Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil: What Keeps You Coming Back No Matter What?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightwing2001
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Daredevil: What Keeps You Coming Back No Matter What? Reply with quote

With the recent Man Without Fear board Civil War (just for fun which poster was Cap and which one was Iron Man? Wink) on here it got me thinking about why most hardcore Daredevil readers will keep on collecting and reading the book even when they think it stinks to high heaven and literally hate it with every fibre of their being. Why is that? I fall into that category of DD fan as well. Although I did drop the book once in my whole time of collecting it (since 1985!) in the middle of the Bendis run, but then picked up the trades of it later on even though I really didn't like it at all so I guess even then I really didn't stop. I really can't say that about any other comic character, even ones I love as much as DD like Spider man, Batman, and Nightwing. I've always stopped buying their books when I became unhappy with their directions whether it was from a creative team I didn't like or changes to the characters I felt we're bad. But with Daredevil I keep on buying it no matter what. Is it out of loyalty? Is it because Daredevil seems more like it could be real compared to other Superheroes? Is it because Matt Murdock is a flawed person that is easier to relate to? or is it just because Daredevil is just so damn cool?

Since a lot of other posters on here seem to be the same as me on their loyalty to buying it no matter what, I would be curious to see what their opinions would be on why we do it.
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea for a topic. I am genuinely interested in hearing people's answers. I would personally drop this title if I started hating it, I believe an ongoing series is really only as good as the current creative team, no matter how great or crappy the character's history is. However I know that there are many comic readers who follow a character loyally through thick and thin, and I would be interested to hear their viewpoints as to why.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right now, I'm enjoying the title, but there are two reasons why I would continue to buy books that I've fallen out of love with. #1 is less-relevant in the digital age, but it kept me with other books for a long time.

1) I'm worried that right when I decide 'enough is enough' and drop the book, it's going to turn the corner and get better and then I'll be running around trying to find the back issues I missed and I'll never get them all.

2) I write fanfiction. I need a certain amount of fresh source material to keep me inspired. I also love when I hit a certain "zone," best defined as 'this arc would be so much better, if only...' If the arc is already great? I don't feel a need to write fic that riffs off of it, though I'll sometimes do a short vignette, say a conversation or bit of introspection that could have happened between panels. If the arc is absolutely awful, boring, and without merit? I might as well try scaling a glass hill in bedroom slippers. But if it's "I love this, except for Plot Point A. So what if that were to change? Suppose that just when X happened, instead of taking that left-hand turn at Albuquerque, they'd gone right?" I live for that...

Last edited by Dragonbat on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Marcus Plato
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's just because I'm a completist. I could never just not pick up an issue or a run; either I collect the character or I don't, and after 30 years, I simply can't stop. It may, however, be longer between visits to the comic store to pick up issues that it was before. I'm not champing at the bit for the latest issue anymore; in fact I kind of dread it, and that's just sad.
And yes, until recently Daredevil was just so damned cool! That's what got me hooked, and what keeps me on the line.
GrinchieDog
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread! I started back up again collecting DD about 5 years ago when I started reading Miller and then the Bendis/Brubaker runs. Loved it. I keep coming back because DD is so unique and he usually has a very interesting supporting cast. I'm not so in love with Waid's run, but periodically I enjoy some parts (I've actually found that I enjoy Waid if I read 5 or so issues in a row in the TBP rather than month by month). Now I'm getting into Nocenti's run and am really enjoying it.

I would drop DD in a heartbeat though if he was part of the mainstream Marvel universe where his stories were intertwined with all of these crossover events. I can't handle keeping track of which issue goes when of what title. Historically, it seems like Spiderman is the main title that DD may be found mixing it up in over the years. I'm not going to collect the recent and upcoming SheHulk or the recent Hulk titles with DD appearances, or for that matter the recent Black Widow title. Wait a minute, maybe I'm wrong about DD's lack of crossover participation!!! Smile Fortunately, the TPBs include the rare crossovers like the DD/Spiderman/Punisher set a year or two back.

Having said all of that in a rambling manner, the bottom line is that I love DD and will always collect him (hoping the bad times won't be so bad or long)!!!

Grinchiedog.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also dropped Daredevil in the middle of the Bendis run. The reason was I wasn't enjoying the book at all, and there was no sign of the creative team leaving. I picked up David Mack's Echo arc, and then I was done for a few years. As soon as Brubaker and Lark took over, I was back.

Daredevil is a character who inspires me like no other superhero. I have no problem dropping any other character. But you vote with your wallet. If you're buying product you deem unsatisfactory, you're sending the exact opposite message to the company. It's different if you know that unsatisfactory creative team is coming to an end, because then you can justify keeping up to date on the book. But if there is no sign of them leaving, and you're really not enjoying it, what else can you do but drop it?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now there hasn't really been something that has kept me coming back no matter what.
I've just found different reason to keep reading. For example, in Waid's case it was his ability to find diverse ideas, adding new elements, bring back tidbits from the past in a new light (like the robo-leapfrog, for example).
I don't like the direction and I think the tone could be handled better, but these things keep me intrigued.
evoxpisces
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been here in a long time... but anyway, I've never collected comics, really. Not until I found Daredevil anyway. I like comics, I enjoy reading Spider-Man, Venom, Silver Surfer, X-Men, and a few others, but never collected those. Not until I started reading the new Daredevil run in 2010 or 2011 (forget when it started) but I instantly fell in love. So I am not a long-time DD fan but it made me want to collect them. It is the only comic series I collect. I even went back to collect old TPB's and old issues I missed throughout the years. I have yet to find a bad issue of DD. From what I've seen DD has been consistently fantastic since he was originally created. I keep coming back because DD is the one Marvel superhero in which I can mostly relate to, who entertains me, and in which the storytelling has been consistently engrossing, and not to mention the artwork has always been a huge draw for me. Actually, the art style is what initially drew me in. Yes, I even loved the Daredevil movie. So, am I just loyal? Maybe. What if the series suddenly becomes bad? Would I keep reading? Probably. I just love the character, and the series has been fantastic for so long that I can even look bad a few hiccups in the storytelling. I also think because DD is the one superhero of which I must read, of which I collect for, and just always enjoy, I will probably never abandon him.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoxpisces wrote:
Haven't been here in a long time... but anyway, I've never collected comics, really. Not until I found Daredevil anyway. I like comics, I enjoy reading Spider-Man, Venom, Silver Surfer, X-Men, and a few others, but never collected those. Not until I started reading the new Daredevil run in 2010 or 2011 (forget when it started) but I instantly fell in love. So I am not a long-time DD fan but it made me want to collect them. It is the only comic series I collect. I even went back to collect old TPB's and old issues I missed throughout the years. I have yet to find a bad issue of DD. From what I've seen DD has been consistently fantastic since he was originally created. I keep coming back because DD is the one Marvel superhero in which I can mostly relate to, who entertains me, and in which the storytelling has been consistently engrossing, and not to mention the artwork has always been a huge draw for me. Actually, the art style is what initially drew me in. Yes, I even loved the Daredevil movie. So, am I just loyal? Maybe. What if the series suddenly becomes bad? Would I keep reading? Probably. I just love the character, and the series has been fantastic for so long that I can even look bad a few hiccups in the storytelling. I also think because DD is the one superhero of which I must read, of which I collect for, and just always enjoy, I will probably never abandon him.

Kindred spirit!!!!! Laughing
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider myself a comic collector; I am a comic reader.

I read these books because I love the characters, enjoy their stories and appreciate fine art. I have no qualms about dropping any title I read if I don't like an aspect of it whether that be the storyline(s), the characterization, the art, or anything else. At 4 dollars a pop these days for about 23 pages, I fully expect to be entertained and enjoy what I buy.

Thus, I own no complete runs on any comic title, excluding mini-series. That applies to Daredevil as well. There have been many times during which I have stopped buying the title, some due to my dislike of certain creative efforts and other times because Real Life intrudes and frankly I can't spare the money.

But I keep coming back to Matt Murdock because I believe him to be one of the finest comic characters still being printed today. His background, his origin, his mythos, his loves, his losses, his battles, his powers, his handicap, all have blended together to create a classic, flawed hero.

Plus, Daredevil is the most human hero Marvel has. His only superpower per se is his radar sense. Everything else about him is a result of his hard work, determination, and sheer willpower. He may get battered and broken yet he still summons the courage to put on that mask and fight for justice.

Creative teams and visions may come and go but the core character of Matt Murdock will always draw me back regardless.
GrinchieDog
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said!!!!
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil was the first superhero comic I collected as a kid (my older brother had already claimed Spider-Man and my younger brother had claimed Batman). I was given #247 as a prize related to a flyer route a did with my brothers and have collected every issue since (except the Echo mini-series that they pretended was Daredevil for a few months).

At this point I've collected it for so long that I don't think I could bring myself to drop it. Partly because the collector in me is compelled to and partly because Daredevil has been such a big part of my life for just about as long as I can remember. At this point I honestly can't remember if I loved Daredevil because I wanted to be a lawyer or if I wanted to be a lawyer because I loved Daredevil. Either way, I now have original Daredevil art hanging in my law office.

So it's not that it keeps me coming back. I just collect Daredevil and probably always will. Which means I swing back and forth between collecting Daredevil and enjoying it and collecting Daredevil and suffereing through it.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about 5 years, I quit comics altogether. Right at the end of Brubakers run. In November of last year I randomly wandered into a comic shop and found an old friend running the joint. I asked about DD and he said Waid was doing a great job with the book. I signed up as a subscriber that day and have been picking up the issues that I'm missing here and there. I'd have to say that my story is a lot like JC (but I'm not a lawyer). I've been reading DD since the mid 1980s and just can't see reading comics without DD. If that means suffering through some low point, so be it. I'm hooked for life.

JC, you mentioned having DD art hanging in your office! is it a commission or a page from a book? Back before I had kids, I purchased 8 pages from different artists that I have framed. I'd love to get more, but I also have to feed my kids Smile
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:

JC, you mentioned having DD art hanging in your office! is it a commission or a page from a book? Back before I had kids, I purchased 8 pages from different artists that I have framed. I'd love to get more, but I also have to feed my kids Smile

It's pencils and inks of a page from an issue (not in the office right now so I forget which). It's volume 3 but not from any issue that holds any particular significance for me. It's a page where Matt is meeting with Gladiator in prison which is great because clients who don't read comics don't think it's too out of place (I'm a criminal lawyer) and probably don't realize it's a superhero page. On the other hand, the few comic reading clients I have had recognize it immediately and think it's pretty cool.

While on the subject one of my biggest regrets (comic wise) was not buying two pages from 247 when I had the chance. Someone was selling the two page spread where they talk about the wires and the memories and stuff and I almost bought them but thought it was too expensive (and I was in school at the time). Every once and a while I look to see if they're back in circulation but no luck.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: