Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #1 Preview, Ratings and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you rate DAREDEVIL #1?
72%
 72%  [ 16 ]
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to scan that blank cover into my database, but here's a quick look at it on the Marvel site:

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/39629/daredevil_2013_1_blank_cover_variant
omotenium
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fight with Spot was intense! I love Matt with the hot dog vendor. "Whoops."
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuljit Mithra wrote:
The attention to Matt's radar sense was cool to see as well.

I think Waid's use of the radar is the best I've ever seen. I loved the inventive ways he played with what Matt could do with his heightened senses, too.

The Mast wrote:
I also got a massive poster of the regular cover.

Oh, I didn't realise those were available. Are they sold online anywhere? It's a fantastic cover.

pynchon82 wrote:
What is the blank variant?

Exactly what it sounds like. Smile

It's just a completely blank, white cover image (but still with the DD logo etc.)
Cassecou
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I am the only one for now who did not like it.
Come on, how long did they have to get this issue ?
Look at DD face ! I don't say it's ugly or wathever. But I really don't like this kind of art.

What about the story ? Well, no trace of the ShadowLand consequences. No one rushing on him about the prisoneers he made.
As for his return, no grace, no wit. He just jump into troubles like a newby. Come on, Avengers let's go kick the Spot's butt !!
LAME !

I've waited long to enjoy DD again. But nothing good since Maleev and Bendis run.
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like the way its meant to be eh? Under current of gritty, covered by a layer of swashbuckling superhero awesomeness!

'The Mast' - I thought he kissed the mob bride to give the Spot a chance to try to blindside him (which of course can't be done!)? Baiting him in to get a grip on him? Did no one else see it that way?

Cassecou - did you read DD before Bendis? Did you maybe not realise he was a superhero?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It felt so good to read an issue of Daredevil that had a brighter tone, and where Matt actually got to smile from time to time. I wasn't for restarting Daredevil at #1, but it really does feel like a much needed new beginning. Big props to Waid, Rivera and Martin for pumping new life into my favourite character.
Man_Without_Fear_
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil #1 is an excellent issue. I like where Mark is taking both Matt, and Daredevil. And the art is beautiful. And yes, Matt kissing the mob boss's wife is one of the best moments of this issue. Mark's writing is excellent. He's one of the best in the industry right now. Can't wait for Daredevil #2.
Cassecou
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Man_without_fear : "Matt kissing the mob boss's wife is one of the best moments of this issue." Same for me.

- Dimetre : like you, I enjoy the brighter tone.

- Gee : I'm 38yo. Reading DD since I was 8. I live in France where it was hard to get imported comics thus I own around 700 issues.
My fav DD period is mazzuccheli's.
Fav heroes/series : Daredevil, Batman, Grendel, Death, Preacher, Sandman, Shade the changing man, Hellblazer, Sin city, Team 7 & old x-men stories.
Gee, if you have series to recommand, I'm always curious.
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i won't go on and on about what i liked but to keep it simple and short i thought this was refreshing. For years i was in love with the alternative colours and shades used in Maleevs art (still is my favourite DD artist) and truth be told i was uncomfortable with the drastic change but it works for this and i must admit when I'm at fault i was wrong. The brilliant writing in here is that it's all once again, one big tragedy setup by Waid and Wacker and i can't wait to see how Matt's going to fall and recover. As much as i miss the idea of Matt becoming a villain after Shadowland i think it will be "interesting" to see this cheerfully glib and ignoring Matt go back to suffering another nervous breakdown. Is that wrong? Naw, like any good Shakespearean story, i enjoy tragedy for what it is from time to time and what it means to society but what i enjoy even more is the stories of a man who may fall but never gives up. The inspiring stuff that Matt Murdock provides. Anyways i'm getting corny, without fear i knew this would be a great run as i smiled through reading my favourite hero in this latest read. A+ work to the DD Team and i look forward to what they have to offer in the future.
Cassecou
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Shakespirian side of DD.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmckenna wrote:

Hey Darediva, did you catch the shout out?

Impressed,
Tom

Yes, actually had it spoiled on Twitter! I can't believe that I got a shoutout and a letter to the editor in a #1.

That was just the epitome of cool for me.

Oh, yeah...the art, the writing, the color...all superb. I'm a very happy camper.

Just try to wipe this smile off my face. Very Happy

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Man_Without_Fear_
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva, that's so cool that you're letter was published in the letters page. Your letter was both inspiring and touching. Just like Daredevil himself. Great stuff.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was cool that the name "Darediva" got mentioned in the comic itself.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a copy of DD#1 today, and want to know the most fun part? I got to ask 3 young men (guessing they were around 10-11) if they knew DD was relaunching. They did. I asked if they wanted to see something really cool about it, and showed them the letter in the back, and my name there, then pointed to my t-shirt with our Team Darediva Foundation Fighting Blindness logo on it.

All three: WOAH!

Me: Big grin.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may just be showing my age and my preferences, and mean no disrespect to all those who liked this issue. As a reminder, this is feels like another version of the Karl Kesel/Cary Nord run (http://daredevil.omegacen.com/DaredevilKesel.html), another attempt to clean up the darkness, though I frankly liked Nord's art better. This bright cartoon style just isn't DD for me.. not even close. It's not just the simplicity...Mazuchelli and Romita,Jr. were both on the simple side, but always retained the pulp darkness. Similarly, Nocenti and (to my mind, unfairly maligned) Chichester had sci fi and fantasy super hero elements that I would be happy to see more of, but not like this. Bendis was brilliant, and Brubaker was a solid follow-up before the travesty of Shadowland (proof that darkness can also be marketed to younger readers). I'll keep taking a look to maybe see him win a few fights for a change, but I'm just not the market for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: