Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Recommended Reading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Recommended Reading Reply with quote

As new and returning fans visit the site, they've been checking out the Recommended Reading section, which I had prepared with the help of you guys.

It's in need of updating now, so I was wondering if any of you had any more suggestions for a brand new reader or someone who is returning to the title after a lengthy absence?

What would you give to someone to read for DD for the first time? And then, what's next? That kind of thing.

Here is what is on the site now:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/ddRECOMMENDED.shtml
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That list has been around long enough to have my old screen name on it! One thing that hasn't changed, though, is that I still think people should read Issue #223, where DD meets the Beyonder, and we find where his moral compass really is. There have been some other great issues, but that one still sticks with me for a single issue.

For new readers: I like to encourage you to start with either Miller's Man Without Fear trade, or with his Born Again. Man Without Fear gives a better overview of the character with a more modern slant than the original starting issues from Stan Lee. As much as I appreciate Stan Lee's origin, it loses a lot with the inherent 1964 cheesiness.

Born Again is classic Frank Miller, holding up to the test of time fairly well. Every DD fan has to read this one.

Then, to get a person up to speed, I think it's pretty good to start with Bendis on issue #26 and read right on up to the present.

Trying to jump onboard at issue #500 would be pretty deceiving, to me, because the pendulum has swung so far to the dark side by this point. Certainly, the stories by Brubaker and Diggle are quite a great followup to Bendis, but I would rather recommend the trades to a new reader first, to get a better overall feel for Matt Murdock and company.

For a returning reader, of course it depends where you jumped off the DD bandwagon. If you left when Flying Blind was the last arc of the first volume, you have a lot of catching up to do. Grab the hardcover volumes of Volume 2 if you can, or get some trades to catch up.

If you dumped the series because of Kevin Smith, then pick it back up with Bendis' and Maleev's #26.

If you jumped ship when Bendis left, you really should pick up Brubaker's issues, and read up through Diggle's current issue.

Whatever you do, just come on in and read some awesome stories with us. Then feel free to come on in and hash them over.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: