Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #1 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #1?
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #1 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #1, by Waid, Samnee & Rodriguez ships this week and here's the preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V4-001

There are several variant covers; some of them are extremely limited and will be difficult to get.

Please use this thread to discuss the issue and please rate it when you get a chance, as the average is displayed on the front page of the site.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to say, but this seems like a step down from Volume 3, which I consistently graded 4 or 5.

Very generic villains, and Matt has gone from lawyer to CSI dude. Under Samnee, the billy club has gotten a little inconsistent with what it can and can't do. Kirsten's disrespect of Matt's role in the firm came off as mean. I'll reserve judgment on the Foggy matter until the next issue, but I'm hoping for some of the sensitivity towards the matter that made Volume 3 so great for me.

I guess Daredevil came off as a bit of a bumbler in this issue, and I didn't want Kirsten playing the role of Oracle. He has to lose the earpiece. It would cripple him.

I know Waid and Samnee can do better than this. I'm just surprised that a (pseudo) #1 would be such a downgrade in quality from a #36.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with last time, I voted 3 because I'm a little mixed. I liked some of little things, but the main story was a little underwhelming. It was just a big chase scene, and as Dimetre said, the villains were generic and boring. I know that guys in supersuits and flying gliders is by no means uncommon in comics books, yet they feel out of place in a street-level book like Daredevil without good development or explanation. I guess that's a symptom of Waid's old school approach, which I'm still getting used to. I got the impression at the end that we are going to be exploring these guys in the next issue, so hopefully it will get more interesting.

On the "good" end of the spectrum, the part where Matt dropped the girl got me excited for a moment, which is a lot more than anything that happened during the Sons of Serpent story arc, so there's that.

It was cool that Matt got more hands-on with the police after revealing his secret identity. I was (and still am) not thrilled about that particular development from last issue, but that's not a bad way to handle it. I also kind of liked Kirsten acting as mission control. As was pointed out in the issue, that has some conflicts with Matt's powers, so that needs to be resolved. At the same time, though, I liked Kirsten being more involved. This is probably because it's the first time I've seen her actually do anything interesting.

To top it off, the part at the end with the door sign had me in stitches. That was hilarious. My curiosity is also piqued about Foggy.

In the end, it was very middle-of-the-road. Kind of standard, nothing to hate but nothing to make it a must have, either. I think what the book needs is for Matt to come into conflict with a name-brand villain again, and let that guide a story arc. Hopefully we'll get that with whatever they are planning in the months to come with the Owl.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 out of 5 for me.

A good first issue, a good intro for Matt and San Fran. Kirsten's role here may seem odd at first, but I can see Matt's reasons why he felt the need for this set-up. (San Fran's cityscape must have changed some since the 70s Wink )

Plus, it allowed for good moments between the pair as DD raced across the city to save the girl. I didn't see generic villains, I saw the beginning of a new mystery. The ransom note raises some questions as does who hired these thugs to kidnap and booby-trap the girl (quite the despicable act if you think about it). And did these guys rip off the plans for Goblin's Glider?

Samnee does an excellent job here, the chase scenes were frenetic, combining with the dialogue to present an exciting adventure.

Matt as a Hero for Hire seems like a cool new aspect to explore for the character. Given how the city of San Fran were previously willing to accept Cyclops and his mutants on Utopia, I think it's interesting to see how the city and Matt will utilize each other.

Another excellent job from this creative team.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great issue, but not quite a 5/5 score. I quite enjoyed the "Batwoman" angle of having DD hooked up to Kirsten (she is no Oracle!) for directions. The issue felt a little darker with the fact that it involved a child with a bomb within her. Its not Bendis or Bru' dark, but it certainly played out in a manner that held my attention through out the issue. The Foggy situation took me right back to Brubaker's Devil in Cell Block D storyline. Appearing dead for his own protection. Curious to see where this goes.
tmckenna
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also rated it 4/5.

The issue did what a good number one issues is supposed to do -- lots of setup and lots of recap. And it did it well...

That said, it didn't quite reach the heights of Moon Knight -- where Ellis knocked it out of the park. So amazing.

Anyway, I'm excited. I can't wait to see what happened to Foggy...

--Tom
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

You're absolutely right about Moon Knight. That was an amazing 1st issue! Grab it folks.

C.
tmckenna
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
You're absolutely right about Moon Knight. That was an amazing 1st issue! Grab it folks.

Quoted for truth...
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it 4/5!! It was a good "first" issue!! I really liked Matt involvement with with the police, i hope it stays with him! The chace scene was pretty good for me but i'm not so sure about the earpiece... I love the scece with the sign, it was funny and i want like crazy to find out about Foggy!!!! I'm so moved by his struggle, like he's a real person... I hate that f*ckin disease even in comics!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: