Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #1 Preview, Ratings and Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you rate DAREDEVIL #1?
72%
 72%  [ 16 ]
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not comparing Brubaker's style with Diggle's. Brubaker is clearly the better writer, but both, in my opinion, were wrong for this book, and, one thing they had in common, both were as dull as hell.

After collecting the book for years, Bru's was the run were I finally threw in the towel and stoped buying. No originality. No vitality. Just dull, depressing storylines. Even Tree of Knowledge wasn't enough to stop me buying way back when, so Bru is certainly special in my eyes.

The 'word on the street' doesn't interest me in the slightest. Good solid storytelling with some semblance of originality and something to say does.

There was more vitality, life, energy and ideas in Waids first issue than the whole of the Bru/Diggle runs combined.

Not buying many books these days, I can honestly say its the first book of Waids I have ever read. Impressive doesn't cover it.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the best things I've read by Waid. I've not been a huge fan of other stuff he's done, like his Fantastic Four run or Irredeemable. I quite liked some of his recent Amazing Spider-Man stories, though.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
It's one of the best things I've read by Waid. I've not been a huge fan of other stuff he's done, like his Fantastic Four run or Irredeemable. I quite liked some of his recent Amazing Spider-Man stories, though.

I've enjoyed various work by Waid. I have yet to read Irredeemable but I loved his run with Mike Wieringo on FF. For my money, Waid's run on the Flash is far more impressive and illustrates a better understanding of the character than anything Geoff Johns has done on the title/character.

Cover to cover, this was a terrific first issue, full of wit and fun. Yes, it might be a striking tonal change, but one I think Waid is smart in doing. Shadowland and it's consequences are still there, it's only Matt's reaction/outlook that has changed over it. By going this different route, Waid has injected a fresh, more optimistic feel to the book (which was sorely needed) and set-up possible drama later on if Matt's 'new' outlook is his latest form of denial.

At issue's end, I felt good after reading a DD story and really, isn't that the point? Wink
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the v3 #1!

To say I am so "gay" over Paolo Rivera because of his artwork is an understatement.

Love the bright colors too!!! Now I really am sure DD is wearing a red costume!

I expected very little from Mark Waid, having read nothing from him but Impulse. But damn did he deliver! If you will re-read his interviews...one thing that Matt Murdock and I guess a lot of readers does not realize is that the happy-giddy tone of the book is just an overlay. He will still have to deal with what happened during Shadowland. And a visit from Cap next issue might end with him being asked to be on New Avengers but with the shield about to hit his head. Cap's original intention is to arrest him I guess. So there, it's a good jumping point to new readers not delving too much on the past but it's enough for us oldies to sate our continuity hunger.

I can't wait for the next issue.

PS

I got all 5 covers. I almost had to sell my kidney to afford 'em though.
tmckenna
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuljit Mithra wrote:
So how many covers did you pick up? I managed to get 4 of the 5, and I've got my shop looking around to try and get that elusive cover for me.

I finally got all 5 of the covers. My local comic shop didn't get the Neal Adams variant or the John Romita Sr. variant when issue 1 came out. After some wrangling with Diamond, they were able to get the variants.

I have to say that my favorite was the regular Paolo Rivera cover, followed closely by the Neal Adams cover.

There's also going to be a 2nd printing, I remember reading somewhere.

Did anybody get the Dynamic Forces signed #1? (Waid & Rivera) Did anybody get one of the Ken Haeser sketched covers of #1? If you did, would you like to show them off to the rest of us?

Thanks,
Tom
Battling Jack Murdock
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I am new to the boards. I was glad to find this place and see that there are still many DD fans out there. I've been an avid reader / collector of DD comics for over 40 years.

I must say that I enjoyed issue # 1 and am looking forward to # 2.

I hope that Marvel doesn't screw this one up as they've done with so many of their other re-launches.

Looking forward to conversing with fellow DD fans.
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s felt like a lifetime since I’ve posted anything here but I’ve been drawn back due to Darediva’s shout out in Issue #1.
Well done mate! You’re a LEGEND!

I’ve finally gotten around to catching up on about 3 years worth of DD (!)
And congrats Kuljit on making it into Issue #3!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: