Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Should Frank Miller ever write Daredevil again?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Should Frank Miller ever write Daredevil again? Reply with quote

Most people around here seem to think Frank Miller is the best Daredevil writer, so do you think Frank Miller should write Daredevil again?

I would say no, like Stan Lee, Miller works best in a certain era and when you take him out of that era, his work is not as good. Most of his recent work is sub par at best and absolutely insane at worst.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you for the most part.I personally wouldn't wanna see him tarnish his great legacy by writing something mediocre,but man I am so sick of Mark Waid I might have to say yes.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Frank Miller has anything at all to contribute to the medium of comics anymore. I haven't read Holy Terror, but a friend of mine told me it's propaganda. I think his work in All-Star Batman and Robin was ridiculous, and showed no regard for the characters. His Daredevil work still is his best work, and remains some of the best work ever done in the medium. It always will be. But he clearly has nothing left.

Waid is one of the few writers to come on to the title after Miller who doesn't seem to be owing his entire approach to him. I hope others try the same thing.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I never picked up Holy Terror (and have no interest whatsoever) but I really like Dark Knight Strikes again and All Star Batman and Robin. I totally get why others didn't like/hated the hell out of them but they're just so over the top that I loved them. Amazing energy.

I get that people don't like characters being messed with but I have no problem separating it out. Sure, All Star Batman isn't the Batman we know and love but it's an interesting take nonetheless. So from that point I've view I'd kinda like to see what an older/unhinged Miller would do with Daredevil. If it ended up being good (unlikely) that's great. If it's bad everyone can just ignore it.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I think it would require some restictions in order for my wallet to open up.

He would have to write ONLY (maybe a cover? I'm not too against that) and it would have to be a limited series, or better yet, an OGN that is separate from the main title.

...and no, I didn't buy Holy Terror. I bitched and moaned enough about that train wreck of a book that my local shop thought it would be funny to dump one of their dusty copies on me for my B-day. I did end up reading it one night. I'm trying to erase the experience.
Ronald
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind at all if Miller came back for an out - of - continuity one-off (A return team -up with Geof Darrow would be pretty sweet). As for going back to writing the ongoing series, that time is past.

Slightly off-topic, I wish Marvel would re-print "Elektra Lives Again". Lots of fans today haven't read it, and the book is a beauty.

Ron
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should Miller ever write Daredevil again?? Hmm... Not for an ongoing series!!! I too think this is something from the past, but i don't mind reading a mini series (not an origin story or a "Born again" AGAIN story) from Miller.
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His run is so legendary that if he came back to write the main book, his work would instantly be compared to his previous run and would fall short regardless of the actual quality of the new material because expectations would be too high for him.

The best thing for him then would be a mini-series or graphic novel that is stand alone from the main book. I still think he is a great artist, so I'd take his writing and drawing it.
yudansha
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
His run is so legendary that if he came back to write the main book, his work would instantly be compared to his previous run and would fall short regardless of the actual quality of the new material because expectations would be too high for him.

The best thing for him then would be a mini-series or graphic novel that is stand alone from the main book. I still think he is a great artist, so I'd take his writing and drawing it.

I agree completely! Frank Miller's original run was so great that at this point he would be just tarnishing and diminishing it if he came back to the character.

I refuse to even look at anything Frank Miller has done since Sin City. His work during the 80's was just so good that I don’t want to ruin it by reading his more recent stuff that is woefully bad. In recent years he lost all the little nuanced sophistication and satire of his old work. He now just turns out the same uninspired dark grunge that was produced by no talent writers that tried to imitate Watchman and Miller's own Dark Knight Returns, but only succeeded in creating dark violent books with no deeper meaning, metaphor, satire, or understanding of the core characters. The greatest strength that Frank Miller had was his deep fundamental understanding of the characters he wrote and what made them great. In recent years hes just really seemed to have lost that gift. In short he is a bad imitation of his former self.

For these reasons he should not come back and lessen his run on Daredevil the way that he has already ruined his legendary take on Batman.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He clearly has a love for the character as he's returned a number of times over the years. His work is up there with the very best this medium has to offer. However, if the likes of DK2 or Holy Terror are of any kind of indication as to the type of thing he'd bring to the book, then I don't want him anywhere near this book again.

Anyway, the only person I wish to see make a return and having another go at this character is Nocenti.
yudansha
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
He clearly has a love for the character as he's returned a number of times over the years. His work is up there with the very best this medium has to offer. However, if the likes of DK2 or Holy Terror are of any kind of indication as to the type of thing he'd bring to the book, then I don't want him anywhere near this book again.

Anyway, the only person I wish to see make a return and having another go at this character is Nocenti.

Oh yeah it would be pretty cool to see Nocenti come back and do a mini or a story arc. Although I heard her recent run on Green Arrow wasnt that great.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yudansha wrote:
Pete wrote:

Oh yeah it would be pretty cool to see Nocenti come back and do a mini or a story arc. Although I heard her recent run on Green Arrow wasnt that great.

I'm not enjoying her current work on Catwoman. The character doesn't seem to care about anything. If she returned to Daredevil I'd pick it up, but her current work isn't encouraging.

It would never happen, but I'd be curious to see what Denny O'Neil would do with Daredevil today.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
yudansha wrote:
Pete wrote:

I'm not enjoying her current work on Catwoman. The character doesn't seem to care about anything. If she returned to Daredevil I'd pick it up, but her current work isn't encouraging.

It would never happen, but I'd be curious to see what Denny O'Neil would do with Daredevil today.

Yeah, picked you the first 3 or 4 Green Arrows. I was legitimately excited for new Nocenti but.....yeah....not good. Her Catwoman stuff seems to be getting panned too. Which is too bad since I loved her DD stuff (and X-Men stuff) so, so, so much.

Why aren't you laughing?
dsugar
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I would be ok with it, is if he did a mini series first. Something like a story about Stick or the Chaste. If he does well then I would consider him doing DD issues. I haven't read any of his most recent stuff because I heard from everyone I've asked that it's terrible. I wouldn't mind Nocenti coming back or how about Chuck Dixon??

As for artists I'm sure Miller could do it but I would like seeing Romita Jr., Weeks or McDaniel coming back. We were lucky to have these guys back to back to back. If it were an artists who hasn't had a run on DD, I would say Deodato.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsugar wrote:
The only way I would be ok with it, is if he did a mini series first. Something like a story about Stick or the Chaste. If he does well then I would consider him doing DD issues. I haven't read any of his most recent stuff because I heard from everyone I've asked that it's terrible. I wouldn't mind Nocenti coming back or how about Chuck Dixon??

As for artists I'm sure Miller could do it but I would like seeing Romita Jr., Weeks or McDaniel coming back. We were lucky to have these guys back to back to back. If it were an artists who hasn't had a run on DD, I would say Deodato.

I can't see Miller and McDaniel ever working together since the latter is just a watered down version of the former in terms of art. I really loved McDaniel when he was doing DD and Elektra but that was before I read Sin City. Once I did my perspective changed.

As for Miller having to do a mini first: I feel like everyone is forgetting the proud Daredevil tradition of having COMPLETE GARBAGE appear from time to time in the ongoing series. Playing to the Camera? Flying Blind? Shadowland? Vision Quest (which may have been a good Echo mini but sure wasn't a DD story)? As a DD fan since the 80s I have had to live through some terrible, terrible runs. I'm not saying that's good but nothing defines Daredevil as a comic more than insane inconsistency. The highs are high. The lows are low. Therefore a truly terrible run from Miller would fit into the series quite well.

Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: