Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Is DD Totally Mental?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Is DD Totally Mental? Reply with quote

There has been loads of chat on here recently about DDs changing character, I think some of this can be put down to aging, when he first came in he was fresh faced and not too confident with women as he grew older he became tougher and very, maybe too, confident with the ladies. This is just a couple of examples.

Many people have complained about how his character is jumping around, from light to dark and back again, ask yourself this - if you were haunted by an obsession with justice, had seen numerous lovers die or being driven insane, been put in prison, been poisoned with fear gas 1,000,001 times, been possessed and even actually met the actual Devil on a couple of occassions, would you not maybe go a bit insane? To pigeon hole DDs personality is stupid when you consider that he has went through all of this, maybe we need to accept that anyone who has been through this much will be totally unstable. He has certain aspects which have never changed and I hope that remains the case, he will always be stubborn, he will always like the ladies, he will always be obsessed with winning and he will always fight for justice, but we have to accept he is now crazy.

Put in that context is unveilling his secret identity that weird? No. Is faking your friends death that crazy? No. Is moving your life across to SF nuts? No.

This needs to be seen as the new status quo folks, I am gonna love it, its gonna be a fun ride!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never accept the status quo because it's lame.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. I can't justify lame writing by saying "oh well, DD is crazy because once he used to have multiple personality disorder".
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
I will never accept the status quo because it's lame.

Not that Waid is the first writer to do this, but isn't it about time DD used his Ninja training to control his senses so he can no longer be reduced to quivering helplessness by anyone with a dog whistle?
But let's see....Matt publicly says how his senses work, and is promptly beaten up by some ordinary guy who says, "Maybe you shouldn't have told us how your senses work." Insane?... more like the stupidest super hero in comics history. Reading this stuff is painful, and I don't find it reassuring to wait for whatever brilliant plans wacky Waid has in mind to resolve this.
But this is the status quo, and I'm no longer depending on the tv show to undo it.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to fix a troublesome point usually leads to a good idea for a story.
Bendis did that with his second storyarc, where he addressed the age old point "well, if Kingpin knows his greatest foe's secret identity and he's still around, why doesn't he out him and destroy him again and again?"
and it all lead to the awesome first half of his run.
I think a similar thing could be done with the "why can't everyone with a dog whistle take on DD and why doesn't DD do anything about it" point.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Trying to fix a troublesome point usually leads to a good idea for a story.
Bendis did that with his second storyarc, where he addressed the age old point "well, if Kingpin knows his greatest foe's secret identity and he's still around, why doesn't he out him and destroy him again and again?"
and it all lead to the awesome first half of his run.
I think a similar thing could be done with the "why can't everyone with a dog whistle take on DD and why doesn't DD do anything about it" point.

That's a fair point. But I wouldn't label it as lazy writing though. We and Matt are now seeing the full range of consequences of his decision to go public so Waid is at least pointing out these concerns. Waid could have as easily just ignored them and kept on going but instead he is showing you and Matt that this decision carries some hidden faults and dangers.

So I'm thinking that as time goes on, Matt will discover more negative effects of going public that may eventually force him to reconsider or even reverse what he did.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did I label it as a lazy point?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: