Daredevil. In fact, I think it's been gettin better with every issue. And, unlike Maleev, I think Lark is excellent at drawing action.

As for Sale and the Dodsons, I don't find many similarities with their styles. I group in Dodson's work with Frank Cho and Deodato's... Highly eroticized. Is it fun to look at? Yes, but at times it's hard to take seriously too. I'm thinking of Dodson's work on Spider-Man/Black Cat. As for Sale's work, I'm familiar with him through the work he's done with Jeph Loeb, and based on that, I don't see how he would improve on the work that Michael Lark is currently doing.

I find that Lark's characters, whether they are men or women, come off as realistic people. I think he has drawn Milla or Dakota as both attractive and as characters who you could encounter in the real world. Dakota no longer makes her living as a model. She's a hardened investigator now. She's still attractive though. That's not the most important thing about her though.
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Clay Mann. Other than that, BORING.
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I'm absolutely fine with Lark's work on Daredevil. In fact, I think it's been gettin better with every issue. And, unlike Maleev, I think Lark is excellent at drawing action.

As for Sale and the Dodsons, I don't find many similarities with their styles. I group in Dodson's work with Frank Cho and Deodato's... Highly eroticized. Is it fun to look at? Yes, but at times it's hard to take seriously too. I'm thinking of Dodson's work on Spider-Man/Black Cat. As for Sale's work, I'm familiar with him through the work he's done with Jeph Loeb, and based on that, I don't see how he would improve on the work that Michael Lark is currently doing.

I find that Lark's characters, whether they are men or women, come off as realistic people. I think he has drawn Milla or Dakota as both attractive and as characters who you could encounter in the real world. Dakota no longer makes her living as a model. She's a hardened investigator now. She's still attractive though. That's not the most important thing about her though.

Excellent points all around. I couldn't agree more.
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you kids are the worst for staying on topic. Everyone likes Lark (me included). That's not what the thread was about. What I asked is whether it's time for a style change or not. Personally, I'd like to see something new.
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Man, you kids are the worst for staying on topic. Everyone likes Lark (me included). That's not what the thread was about. What I asked is whether it's time for a style change or not. Personally, I'd like to see something new.

How are we not on topic? Everyone has indicated that they like Michael Lark's art = don't see the need for a change in artist. It didn't appear as if you liked his art since the way he draws women apparently brings down the enjoyment of the book for you. No one has changed topics.

To answer a direct question, no I don't want a change of style.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think Foggy is a hot little potato.

And Lark's art is dinamic, realistic and fits the series. No I wouldn't change him, either: it is nice to have the eventual fill-ins by Clay Mann, Aja, or Azaceta, but definitely, I'd love Lark to stay for long (along with Brubaker).

And Gaudiano, too Wink

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Lark's art and style (hey he tries to emulate Mazzuchelli and you have to love that) but I am always open to see new artists on a comic from time to time. It does get a bit boring when the same one draws a comic for years and years with no change. I would love to see Lee Weeks draw the comic again for awhile actually (not just one fill in like he did a little while ago) As for how Lark draws women, they are definetly more realistic looking. I don't think everyone should draw women as voluptuous sex kittens like Dodson, Cho, Adam Hughes, and Greg Land. Not that I'm against that, I am a guy after all Wink but it is nice to see more realistic depictions of woman in comics.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNEW Gloria would be one of the two to answer "Foggy"! What a setup.

I'm happy with the crew on the book right now. I like the style, and the realism. Except for one thing. You know where I'm going. Please give Matt a long enough cane to at least pretend that it's being useful. It's getting there, but not quite. Very small nitpick. And no, get your minds out of the gutter.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GreenDevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The art style is whats been keeping me with this book, I love the whole dirty realism which I think is a defining feature of the book and it also suits the style of writing. Its a good break from the traditional and reduntant styles that you can fine in any other superhero book...
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're all in agreement then. New art it is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: