Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Variants 101 Request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrinchieDog
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Variants 101 Request Reply with quote

As an old school collector who has recently come back into collecting, I've noticed a lot of the comics have variant issues. Does anyone know the rules or game to the variant effort? Some questions include:

1. How do you know when variants might come out? Does the local comic shop know? Would they get them all?
2. Are they actually worth more? I don't buy to invest but would be interested to know.
3. On EBAY, they reference numbers like 1:25 or 1:20. I assume these aren't numbers relative to size. What do they mean?
4. I'm not saying I'm going to start collecting variant issues (I have enough trouble getting approval from my wife as it is
) but if I did, how can I find out how many and what kind of variants there are, particularly for the Waid run?
5. Does anyone on this board collect them? Why?

How is that for a bunch of questions?

Thanks,
Grinchiedog
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Variants 101 Request Reply with quote

GrinchieDog wrote:
As an old school collector who has recently come back into collecting, I've noticed a lot of the comics have variant issues. Does anyone know the rules or game to the variant effort? Some questions include:

1. How do you know when variants might come out? Does the local comic shop know? Would they get them all?
2. Are they actually worth more? I don't buy to invest but would be interested to know.
3. On EBAY, they reference numbers like 1:25 or 1:20. I assume these aren't numbers relative to size. What do they mean?
4. I'm not saying I'm going to start collecting variant issues (I have enough trouble getting approval from my wife as it is
) but if I did, how can I find out how many and what kind of variants there are, particularly for the Waid run?
5. Does anyone on this board collect them? Why?

How is that for a bunch of questions?

Thanks,
Grinchiedog

Hi, I'll try my best to answer all the questions...

1) Usually variants are solicited in Previews, along with the regular solicits. There are certain types of variant covers you can order normally (1:1), but others you have to order a certain number of copies before you get one copy of the variant (for example, 1:20, means you have to order 20 copies of the normal cover to get the variant).

2) Variant covers usually sell for more than the normal covers, just due to their limited print run.

3) Answered in 1)

4) http://www.manwithoutfear.com/daredevil-cover-gallery-volume-3-variants.cgi

5) I collect them all (if I can afford them). Most of the time, stores jack up the price. Some offer it to their loyal customers at regular price, but that's rare.
GrinchieDog
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kuljit for the quick response. I went to my local comic shop and asked them if they could reserve a variant copy of DD as one was produced. They said they won't do that out of fairness to all, which makes sense. They also said that they tend to mark up the variants depending on the ratio and ultimate number they receive (as you point out with your response below.).

I then asked how many copies of DD they order a week and they were quick to say they don't reveal that information to the public, which also is understandable. I'm an engineer and love back-calculating to show everyone how smart I am so of course I then asked how many copies of the variant (End of Days #8, $12) they received. They picked up on my extremely sophisticated sly and subtle cleverness and didn't answer.

Fun stuff. I continue to love your site by the way.

Grinchiedog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: