Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

November Solicitaions *SPOILERS*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's a stunt too, but for how long?? One,two months?? More?? A year?? I don't want to think about it!!!!
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Smith will come back to relaunch it again!!! I wonder which character he'll needlessly kill off this time!

Overall, it's disappointing but surely long time DD fans should be used to this by now. DD has a long tradition or having dry spells where the comics aren't worth the paper they're printed on. In my view, that's all that's happening right now (I just picked up The Devil's Hand and I can't tell you how shocked I am at just how badly they dropped the ball on Matt running the Hand. it could have been so cool. as it is it's just predictable, boring and confusing). We're in the middle of a slump. Let's all just sit tight and wait for some relatively unknown writer to come along and start writing good DD stories (I'm predicting somewhere around 2012).

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted on another thread that I have no problem with gimmicks at all. But this one is just utterly stupid on every level. I mean, granted DD has not been doing well. But thanks to Shadowland we have returnees and new readers as well. I assume that is the case with all the sold-out issues of Shadowland. So why end a book that just spiked its sales. I just don't get Marvel.
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I hate to see Daredevil canceled, I think it would be worse if it kept going as it was with sub-par writing. We got almost 100 issues straight of the best DD ever, then Diggle comes and writes one of the worst books he's done. If they do relaunch, they need someone who will do a phenomenal job.

And Brubaker definitely should've stayed on. He had just introduced Master Izo and Lady Bullseye, and then quick as that he gives up the book. Now Lady Bullseye is hardly used at all. And didn't Brubaker say he wanted to stay on the book longer than Bendis? He was twenty issues short. Just think of how different life would be if Brubaker was still on the book. If Shadowland and the Hand DD were written by Brubaker, it'd be sick.

I was mad initially, but I'm over it. I just hope all of this doesn't affect End of Days.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baker wrote:
And Brubaker definitely should've stayed on. He had just introduced Master Izo and Lady Bullseye, and then quick as that he gives up the book. Now Lady Bullseye is hardly used at all. And didn't Brubaker say he wanted to stay on the book longer than Bendis? He was twenty issues short. Just think of how different life would be if Brubaker was still on the book. If Shadowland and the Hand DD were written by Brubaker, it'd be sick.

I'm pretty sure Brubaker hates "events." He quit Catwoman immediately after "War Games", and it felt very sudden. That was probably his first encounter with an "event." During Civil War, that event only touched his Captain America series in a minimal way. (I have never followed X-Men, so I can't comment on Brubaker's work there). I'm willing to bet that he was told what Marvel wanted to do with Shadowland, and that's why he announced he was handing it off.

I would have dropped the book if someone other than Matt Murdock became Daredevil, but I really can't understand ending the series, especially since they just resorted to the original numbering last year. As for Tom Brevoort's comments, the Captain America series continued once Steve Rogers was shot. The Amazing Spider-Man continued with Ben Reilly. Hercules took over the Incredible Hulk after World War Hulk. The last two are very bad examples I realize, but look at what we're talking about here. I'm not dispensing advice on how to do an amazing thing. But Brevoort has no reason to be stunned by how surprised everyone is, especially since Joe Quesada wouldn't be Editor-In-Chief if it wasn't for this character.
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

I'm pretty sure Brubaker hates "events." He quit Catwoman immediately after "War Games", and it felt very sudden. That was probably his first encounter with an "event." During Civil War, that event only touched his Captain America series in a minimal way. (I have never followed X-Men, so I can't comment on Brubaker's work there). I'm willing to bet that he was told what Marvel wanted to do with Shadowland, and that's why he announced he was handing it off.

I would have dropped the book if someone other than Matt Murdock became Daredevil, but I really can't understand ending the series, especially since they just resorted to the original numbering last year. As for Tom Brevoort's comments, the Captain America series continued once Steve Rogers was shot. The Amazing Spider-Man continued with Ben Reilly. Hercules took over the Incredible Hulk after World War Hulk. The last two are very bad examples I realize, but look at what we're talking about here. I'm not dispensing advice on how to do an amazing thing. But Brevoort has no reason to be stunned by how surprised everyone is, especially since Joe Quesada wouldn't be Editor-In-Chief if it wasn't for this character.

I completely agree with you. Since Brubaker left, I thought that something wasn't right with his departure. I'm pretty sure he had many more ideas in mind for the character. But something tell me that when he told Quesada that he wanted to have Matt being the new leader of the Hand, then someone in Marvel (Quesada, Bendis, maybe both) had the "brilliant" idea to replace Matt as Daredevil to do "like batman and captain america". And I have the feeling that it pissed Brubaker who left the title. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Small problem : It won't work with Daredevil because : 1 ) Daredevil has no sidekick to replace him like the too former. So we enter in the same area that the stupid replacment of Hulk by Hercules and the lamest clone saga.
2 ) 75 to 95 % of the DD fans are more interested in seeing Matt Murdock living in the superheroic Marvel universe than seeing a costumed man called Daredevil fighting all the supervillians from the MU.
3 ) Matt is really unique. Replacing Captain America by Bucky or Bruce Wayne by Dick Grayson isn't difficult. The two first are both soldier from the second world war, the two last are both unpowered heroes. But who in the MU is a lawyer with super senses ?
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!! Replace DD?? It's ridiculous!!! It's one thing to stop the ongoing series but to replace him like Batman or Captain is just stupid!!! We want Matt Murdock not just Daredevil!!! When will Marvel realise it??
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Brevoort is really clear. He didn't even try to hide that it's all for shock value. " Obviously, I can't get into the story mechanics behind any of this, but it's all an outgrowth of "Shadowland" and its finale. We absolutely could be looking at a situation where, as with Thor, there is no Daredevil series for a while, but there is somebody else in an equivalent role. That's hardly earth-shattering, and in fact, taking a character like Daredevil off the canvas for a little while may make the heart grow fonder due to absence more so than just having him around doing his thing and being overlooked because he's always been there. It certainly did with Thor. "

Why is this man in charge of Marvel ? He doesn't thing to understand how DD works. Well, he doesn't seems to understand a lot of things. " That was 12 issues ago! It's been a whole year! [Laughter] I cancelled "Avengers" three issues after reverting its numbering to #500. And it's not like if we brought the title back, you couldn't bring it back at #513. It's not as though those issues go away. "
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is this man in charge of Marvel ? He doesn't thing to understand how DD works. Well, he doesn't seems to understand a lot of things.

Too true. I felt personally demeaned and patronized three times while reading his interview. I'm pretty much loathing Marvel right now. I mean WTF? Are they really doing this? DD's the only current Marvel title I buy and I'm already getting screwed.

Quote:
But something tell me that when he told Quesada that he wanted to have Matt being the new leader of the Hand, then someone in Marvel (Quesada, Bendis, maybe both) had the "brilliant" idea to replace Matt as Daredevil to do "like batman and captain america"

Even though (some of) that could possibly be the case, there is no way in hell that Bendis came up with that. He defined Matt Murdock as a character in Daredevil. He has way too much affinity for DD to come up with that idea.

And I guess none of us really know what's actually going to happen, except for the fact that DD vol. 1 (wait, is it still vol. 2?, all this renumbering is messing me up/curse you Marvel!) is coming to an end.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just came in my mind... Maybe they'll do something like DC did when they killed Superman... Many tried to take his place for a while but in the end Superman returned...
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad that the quality was not so good.
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy's Pal wrote:
I would guess this is a stunt, probably due to low sales. IIRC, until Shadowland, it was doing about 10,000 fewer per month once Brubaker left. It's lingering in the mid 30s now. Hopefully we will get a relaunch with a great team.....Rucka maybe.

we can only hope...

let the dust settle and bring back matt..with a great new team..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: