Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


DAREDEVIL: NEW AVENGER!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Francesco
Underboss


Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time Bendis showed them how to write a Daredevil story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom


Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Posts: 331
Location: The Bright, Sunny South

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
About time Bendis showed them how to write a Daredevil story.


Really? And how exactly is that? Enlighten me as to why Bendis is one of the greatest DD writers ever, even considering this mess.

For I don't get it, nor will I ever probably. I've tried reading some of Bendis' DD work and I just can't. He takes pages and pages to do something that Lee, Thomas, Conway, could do in three panels. Sometimes his dialogue is okay, other times it sounds contrived, forced, too many 'wink-wink, nod-nod' moments.

Like the framing conversation in this Avengers issue. The sly, coy remarks. This is a team? No wonder I don't read Avengers anymore.

DD being an Avenger is right up there with wanting Spidey to be an Avenger, but not under these conditions. Taking down Nazi robots with ease? Who needs a demon to possess him then? Rolling Eyes

No thanks, I'll stick with Waid in the main title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AP
Flying Blind


Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
Francesco wrote:
About time Bendis showed them how to write a Daredevil story.


Really? And how exactly is that? Enlighten me as to why Bendis is one of the greatest DD writers ever, even considering this mess.

For I don't get it, nor will I ever probably. I've tried reading some of Bendis' DD work and I just can't. He takes pages and pages to do something that Lee, Thomas, Conway, could do in three panels. Sometimes his dialogue is okay, other times it sounds contrived, forced, too many 'wink-wink, nod-nod' moments.

Like the framing conversation in this Avengers issue. The sly, coy remarks. This is a team? No wonder I don't read Avengers anymore.

DD being an Avenger is right up there with wanting Spidey to be an Avenger, but not under these conditions. Taking down Nazi robots with ease? Who needs a demon to possess him then? Rolling Eyes

No thanks, I'll stick with Waid in the main title.


I couldn't agree more Darkdevil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RGdesigner
Playing to the Camera


Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 116
Location: Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way I believe to make Daredevil an Avenger and make it work and work well. This issue was not it and only validated the views of everyone who thinks Daredevil shouldn't be an Avenger.

I love Bendis' Daredevil run, which is the only reason I gave this a shot. I'll be the first to admit his run on DD is full of inconsistencies, absurdly slow issues, and bad continuity with past stories, but his work on the character was second only to Frank Miller (who had a few wtf moments himself). I honestly can't believe this is the same guy who wrote "Underboss", "Out", "King of Hells Kitchen", and "Decalogue".

New Avengers 16 was ridiculous. I was giving Bendis the benefit of the doubt. I was thinking the whole gunning down a robot or two was all it would be in a mediocre homage to "Born Again". Nope, Matt Murdock took on an army of giant, heavily armed, Nazi robots like it was nothing and walked away without a scratch. Maybe in the next issue he can overpower Hulk in a hand-to-hand fight and then fly to the moon. And the practically fourth-wall breaking dialogue about "who is worthy to be an Avenger?" was borderline juvenile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Francesco
Underboss


Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
Francesco wrote:
About time Bendis showed them how to write a Daredevil story.


Really? And how exactly is that? Enlighten me as to why Bendis is one of the greatest DD writers ever, even considering this mess.


Because he writes DD as a competent hero, gives him is due instead of having him whine continuously on how miserable he is and has him fight real fights instead of continuously throwing him at bunches of thugs to gather info.
If you prefer have the DD book spotlight how cool Dakota North is or Daredevil getting headaches because the smell of dog poop on the curb overloads his senses, then Bendis' DD is just not for you.
Plus, don't forget that Bendis was writing a New Avengers book, fisrt and foremost. In it we see low powered heroes such as Cap or Hawkeye do amazing feats, I don't see why in a similar context Daredevil could not do the same.

Do I also need to point out that Bendis didn't have him punch down the Nazimechs as if he was Hulk, but rather: hitting them in the weakspots (the cockpit), take advantage of his greater mobility, trick them into hitting each other and use a large gatling gun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom


Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Posts: 331
Location: The Bright, Sunny South

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
I love Bendis' Daredevil run, which is the only reason I gave this a shot. I'll be the first to admit his run on DD is full of inconsistencies, absurdly slow issues, and bad continuity with past stories, but his work on the character was second only to Frank Miller (who had a few wtf moments himself). I honestly can't believe this is the same guy who wrote "Underboss", "Out", "King of Hells Kitchen", and "Decalogue".


My worst fear. Bendis can write good dialogue, but sometimes it pushes over into fanboy-speak. His sense of pacing is atrocious. Characterization is wonderful, but with a static medium such as comics, a balance of action is warranted. I want to read an issue and know the plot has moved along by the issue's end. Plus, while I don't consider myself a slave to continuity, if he doesn't even give a passing glance to previous stories, why should I care about his?

As for the Avengers, if Matt picks up a gun, he's already lost for he doesn't need them.

Born Again was a unique occasion given the damage and danger already incurred by Nuke, a credible threat. But picking up a gatling gun against rogue Nazi robots?? I don't see it other than more fanboy-wishing by Bendis.

And can someone explain why his membership card has Braille on it, especially if they know it's Matt and about his abilities??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Francesco
Underboss


Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Born Again was a unique occasion given the damage and danger already incurred by Nuke, a credible threat. But picking up a gatling gun against rogue Nazi robots?? I don't see it other than more fanboy-wishing by Bendis.


Hellooo... those were Nazi mechs shooting on civilians. Shooting. on. unarmed. civilians. Enormous damage and danger, no diferrent, or perhaps even worse than the nuke situation.
The only reason why DD picked up a gatling gun in such an occasion is because probably there wasn't anything bigger available around.

Quote:

And can someone explain why his membership card has Braille on it, especially if they know it's Matt and about his abilities??

As a way of customizing it just for him, I imagine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gee
Playing to the Camera


Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 119
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap, Hawkeye and Mockingbird are Avengers, this is why DD can be one, he is at least their equal and arguably more powerful. He picked up a gun because he was at war, thats what was required.

How much clearer can these points be made?

Bendis struggles with DD as he does not understand or know how to write his powers, he gets his character just not his powers.
_________________
when walking just walk, when sitting just sit, above all don't wobble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom


Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Posts: 331
Location: The Bright, Sunny South

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was fast. All the hoopla surrounding DD joining up and the very next issue, he's nowhere to be seen despite being featured on the cover.


Francesco wrote:

The only reason why DD picked up a gatling gun in such an occasion is because probably there wasn't anything bigger available around.


That's a comment I'd expect from a discussion concerning Frank, not Matt. That alone symbolizes the problems I have with Bendis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Francesco
Underboss


Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had to take down several armored mechs. Just like when he had to take down Nuke's helicopter, or Ultron, or Namor, he used what was available in the surroundings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group