Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Fox's 'Daredevil' Relaunch Hires 'Fringe' Writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiltman62
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Fox's 'Daredevil' Relaunch Hires 'Fringe' Writer Reply with quote

From the June 7 Hollywood Reporter:

"With X-Men: First Class having successfully relaunched its X-Men frachise, Fox is turning its attention to the reboot of Daredevil, the blind but sonar-powered Marvel superhero last played on screen by Ben Affleck in 2003.

Brad Caleb Kane, a writer-producer on cult Fox TV show Fringe, has been hired to pen the franchise’s relaunch, which has high ambitions: Kane is being asked to adapt one of the most influential and acclaimed comic stories of all time, Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli’s "Born Again" run from Daredevil.

Fox is tackling the project with Regency.

David Slade is developing and attached to direct the new Daredevil movie. Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark of Chernin Entertainment are producing.

While Kane only has one produced feature to his credit -- he worked on the crime drama Brooklyn’s Finest -- the scribe has gained a following around town for that strong script. He worked on DreamWorks’ View-Master movie, a Richard Pryor biopic that has Bill Condon attached to direct, and a draft of The Historian, Columbia’s planned adaptation of the Elizabeth Kostova vampire novel.

Kane is a Daredevil fan, and his energy and passion for the material helped him nab the job, according to insiders.

Kane is repped by WME and attorney Tara Kole."

As a fan of Fringe - this could be a good choice...plus it helps he is a Daredevil fan (maybe it is better if we just ignore the comment that he was working on a "View-Master" movie).
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah you beat me to it Razz well it's fantastic news (kinda was hoping for a reboot origin story myself but this works too). i personally think this is too early for Kingpin and Murdock. you also need to build up the Karen page Nelson Murdock relationship before doing something like this because he needs to feel betrayed by them. more sequel material but i guess we'll just wait and see.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't start a Daredevil reboot with Born Again. You just don't. I love the show Fringe, but clearly these people have no idea what they're doing.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that would bring rgj out of the woodwork. Heh.

RT @DAVID_A_SLADE: So here it is as promised - the DAREDEVIL news - http://tinyurl.com/5vvlldk

Yes Brad and I are meeting daily to work on the script, and yes "Born Again" is our main source material with all its grittiness.

From twitter on 8 June 2011.

Good to see you, rgj!

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW

there is a plus and a negative aspect to this.

As mentioned, starting off a reboot with Born Again just seems difficult. Especially the Karen and Matt relationship. It needs time to bloom and wither.

However, this is one of the best comics ever written. If handled right, the end result could well surpass that of The Dark Knight.

All I ask is that Nuke remains in the story. If they get rid of him, i'll be pissed.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? To me, Nuke is probably the weakest part of the whole story, and the one character that will need a serious update to make him relevant in the 21st century.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the original BA they use, and how much they reinvent with this incarnation.

Bring it on, folks.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!! ''Born Again'' is a good story for a movie!! Obviously they're gonna make some "big" changes, like the cameo from the Avengers. I believe the script is based on this story not exactly the story as it is!! Either way I'm very excited!!!

ps: Chris Pine for DD!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm not sure how they can do a daredevil reboot starting with " Born Again" That would be a great one to use for a sequel. Seems you have to have the characters well established for that story to work. Hopefully I'm wrong about that and they have a way to do it that will work. Born Again is one of my favorite Daredevil stories and I just hope they don't mess it up.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
Really? To me, Nuke is probably the weakest part of the whole story, and the one character that will need a serious update to make him relevant in the 21st century.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the original BA they use, and how much they reinvent with this incarnation.

Bring it on, folks.

I get what youre saying, he will most certainly require a new backstory and look. But to me, he is very essential, especially in terms of a movie. What the masses will expect is some sort of physical action between hero and villain. But BA is much more about character (internal conflict, relationships, etc..) rather than fighting. The only real action we see is Matt vs Nuke. I dont wanna see him fight Kingpin on screen again. But like you said, Nuke is very much stuck in his time, and I cant see them exploring the super soldier programme in the film
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not just difficult, it’s downright stupid. This isn't going to work well because there is no character buildup. Moving forward with Born Again shows desperation, little to no understanding of the character and a total lack of creativity and vision. Now, if they had a director of Chris Nolan’s caliber attached to the project, I would be a little more optimistic. But any director of Chris Nolan’s caliber would know it is not wise use a story like Born Again for your first film so the point is moot. You can’t throw a story like Born Again at normies and expect them to enjoy/get it with little buildup and good storytelling.

Without buildup, how is the audience going to see the significance of Born Again? WE all know the significance of the story, but consider the fact that most of the general public doesn’t even know that Daredevil exists! It’s quite a hill to climb. Also consider that part of what made Born Again so good is that it happened at just the right time for Matt. They’re cheapening the experience by glossing over the many trials and tribulations Matt faced before Born Again. And just how are they going to establish Matt’s relationship with Karen? Flashbacks? That’s just cheap considering it’s a focal point of the story.

It’s like starting with the Dark Knight instead of Batman Begins. If you skip everything that happened in Begins or try to cram parts of it into Dark Knight, what you have is a messy and confusing narrative and relationships that don’t have near the impact they should because everything was rushed. So they’re either going to gloss over everything or change everything. They’re probably going to have to change a lot anyway since there is no way they’ll go for an R rating, especially after Watchmen. Looks like this will play out just like the Elektra saga played out in the first DD movie. Rushed and with no heart.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, finding a way to tell this particular story without build up is going to be very difficult. However, I dont think its impossible. I guess thats Slade and Kane's job.

Also, I have faith in Slade as a director. Though Nolan might be very respected now, before Batman his best work was Memento. I guess most people will remember Slade for 30 Days of Night or Eclipse. One was recieved very well by the public, and the other has a ridiculous fan following.
This is Slade's chance to cement his significance, the same way Nolan has done.
Personally, I thought the way he handles 30 Days was pretty damn good. One of my fav films of that year.
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Batman, Nolan had Memento and Insomnia. Both were very well received critically and both did well at the box office so going in to Batman Begins, he had a pretty solid reputation and was regarded as innovative. Nolan didn't need Batman to prove he was a good director. He was already on the rise and Batman just sped that rise up.

Slade on the other hand is unproven and doesn't have a strong reputation one way or the other. He's directed a few music videos and has released two films that did ok critically and at the box office. I'm not counting the Twilight film because that film would have done well if Uwe Boll had directed it. He's an unknown variable and because of that I can't say I trust him to make a good film about my favorite character. He very well may, and I hope he does! He seems very enthusiastic about the character but Mark Steven Johnson was too. We'll just have to wait and see.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. BA ideally should be the third film. At worst the second film. Even if they don't do an origin story for DD and just have him start the film as a crimefight, Matt's relationship with Karen and the buildup to her moving to Cali needs an entire film to be fleshed out.

Sigh. They probably won't even have Karen in the movie. Kingpin is going to discover Matt's identity through some other means. So it's not really Born Again since, to me, the Matt-Karen dynamic is crucial to the story.
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream where I saw a leaked casting video for this movie and Mr. Fear was in it along with Ox and the enforcers.

I think that would actually be a cool villain cast for the first movie and bring the Kingpin in at the end like the Joker was mentioned in Batman Begins.
obiwan570
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DD movie makers if you are out there the new DD movie will be a guaranteed hit if;
You make it a cross between frank millers' Man without fear novel and ultimate daredevil and elektra storyline a la Matt Damon's Bourne identity

You be smiling to the bank trust me " I know things".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: