Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil will have "gritty crime stories"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Daredevil will have "gritty crime stories" Reply with quote

Netflix CCO Ted Sarandos talked with Empire Magazine about the Marvel shows on his network (is Netflix a network? what do we call it?). He described the tone as "gritty crime stories" and the costume to be "more down on the street than in the clouds".

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/27/netflix-head-says-daredevil-and-the-defenders-can-be-darker-than-marvel-movies

Since we haven't seen the costume yet, do you think there even will be a costume? Remember, Daredevil: The Man Without Fear didn't have a costume until the very end. Matt had a makeshift "costume". Think they'll go that kind of route, or something leather like the 2003 movie?
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DD not having a costume would upset people,I don't think Marvel can take that kind of gamble on DD.He needs to have a costume,he needs to be marketed as Daredevil,not Matt Murdock.
Marcus Plato
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And not just a costume, but one that is loyal to the source!
We want horns!!!
We want a big double D in the middle of his chest!!!
We want twin billy clubs!!!
And of course... it had better be red!!!
That's not "up in the clouds" considering how loyal they've been with every other character in the MU.
Well, except Hawkeye...
Marcus Plato
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and Falcon... mercifully!
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding me?? Of course there has to be a costume!!!!!
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds promising if you really want this to be gritty:

http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2014/09/showrunner-steven-deknight-hints-at-violent-daredevil-show.html
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Plato wrote:
And not just a costume, but one that is loyal to the source!
We want horns!!!
We want a big double D in the middle of his chest!!!
We want twin billy clubs!!!
And of course... it had better be red!!!
That's not "up in the clouds" considering how loyal they've been with every other character in the MU.
Well, except Hawkeye...

I personally could do without the D's, but I agree with everything else. The general audience has shown themselves willing to accept costumed superheroes in otherwise gritty and "realistic" shows. Now they may tone down the colors or incorporate some non-traditional elements (Captain America gets something that looks closer to WWII soldier armor, for example) or lampshade that the costume looks a bit hokey (Captain America again, with his "show" uniform appearing in the Avengers).

But I'll note that only the good Captain has struggled with this. Both Iron Man and Thor wear their costumes without irony or reserve. When comparing costumes, Daredevil's costume is not one that should give concern. It doesn't have the over-the-top patriotism and bright colors of Captain America. It is relatively subtle overall and uses dark reds that fits well with modern design aesthetics. I really have no doubt that Matt Murdock will be wearing something recognizable as Daredevil in this show.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
obiwan570
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i like DD to be true to the comics i also realize that on a live action small screen DD costume may be a bit Bleeehh.. Think we should be realistic and say if i have to go bust a gang of mobsters in a warehouse and i am not bullet, missile, grenade and laser proof what will i wear. Most likely something light so i can move quick protective and blends into the surroundings. You cant shoot what you cant see.
So bright red is a no no. Probably shouldn't call it a costume either. I mean check out SWAT or SEAL teams what do you call what they wear?

But that is me thinking
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obiwan570 wrote:
While i like DD to be true to the comics i also realize that on a live action small screen DD costume may be a bit Bleeehh..

sure, but TV has come a long way in the last couple of years. I think the costumes are definitely getting better.

Flash still looks pretty stupid, but Deathstroke in that Green Arrow TV show for example looks absolutely fantastic. so yeah, lets hope it'll be good. but whether a costume is perfect or not shouldnt diminish your enjoyment of the whole story all that much I think Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: