Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #1.50 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #1.50?
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #1.50 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #1.50 came out today, by Waid, Rodriguez, Lopez, Bendis, Maleev, Kesel & Palmer, and has covers by Rivera, Samnee and Martin.

Here's the preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V4-1-50

Please use this thread for all discussion on the issue.

Very glad to see so many of you in the letters page!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,question were they implying that Natasha was the mother of Jack or did I miss something?
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me this over End of Days any day! The lead story didn't quite hit it out of the park for me (and as a relatively new fan who came aboard in the middle of Volume 3, I think I'm more pro-Waid than a lot of other posters here) but it came close. I'm not sure I like some of the things that are supposed to happen in the interim, but the father-son moments, the fact that Rodriguez knows 50 doesn't have to look OLD, the story itself? Loved 'em.

For Bendis, I think I need to admit that I've never been a big fan of long prose in my comic books. I love novels, but that's not what I go to comics for. So the format was already turning me off. The implied ending didn't sit well with me either. The narration was stellar, though.

Kesel? Pure fun. A great way to put a smile on my face as I came to the end.

...A smile that got even bigger when I saw the letters. Very Happy

*Unmasks* Hi. I'm Ellen Fleischer. They put me on page 2.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first story wasn't Waid's best work, but I also liked the father and son moments.

Bendis pretty much copied his Matt and Milla romance in prose form.

Kesel's contribution was heartfelt, but also kind of goofy.

I give this issue a three.

My letter was the third one printed. I've never had a letter published in a comic book before. I should have wrote in decades ago!
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/5

1st one - 3/5. Javier's art was quite good. Unfortunately, Waid's writing brings the grade down. The Owl had a daughter? Seriously? Somebody slept with that thing? I just couldn't get this thought out of my head while reading this. Maybe test tube? This wasn't a good place for my head to be while reading. Hoot! HOOT! HHOOOTTT!!! ACK!

2nd one - 3/5. I miss Maleev. Didn't mind that this was a prose story. I just wanted more Maleev. That didn't seem fair really. As for story, it should of been Milla's will. It certainly felt like it was. The visuals for the ending could of been treated as an imagined one. Still, it was very well written.

3rd one - 3/5. Not really suited to my tastes. The bugged-eyed looking Daredevil is the only thing truly wrong here. That's not a good look at all.

Toronto owned the letters column! That was pretty sweet. As much as I miss Maleev, I miss Rivera much more. Marvel needs to make that one-shot happen soon.

C.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who Jack's mom is?
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
I wonder who Jack's mom is?

Me too. From what I have read, Matt and her met when Matt runned from his "new job". She's supposed to have "an affliction" (Very curious as to what her affliction is), and a very different view on life than Matt...
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voted 2.
It was like reading a bunch of uninteresting fanfics, recycled and self-referential in Bendis and Maleev's case.
Didn't vote 1 only because it's supposed to be a celebration issue.
Skaughtto
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: DAREDEVIL #1.50 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

Kuljit Mithra wrote:
Very glad to see so many of you in the letters page!

That was awesome that you were the first person in the letters page - Congrats!
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/5

I liked Waid's story. The father/son relationship was the core of the story and having a contrast/comparison of that relationship to Matt's upbringing with his father was a great idea by Waid. Factoring that dilemma into the attack by the Owl's daughter was a nice twist as well.

Bendis' story was alright. I found the idea of Matt falling in love with a woman 'chemically' very odd. (Unless that is how Matt ended up dating Milla, I'm unaware since I've never read any of Bendis' DD run).

The Mike Murdock story was fun and a nice wink to the past. Mike's advice was hilarious.

While it's a shame that they couldn't get any input from Miller, Mazz, Nocenti, etc, I thought it was a good issue.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to reading this today. I liked the issue in general, though not as a canon story. It was more like a fun trivia thing to me, in the same way that a "What If" would be.

The first story has me the most on the fence. I'm not big on Matt having given up his secret and moved to San Francisco. I did like this story for the most part, but I don't like how it shows the series to have ended up. Obviously, being Waid's entry, he tied in closely with his own run, which really makes me wonder about the future canon. It's pretty much given that Matt is going to go back to New York eventually, but seeing Waid's vision of the future has me a little apprehensive about what more he's going to do with it while he's still the writer.

I don't like Matt still being in San Fran, I don't like his radar sense "evolving," and frankly, Jack kind of annoyed me. I disagree with what everyone else said about the father/son moments. They were all Jack screaming "waaah!" and Matt saying "it's okay son, I love you." There was no significant interaction between them besides that and it got old quickly.

On the flip side, the concept for the conflict was really intriguing. Wi-fi eye drops getting hacked, it has an almost cyber punk spin to it. Jubal Pride was kind of generic, but the stuff about Matt having confided in her has me interested. The Owl is going to be making appearances in the near future, so maybe we'll see his daughter get a real introduction and get some relationship drama with it.

The second story was the best of the three. It was dark, the art was good, the narration was good. I wouldn't want to read a whole issue in that style, but for a couple pages, it was well done. It did seem kind of like a rehash of Milla Donovan, though, and Matt came off as kind of being a jerk with the whole "can't stand the way I perceive people" thing. It also did seem like anything special enough for an anniversary issue. I still liked it, though.

The last one was fun, if inconsequential. Maybe I would think more of it if I had read anything featuring "Mike Murdock." I laughed at the part with the cheetos, though. Other than that, I loved the art work, and it was fun just to look at that.

So overall, I thought it was good, I can't see myself accepting any of it as canon though.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it 5/5!!! It was a very nice issue!! I liked all the stories a lot!! But my opinion isn't that objective cause finally my email was printed!!! I'm really excited!!! Smile

Very Happy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is kind of a late post, but thought I'd bring it up anyway: Anyone notice the indicia in 1.50 said it was "Daredevil No. 36 April 2014"... would love to hear Ellie (Daredevil Vol.4 editor) tell what happened there.

Maybe the anniversary issue was originally going to be issue 36 of the third series before the decision to restart the series?

I gave the issue 4/5... agree with some of the other comments/critiques in the thread, but overall I liked all three stories, loved Ellie's introduction and the letters pages, and in general was happy that they celebrated DD's 50th with some fun, not in story-line, stories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: