Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #6 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #6?
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #6 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #6 by Waid, Rodriguez and Lopez ships July 23rd, and here's the preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V4-006

Please use this thread for all your comments about the issue. It's an Original Sin tie-in and plans to reveal quite a bit about Jack Murdock and Sister Maggie's past.
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Is it. I like Waid, I like the different trĂ´ne he brought to the title. The end of his Bullseye arc was terrific. But, this Is his worst issue, and the only one that I hated ( Yes, I hated it )

In one issue, both Jack and Grace Murdock are butchered. One Is a woman beater, and the other Is a coward who flew but let Matt with a violent man.

and should I write something on the far stretched story about the Wakanda ?

2 / 5, for the art...
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm able to handle the Wakanda subplot, because I accept that we're in the Marvel Universe. (Although just because someone purchases some land doesn't mean the land isn't in the United States anymore, but whatever.)

I can accept Jack having a violent streak. He is shown hitting Matt in #191, and Man Without Fear.

We don't know everything about the circumstances leading to Maggie's exit. We've never known and we still don't.

Rodriguez does nice work on the art, and Matt's narration has a cool noir feel.

I thought the issue was okay, but only okay. I would have rather Matt just dealt with what he saw when the bomb went off. The Wakanda subplot felt like a diversion. It was upsetting to see Daredevil so easily manhandled by a couple of normal dudes, but that means he has to be thinking of a way out of everyone knowing his identity and how his powers work. I'll see where the next issue goes.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning Jack into a woman beater was unnecessary .He already had enough dirt on him.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some interesting speculations over at scans_daily: http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4776224.html#comments.

It's been pointed out that Jack has scratch marks on his face. I want to state for the record that I'm not condoning physical abuse. With that in mind, I will say that there are some circumstances where it is understandable. Never right. Never justifiable. But understandable. Suppose that Jack had found Maggie abusing Matt or trying to kill him? (Post-partum depression, perhaps?) He tries to get her away. She fights him. He shoves her. That would go a long way toward 1) explaining the scene and 2) explaining why Maggie would leave Jack but still believe that Matt was better off with him.

I guess we'll find out for sure in #7, but I'm a little hesitant to jump to conclusions at this point.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say for the most part I have enjoyed Waid's run. There is some truly inspired storytelling going on in a lot of his issues. Thats not to say I haven't found some of his issues boring and some have had what I consider to be some truly terrible character moments and decisions.
This was terrible. This was officially the worst issue of Daredevil since before the Smith relaunch in 1998. Stories I thought were complete and utter crap such as Shadowland, End of Days, Playing to the Camera, all golden in comparison. Utter butchering of a great character in Sister Maggie. Ignores existing continuity i.e. Jack hitting Matt and having Maggie in the past inexplicably going by her middle name "Grace". Reinforces what a terrible decision it was for Matt to admit to the world that he was Daredevil and makes him look completely foolish. Pointless change for the the sake of change. It was like Marvel suddenly let Chuck Austen write Daredevil instead of Mark Waid.
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
It was like Marvel suddenly let Chuck Austen write Daredevil instead of Mark Waid.

Actually, it sounds just like Mark Waid, and just like all of the other major decisions he's made while on DD.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the issue out, it's premature to say what really happened in that flashback. I fully expect some sort of plot twist in the next issue.

Edit: I've given this issue a 4.
ninjacop
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: not enough original sin Reply with quote

I was disappointed with this issue because i thought it would show us more of how Maggie became who she was, if the original sin is that a washed-up boxer beat his wife then i have to say i am really disappointed by the cliche.

I also don't like how the story developed into Maggie becoming a political activist nun, when we have seen nothing of her in the comics for all of Volume 3 and 2, and she pops up now as if she is a regular supporting character!

I know the "sin" is meant to be a glimpse, but a boxer beating his wife, c'mon, I would've preffered the sin that Maggie was always a nun who strayed an had Matt, rather than it looking like she left her husband to go to the nunhood.

i give it 4/5
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually kind of liked it, though it definitely has some flaws. I think the different elements of it are great but they seem odd placed together. As far as the actual "Original Sin" part with Jack beating his wife, like others have said, it remains to be seen how that will turn out. I always felt that Jack had a darker side of of personality but it ultimately wasn't as strong as the good part, which was his true self. I hope that it doesn't come out to make him anything worse than that.

The weakest part was the characterization of Maggie. I'm having a hard time accepting the woman that Matt was talking to as the same woman who appeared in Born Again. In this, she seems a bit too meek compared the way she acted in that, though it could be my own misinterpretation. On top of that, she could also just be scared given her circumstances. Which brings me to another complaint: why were a group of old nuns out painting peace signs on a wall like some college hippies? That was by the far the dumbest part of this issue.

On the other hand, the political conspiracy part really has me intrigued. I think the mystery and the idea of Matt being given the runaround while innocent people are falling victim to government BS with hints of conspiracy is actually pretty good story telling, I enjoyed the second half of the book immensely. My biggest concern is that next issue is going to turn it into a goofy action scene with some cliche sci-fi plot twist involving the nuns.

I think this issue would have been great if it were divorced from the Original Sin and from Matt's mother. If it had been another one of his friends, or even a client or something, that got him involved in the conspiracy, it would have been top notch. It's still pretty good, but it's dragged down by the contrivances from the Original Sin plot. I hope the next issue doesn't suck.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Sister Maggie. It struck me as odd to see her doing something so pointless, for a nun accustomed to helping the poor, the sick and the wounded while praying and trusting in the help of God, such as spraypainting a slogan on the wall of a military facility. I think it doesn't fit with the portrayal of the character.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
I agree about Sister Maggie. It struck me as odd to see her doing something so pointless, for a nun accustomed to helping the poor, the sick and the wounded while praying and trusting in the help of God, such as spraypainting a slogan on the wall of a military facility. I think it doesn't fit with the portrayal of the character.

That is the only "problem" with this issue (imo)... The flashback scene tells us nothing more than they had a fight. Jack hit Grace, Grace scratched Jack. That's it!! We don't see why or even how... Why is Jack holding Matt? I think there is something more than meets the eye here!!
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this issue changes nothing, yet, in context it might but not yet, a fight is all.

However what does change is the Matt has now become the worst superhero ever, Bendis's version of DD was weak but this guy is pathetic, I am ashamed to be a fan, something has to change in the near future, you cant have office workers beating DD!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: