Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL: GUARDIAN DEVIL Ratings & Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your rating (out of 5)?
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

Solid_Payne
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the AIDS thing was overboard. It was Smith trying to be too topical. I don't want AIDS in my comics. In fact I'd rather not think about AIDS as a central plot point of any comic. It's too heavy of an issue to just say "guess what, she's back...and she has AIIIIIDDDSSS!!!" Kind of reminds me of the "RENT" parody (called AIDS) from Team America. It just shoves the issue in your face.
The same could be said for teen pregnancy angle that was just tasteless and disturbing for a brightly colored action comic (I mean I know it's DD so it's noir, but in this instance it was just jarring). The girl watches her parents get killed then is hunted down, killed and buried in an unmarked grave? That is horrible, and if the book handled it like it was in fact horrible than it would be more forgivable, but instead it's just mentioned in passing as the villain monologues.
Also the baby deaths in the beginning were revealed to be just a coincidence? WTF! More tasteless violence.

I read this when I was fairly new to comics, so it seemed like an interesting read at the time, but the more I reread it and think aout it, the less I like it.
Does anyone else hate that Smith uses the word "cacophony: at least 3 times in the book? That's at least 2 times too much because no one talks like that. To make matters worse, he made a whole Batman mini (which was terrrible) called Batman: Cacophony!
ninjacop
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some past users that yes the story is great and ambitious, it delivers quite an epic opening into DD vol.2 and brings us into an 'new' DD world. However once Vol.2 gets into full swing this story line except for the death of Karen is easily forgettable. I'm not too keen on the artwork and it really doesn't have a place in Vol.2 especially once you see the first issue with Maleev as penciller.

The artwork is too over the top and colourful, the colours too bold at times but it suits the very comic book story, the very kind of story that you only get in a comic. It was almost silver-age artwork with a contemporary down-an-dirty story.

The plot itself is often so obsessed with pushing idea after idea that it loses itself, and the reader may lose interest too if not for the enigma of the whole plot.

The pay-off is good in terms of adding to the DD mythology, but only in retrospect does the story really have any gravity (matt's mum, death of mysterio, death of karen) these things are important, but all together in one arc they don't have the impact.

Overall the book is decent, I give it a 3/5 in retrospect due to the amazing run later in Vol.2, as it is over-shadowed almost straight away by Mack's Echo arc.
Disco_Stu
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian-Devil wrote:
I LOVE IT!!! It's my favorite DD story!! I know some of DD fans don't like it but when i bought it years ago it had me hooked for a day!! I simply couldn't stop reading it!! I know it has few weaknesses but for me it's one of DD's best stories!!

I give it 4.5/5 ( If i can.... Wink )

I'm with you on this one. This is the book that got me into DareDevil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> User Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: