Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Is Kingpin the top crime boss in NYC again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Is Kingpin the top crime boss in NYC again? Reply with quote

Is Kingpin the top crime boss in NYC again? I know Fisk has taken over the Hand, but he has been out power since the Underboss arc in Daredevil, simply taking over the Hand wouldn't reestablish his previous power base right away. It seems like there should be some stories where he is sweeping some of his rivals out of the way, before he can be the top crime boss in NYC again.

I mean it seems like Black Panther is dealing with this "Vlad the Impaler" guy rather then Kingpin. Plus it may be interesting to see Kingpin fight against some of the remnants of the Hood's organization. Also Kingpin should fight Mr. Negative and his organisation considering how Mr. Negative is built up in the Spider-Man title as a major crime boss.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want screen time taken away from Daredevil in the future issues of DD. They already stole much screen time in these latest storyarcs with kingpin himself and with Dakota Mary Sue North and it pissed me off to no end.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh he's pretty much top dog again, as it should be.

The sweeping away of the rivals occurred in Return of the King arc where he got Owlsley to "hire" the Hand to kill off all his rivals.

By 500, he was already back standing in his Fisk Tower. His ascent back to power was a little bit rushed by Brubaker. But I can forgive him that. The various gangs and factions of the criminal underworld all know that when Kingpin is in leadership, they make the most money. So it shouldn't have been that difficult for him to reclaim the throne. I just wish Bru had committed a few more panels to showing Kingpins maneuvering.

But yes, he was back in the Fisk Tower, meaning his financial situation was looking good again. Spider-man and Hobglobin blew up the Fisk Tower recently in Amazing, so Kingpin's permanent address is now in Shadowland. Surrounded by an army of ninjas that he can command, and with Hobglobin in the Bullseye role, Kingpin is going to do some bad, bad stuff in the future.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that at this point, KP is as powerful as he's been since before Last Rites.

His usual rackets are all set up again funneling money into his pockets. He's got an army of ninjas to command. It won't take long to re-establish the blackmail and bribery of elected officials that DD once stole from him.

I would say he sits in the strongest position between him, Mr. Negative, and Vlad the impaler, and any other boss fighting for territory.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Fisk is already back at the top, in the first issue of BP:Mwof, Vlad says that the Kingpin is still underground or something.
I think that at the moment he's watching and waiting.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, plus I think Kingpin doesn't usually focus his sights just on Hell's Kitchen; he usually operates citywide or sometimes in a greater sphere. So it doesn't surprise me if Black Panther hasn't noticed Kingpin activity in his part of town.

Over in Amazing, Kingpin was busy stealing a precious metal that he was planning on selling to global arms dealers. His base is currently in Hells Kitchen but his sphere is greater.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take back almost all of what I wrote earlier about Kingpin being top boss again. You are right, Francesco and Overlord.

I've been catching up on some recent Spidey comics (don't ask me why; the runs haven't been good) and Marvel has really built up Mr. Negative as a big-time factor in the crime scene.

In truth Mr. Negative really is a very cool villain. And because he's a Spidey villain, and because he's the new darling instead of "been there done that" Fisk, I think Mr. N will probably crush Fisk in the crime war that will take place in the near future.

Frankly, I'm worried for Kingpin's life. Marvel in recent years has killed off Sabretooth, Loki, Red Skull and of course Bullseye. So being a classic archnemesis of a Marvel hero doesn't seem to carry much weight. The way Marvel has kind of rushed Fisk back into power over the past few months, it may be to set up Mr. N killing him in a confrontation to firmly establish that the new kid on the block is the new kingpin of crime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: