Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL series coming to Netflix in 2015
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these shows were being done decades ago, when The Hulk and Flash were the standards, of course I'd want a movie. But now, with spectacle being essential for film, and television having evolved so far, I actually think the street level characters will work better on tv than movies. Sure, there's been some really good writing in some of the films, but it's largely buried in the action. Now a super hero show written on the level of Orange is the New Black... I'd take that over a movie.
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and remember a tv show now can be essentially R rated... a super hero movie never will be
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qtmxd wrote:
If these shows were being done decades ago, when The Hulk and Flash were the standards, of course I'd want a movie. But now, with spectacle being essential for film, and television having evolved so far, I actually think the street level characters will work better on tv than movies. Sure, there's been some really good writing in some of the films, but it's largely buried in the action. Now a super hero show written on the level of Orange is the New Black... I'd take that over a movie.

That is true, but I am hoping because this show is on Netflix, that it will be written as a cable show, not a network show.

I dropped Agents of Shield after 4 episodes, because I have been spoiled by cable and I can't watch network dramas anymore, something like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad managed to accomplish far more in their first episode then Agents of Shield did. I never seen a really good live action TV show based on a super hero, I am hoping these Netflix shows change that. I just hope DD can work well on a TV budget.

I am also hoping the show is either a hard PG-13 or a soft R rating wise and take more risks then a Network

Anyway what stories should the first season cover? Usually a Netflix series has 13 episodes right away to watch. You can have an overall arc of DD vs. the Kingpin, with DD fighting more minor villains either as agents of the Kingpin or minor villains having their own stand alone stories while the larger plot is moved forward in sub plots. What key stories that should be covered in a first season?
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never gave a thought to watching SHIELD. The poster alone turned me off... a middle-aged white guy with four white and one Asian kid in their twenties, all of whom look like models. I'm hoping for something akin to Bendis's take on DD, where the hero lives in diverse world of real people. That's why I gave Orange is the New Black as an example on Netflix, not a network show. And of course there's plenty of hard edged police procedural shows that have been on cable. I remember a potential director suggested The Wire with super heroes. Nolan certainly tried with the Batman movies, and they were good, but still overblown and the hero was a stiff. Can any series capture the humanity of the heroes and those around them... television could be good at that.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want at least PG-13 series and I don't even considering a big change in the suit, you know like what they did with Arrow!! But I do like the style of the Arrow series, maybe we would see a DD series like that but PG-13!!
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn't see this coming at all. When they first announced the four show plan I thought it would end up being Inhumans or something.

I would have liked a movie, but seeing as how we're in the so called golden age of television this is great news.

Thank God Matt is getting some screen time again.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two things I don't wanna see.

1 I don't wanna see him running around in red leather it makes him look really stiff

2 I really hope they don't make his costume look like red bed time pajamas. I see a lot of horrible Daredevil costumes on most fan films

So if this is successful who wants to bet we'll see a Defenders comic series in 2015? I think it would be pretty cool
MWOF
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Fiege briefly talks Daredevil in this recent interview..

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/601057

You just got some characters back recently from other companies, like Daredevil. Did you get Daredevil back?

Yeah, yeah.

I’ve been saying for years that Daredevil would be better suited for a TV series than a feature film. It just seems like a superhero lawyer working on a case-by-case basis could work wonders. Has that occurred to you as a possibility?

The future of that particular character is being discussed right now, and could be anything. You know, you look at the procedural, is that what they call it? “The Procedural,” on television?

Yeah.

That could fit the bill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er...I still wanna see a DD movie made.

I liked that Daredevil is intimate to you if you are a fan. He is not popular because he is not as good a character as Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man is. It's just that he is not overexposed.

Well I want him to be overexposed if it means after this series we will have a movie franchise.

People...it's time for the whole world to see why we love Hornhead.

As much as I appreciate this upcoming series. There is just something wrong with the world when we are about to witness an Ant-Man movie and no Daredevil. Talk about not popular.

Daredevil should be associated with the three heroes I just mentioned, and not the likes that was mentioned by Feige. Good characters yes. But good as supporting cast for DD and not be talked about as if they are all in the same level.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't wanna get shortchanged. I want a movie.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryu Murdock wrote:
Er...I still wanna see a DD movie made.

I liked that Daredevil is intimate to you if you are a fan. He is not popular because he is not as good a character as Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man is. It's just that he is not overexposed.

Well I want him to be overexposed if it means after this series we will have a movie franchise.

People...it's time for the whole world to see why we love Hornhead.

As much as I appreciate this upcoming series. There is just something wrong with the world when we are about to witness an Ant-Man movie and no Daredevil. Talk about not popular.

Daredevil should be associated with the three heroes I just mentioned, and not the likes that was mentioned by Feige. Good characters yes. But good as supporting cast for DD and not be talked about as if they are all in the same level.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't wanna get shortchanged. I want a movie.

Well a lot of people say TV is better then movies nowadays, that well Hollywood just produces blockbuster after blockbuster, TV gives us smart and exciting shows like the Wire, Board Walk Empire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc. A TV show can better develop characters then a movie can.

The big question is, does Daredevil work well on a TV budget? I lot of people here talk about the procedural aspects of DD, which are important part of the story, but let's face it, most DD stories have some sort of action climax. Can they do really good action scenes that we expect from DD on a TV budget?

My biggest concern is there has never been a good live action super hero TV show, I don't a repeat of Smallville where they had cut corners all the time and we ended up with smoke demon Darkseid and a fight between Superman and Doomsday that happened entirely off screen. I'm hoping because this is a Netflix effort rather then a network show, it will be better the usual tripe that most live action super hero shows are.

Also regarding something qtmxd said, I don't think they can do the Bendis related stories right away, you can't reveal DD's secret ID in the first season, there is no reason for the general audience to care about it, build DD up for a couple seasons and then reveal his ID, the audience has reason to care about DD at that point and it makes a greater impact. That seems like something that should be done at the end of season 3, not in season 1. They are good stories, but Bendis stuff wouldn't worked with DD existing for decades and thus the readers having a reason to care about him before his ID is revealed. There is a lot of Miller stuff I would want to see before the Bendis and some interesting original stories as well.
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're absolutely right that they shouldn't do a secret identity story early on for precisely the reason you give... the audience has to care first. What I do want to see akin to Bendis and The Wire is a tapestry, where Matt/DD is embedded in a complex story of corruption and fear mixed with the humanity of the urban community. I don't want to see a weekly procedural, where Matt keeps acquiring innocent clients and DD keeps finding the real killer. As for the action, short, intense bursts of it work best for DD . I agree that the low budget action on network superhero shows is dismal.
MWOF
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fire is stoked even more hearing that Drew Goddard is, more than likely, handling the writing chores for the Daredevil TV series. I like his writing background and I especially like his background with Daredevil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few thoughts/hopes,
1) they don't do a Bendis story, maybe the MGH stuff but nothing else would work and some would just be rubbish.
2) they get the costume right, the leather didn't really work, not sure what would though, I think to make him legit they need to play up the ninja aspect but I agree with the above that it should not be a pair of pyjamas!
3) the lawyer thing could be very useful but should not be overplayed.
4) make sure he is a superhero, don't down play his powers, give him super villains to fight not just criminals, otherwise he could easliy get lost when Iron Fist and Luke Cage appear, without good use of his powers he will come across like a second rate Batman.

Arrow is a pretty good series and the powers that be could take alot from it.
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why the views on the movie costume are so negative. I thought it was fine, and logically, I can't think of anything better than dark red leather. No one seems to want armor, and he certainly can't wear bright red spandex.
Beyond Kingpin and Bullseye (though does Marvel have Kingpin... I thought there had been some question), the Nocenti villains would work... Typhoid, Bushwacker, Bullet. But have them ongoing, not villains of the week. I could see the Enforcers... Brubaker made them real villains, not the buffoons they were in Spider-Man. Gladiator could make an appearance. Owl is obvious, but a poor man's Penguin.
ANd he needs a love interest that's a real story, not just "the girlfriend". They could do more with Milla than has been done so far in the comics. If Karen shows up, that could telegraph her becoming increasingly drug-addled until she sell his identity in the 13th episode.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a weekly procedural would be very boring. I love the idea of a Wire/Southland type tone where we get a real feel of Hell's Kitchen.

Also, its being reported that Goddard is in talks to be the series showrunner not just writer. If so I think DD is in great hands.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/lost-buffy-alum-write-run-655342

Finally, I'd love to see Karen's progression into drugs. IMO she'll always be the one true love Matt ever had and so I think she'd be a good addition to the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: