Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Indie Wire's choice of directors to replace Slade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Indie Wire's choice of directors to replace Slade Reply with quote

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/5-directors-who-could-replace-david-slade-on-the-daredevil-reboot-20120712

I like the idea of Joe Carnahan.
theunrealstudios
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the idea of Joe Carnahan.

oh man, the tortured guy in "The Grey" played by Liam Neeson was fantastic. I could definately see a very well done direction by Carnahan with Matt's Catholic guilt as a reoccuring element.

the rest are "so-so's" with me. directors aren't really my thing compared to actors so it becomes difficult at determining who's style best fits with the story.

i don't know who could do it but it'd have to be someone who understands or has the ability to learn aspects such as:

- the inner workings of law as a profession (MSJ ill treated the lawyer angle. Brad Furman did a decent job portraying how cut throat the job is in "The Lincoln Lawyer")

- the underdog feeling of being a fighter. Think "Ron Howards Cinderella Man" with an irish boxer played by Russell Crowe (who for the longest time i thought if younger would have made a great Jack Murdock)

- the viglilante angle; practical effects also considering i was really pissed off when i saw DD leap across a city street to a building from a church. (Nolan's practical effects were really believable with as little CGI as possible)

- the first steps to figuring out identity as a youth (Marc Web)

- the influence of another cultures teachings (the japanese angle taught to the american in "The Last Samurai" directed by Edward Zwick was beautiful and bushido is definately something noteworthy in Daredevil)

-and last but not least understanding the sympathetic human angle to the mob and organized crime (it goes without saying Francis Ford Coppola's Godfather and Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas)

Actually on another note watch the film "On the Waterfront" directed by Elia Kazan centered in 1950's New Jersey. Marlon Brandos character hits everything i want to see in both Jack and Matt Murdock. The pain, the loss, the religious and social guilt, loving a good woman, the sense of duty and moral obligation and ultimately portrayed in the end a man willing to stand up to organized crime in his neighborhood and inspire his fellow neighbors to do the same.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt see The Grey but I heard it was good. If Carnahan can do what he did with Narc to the DD reboot, it would be pretty spectacular.

I love Edward Zwick, and yeah he would be great at bringing in that Japanese cultural aspect, as well as exploring social issues. However, I cant see Fox going down that route since Wolverine is going to be heavily immersed in Japanese culture.

On the Waterfront is great, that final scene is incredible.

One thing that Im still confused about is why Brad Caleb Kane was taken off sript duties. He tweeted something about watching Sidney Lumet films for inspiration, which themselves remind me of films like On the Waterfront.

As for directors, I've said before that Duncan Jones would be pretty good, and right now I'm thinking somebody like Cary Fukunaga.
SK47DD
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These choices are interesting. Out of all 5 the best pick here is Joe Carnahan.
Daredevil is the right character where he can return to his urban roots which he flourished with Narc and move into spectacle say a large action set piece at the end. Carnahan has done both and has a very cool visual style.

But, this is just a wish list. If I were Fox, I would hire Stephen Norrington. The director of Blade and use that. Who doesn't love Blade here?
I mentioned this in another topic that Blade is the precursor to this "dark" motif in comic book films. Looking back, the story structure of Blade and setting almost mirrors what a proper DD film should be. Plus, Norrington needs a job.
He was attached to The Crow remake before that fell through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: