Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL: NEW AVENGER!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of having DD in the Avengers is crap. The reality will probably be much, much worse. Just another example of this once great company having no idea what to do with its long standing characters, or what actually made them work in the first place. (Yawns)
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem to think that DD is too low powered for the avengers, this is really not a valid opinion, is he lower powered than Hawkeye? Black Widow? Mockingbird? Seriously? He maybe more powerful than Captain America too. So the power thing is not an issue really, the guy is maybe the top ninja in the Marvel U, he can do the stealth thing better than anyone, can break in and out of anywhere, he can stop the team ever being ambushed or surprised again, (altho Bendis does often forget about his powers!).
The team does seem a bit overloaded mind you, maybe they may be moving their roster a little with DD coming in?
Cassecou
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that DD was part of the team in "Secret War"... Hum... In fact, we should forget that ! It was such a disapointment.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Look At Daredevil's Explosive Arrival In The New Avengers!

Pic 1:
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/1313592891.jpg

Pic:2
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/1313592901.jpg
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian-Devil wrote:

Pic:2
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/1313592901.jpg

I'm not sure how effective Daredevil would be with a machine gun. It sure would bombard his hearing and smell, in addition to the vibrating and heated gun. I know it's just one panel in a comic book, but this really stretches my suspension of disbelief. But it's Bendis, so that's what I get. Razz
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second pic is one of the worst, if not the worst, depiction of this character i have ever seen
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
That second pic is one of the worst, if not the worst, depiction of this character i have ever seen

So true. It's something I would expect to see in the 70's when most writers ignored that he was blind the majority of the time. Not very encouraging.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda skeptical about Matt Murdock becoming an Avenger myself, however, here and other places I see people panicking because of these teaser images. Now if you don't like the art style, thats one thing, but I'd wait to see the context of scene otherwise. Remember "Born Again", arguably the best Daredevil story of all time, had Matt shooting down a helicopter, pilot and all, with a grenade launcher.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
I'm kinda skeptical about Matt Murdock becoming an Avenger myself, however, here and other places I see people panicking because of these teaser images. Now if you don't like the art style, thats one thing, but I'd wait to see the context of scene otherwise. Remember "Born Again", arguably the best Daredevil story of all time, had Matt shooting down a helicopter, pilot and all, with a grenade launcher.

I think Daredevil can aim a weapon and fire, making him good for one blast, but a machine gun makes sustained racket, and I'm pretty sure he would be useless with one. The panel shows him firing off shell after shell, and it's silly.
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
RGdesigner wrote:

I think Daredevil can aim a weapon and fire, making him good for one blast, but a machine gun makes sustained racket, and I'm pretty sure he would be useless with one. The panel shows him firing off shell after shell, and it's silly.

Exactly. You can't compare the New Avengers art to what happened in Born Again, though I'm sure the similarities aren't unintentional. The first thing I noticed when I saw the art was the similarity to the rocket shot in Born Again..... except the New Avengers art comes off as completely idiotic and forced.

I recall DD shot one of Punisher's guns once during Miller's run. But that was one shot from a handgun, not a high caliber automatic weapon. Unless it's some weird dream sequence, there's no circumstance where firing such a gun makes sense.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If repetitive gunfire would weaken DD that much he would have been taken out or had to retire long ago. How many times have we seen him surrounded by gunfire at relatively close range? A minigun sounds like a loud air compressor when fired, the shock of that helicopter exploding right in front of him in "Born Again" would've caused him more damage.

No instance where using a gun makes sense?
It looks to me as if its a direct parallel to what was going on in "Born Again". People are being gunned down all around him by a large machine that he can't take out hand to hand. Every second he waits people are dying, so he picks up a weapon thats handy and opens fire. The robot is right in front of him. He's not sharp shooting from 2000 yards away.

Again, I'm not really digging the idea of him being in the Avengers, but I'm willing to wait and see what Bendis does. The complaints and hyperbole being leveled against these two teaser pages is the only thing thats ridiculous.
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say Daredevil firing a gun never makes sense. In fact, that scene in Born Again highlights one of the reasons I like DD. What I'm saying is it doesn't sense that firing a high caliber automatic gun like that would not affect him in a negative way. If they don't show that it took a lot out of him to fire such a large gun, they're choosing to ignore something fundamental to the character.

He doesn't just avoid guns because he prefers not to kill. They also negatively affect him. DD firing a gun won't just mess with his hearing. It would also mess with his sense of smell and touch and it would greatly confuse his radar. Having a sense of touch so sensitive that one can read raised ink on paper would make firing an automatic weapon a pretty painful experience. Being the one firing the gun is way more intense to his senses than being shot at.

Honestly, all this does is highlight what a poor fit he is for this story and for The Avengers. They fight enemies like this frequently. The fact that he would have to use a weapon that he tries to avoid because it hurts him just to hold his own in this fight says a lot. It's a poor fit that requires one to ignore character traits to make it work and that's a problem.

If you're ok with it, fine. But I think it's an indicator of what a poor fit this is. And I want this to work! I'd like to see DD be an Avenger for a bit! But if this is how they're going to do it, I'd prefer he stay solo.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god, they turned him into Rambo. Shocked

Is this the best Bendis can do?? This from the same guy who some would rank alongside Miller in terms of writing DD? Don't see it here. I'd love to see the reasoning for why Matt would even consider this action (mecha robots running rampant notwithstanding)

DD is a major Marvel hero, but his focus is more on the street, real life crime and sin, not cosmic villains intent on conquering/destroying the world. He's participated in major Marvel events before but in his own unique solo way. (My favorite, Inferno, where he deals with that demon-possessed lunatic dentist from hell. Creepy yet funny at the same time.)

That's part of the charm for him and Spidey, the loners who patrol the side alleys overlooked by those flying overhead in their Fantasticar and Quinjets. I don't see the creative sense in having him join up.
obiwan570
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD can be an avenger but not in the traditional sense. He has to be used as a freelance or/and a scout. Someone who goes in solo or with just a partner either before the offensive or after, not smack in the middle of a big fiGht .
This way he can work. He can't seat around the mansion having tea.
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are saying the look on his face while firing does not show pain? I think he is struggling with firing this weapon but think he would see it as worth the pain, he is doing what needs done.

Also DD not making sense as an Avenger? As I have said he makes as much if not more sense than Black Widow or Mockingbird. Come on, every team needs a superpowered ninja! So long as he is used correctly then he will make sense, this all out war is bad timing for him to be used correctly but hey bad timing is almost a superpower for DD! Lets wait to see what happens when things calm down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: