Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #2 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #2?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #2 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #2 ships April 23rd, by Waid, Samnee and Rodriguez.

Here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V4-002

There are two variant covers as well, by Cho and Maleev.

Please use this thread to discuss the issue and rate it.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far every issue in Volume 4 has underwhelmed me.

The opening scene was hindered by some confusing art by Samnee. There is a panel where it looks like there are three different couples on a staircase, but it turns out it was the same couple in three different instances. The way the first scene ended was also confusing for me.

In this issue we meet the Shroud. Once you read this characters back story, your eyes will probably roll into the back of your head, since he's basically a rip-off of one of the most famous characters of the twentieth century. There are some differences, but let's just say that Daredevil's new story arc pits him against an Elseworlds version of this character.

I really need this Foggy business addressed. I was not happy with the way it was skirted over in this issue.

Hoping #3 is better.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/5

Enjoyed this issue a little more than the last one. I think, tonally, it felt closer to the urban realism that I miss a lot on this title (street crime and gangs). I was fine with the reintroduction of the Shroud. An obvious Batman/Shadow-type of copy, only this guy drinks a pretty mean coffee.
I am in awe of Samnee's cartooning and storytelling style. The dream sequence intro did throw me off a tad, but going back and reading it again was worth it. This is a beautiful book.
I hope we see more of the dark streets of San Fran.
Also, there is a Great White sanctuary near The Farallon Islands aka "The Devil's Teeth" just off the San Fran coastline. Would love see a crazy one-parter where Daredevil ends up in those waters.

C.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good issue, intriguing and with the right amount of suspence and action. I wish the art was a little more on the gritty but so far so good.

I confess I'm more interested in how DD will get out of the situation he's in than in what was Foggy's fate. Call me unsensitive but I think we've had more than enough Foggy as of recently.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/5

A good issue, which sees Matt becoming more accustomed to his new hometown. I think the Shroud is an interesting choice as a villain for DD, both blind, both capable of extra-sensory perceptions. Seeing how the Shroud's darkness powers affected Matt was cool.

Samnee continues to impress with each issue.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 4.

Not bad. I would say that so far the quality seems to rising from where volume 3 ended. I like the Shroud. He has me interested so far. I mean yes, his origin story was ripped straight from Batman Begins, but he's been around for a while so you can't blame that on Waid. I like his violent vigilante tendencies. It stands as a nice contrast to Daredevil's constant Lawful Good. He also has a more enigmatic atmosphere to him than characters with similar gimmicks, like the Punisher. Also, his powers are pretty awesome.

There are a couple things I didn't like about this issue, but they are on a more "meta" level. For starters, I didn't like how it ties in with the previous issue. Meaning it doesn't, at all. As I discussed in the thread for that one, issue 1 was kind of a Big Lipped Alligator Moment for me, and when it concluded, I was under the impression that the story would be continued. It still could in the future, I guess, but since we still have nothing tying into that, my view of the first issue is tarnished a little more in retrospect.

The other problem for me was just how fast his issue went. I don't mean fast paced or exciting, I mean when I finished reading it, I couldn't believe that was all there was to it. I guess this is what people complain about when they mention Marvel's "decompressed storytelling." This chapter felt like it could have lasted five pages, and instead it's spread out across an entire issue. It makes it feel like the content was sparse.

I still found it entertaining, though. It was probably my favorite issue since I started reading Daredevil again back in September. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Matt's interaction with the Shroud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: