Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Where do I go from here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving it too. I started reading DD right in the middle of Vol. 3 so Waid's was my first experience. (Then I went back and grabbed everything from Volume 1 on that was digitally available on MU and Comixology).

I'm not about to chide people who liked the old direction more than the current, partly because I'm relatively new here... but mostly because my reason for picking up DD in the first place stemmed in large part from disliking the way DC's reboot threw much of what I love(d) about the Bat-family out the window and started with a bold new direction. And DC's sales, from what I've heard, are up. There are clearly people just as passionate about the new direction as I was about the old one.

So I go off, find a new (to me!) title I love, love, love and discover that now I'm the passionate New 52 fan... Hooray for me, but I do get (even if I don't share) the feelings of people who've been following DD for far far longer than I.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Redemption and I want to thank people for recommending that story. I'll probably post a review at some point.

I have two options:
Continue going forward and start on Brubaker in January.
Go back and get the silver age issues (also, Karl Kesel and Joe Kelly's 90s stuff).

Going forward has obvious advantages: I can catch up to the present, which is my ultimate goal.

Going to the beginning has the advantage of seeing some first stories for various characters. For example, given his recent coverage, it would be nice to see Calvin Zabo (Mister Hyde). I think he makes a return in Brubaker's run as well. Also, the Kesel/Kelly run has Mr. Fear who may be worth reading before I finish Brubaker.

I could also split the difference and get one old one new (the problem with that is it slows down both avenues, meaning it won't be until February before I finish the Devil in Cell Block D and reach the first story with Mister Hyde).

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would go ahead with Brubaker. It's an awesome run with some great appearances from some characters that haven't popped up a little while.

It was great how Brubaker continued what Bendis had set up at the end of his own run.

Art wise, its solid. I prefer Maleev, but Lark gets the job done quite nicely.

Brubaker is also very fond of the noir narrative and it shows here.

I think once you get into the story you'll have no problem finishing it very quickly. Its a large run, but such a great read.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. In my opinion, The Devil In Cell Block D is one of the best Daredevil story arcs out there. I personally put it up with Born Again, Man Without Fear and Child's Play.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. It's also possible I can do a bit of both. I'm thinking of getting the first Brubaker story next month as well as Essential Daredevil Vol. 1 to get the first 25 or so Stan Lee stories.

Now here's a weird problem. I've got Miller in Omnibus form (three volumes to cover most of his run). I got Bendis in the Ultimate Collection (again, three volumes). Brubaker also has a three volume Ultimate Collection, but his Trade Paperback is cheaper (even with shipping, I'll save maybe a dollar or two each). I'm not a serious collector. I'm not going for original issues or anything like that. My primary goal is to just read the stories. On the other hand, I have to acknowledge this is still a collection. There is a nice parallel in having the mega-collections for the major authors. Plus, it'll save space on my bookshelf.

So, is it worth spending a little more on the Ultimate Collections or should I stick to Trade Paperback?

Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ultimate collections personally. The space issue is a big factor, I have barely any room on my shelf now.

Plus, it feels great having all that material in two or three books.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, thanks for helping me out so far.

A quick update. I've finished Brubaker's run and I've started reading from the beginning. Now my question going forward is what to do about Andy Diggle? My understanding is it wasn't as impressive, shall we say?

I have two options. I can buy it in Trade Paperback form (although it's unclear if "The Devil's Hand" covers everything it needs to cover or if there are missing issues before Shadowland). Or I can read it on Marvel Comics Unlimited and leave them out of my collection. While collecting is a big part of what I'm doing, my goal is ultimately to read them (which is why I prefer TPB over individual comics). If I skip them, I can get more silver age stories quicker and get to Waid's run sooner as well. But I will be leaving them out if someone ever looks at my collection.

What do you guys think? What would you do in my situation?

I suppose there's a third option: skip the stories entirely. But I think I might as well read them no matter what.

Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading Brubaker's run again (the Aja Kingpin issue near the end is up next) but this is the first time I've read it on its own without reading the Bendis run first.

I've gotta say it's a lot better for me when I haven't gone straight from Bendis to this. Having the separation means I'm not unconsciously wishing for more Maleev art. Bendis' run will always be my favourite, more epic action, more drama and better art but this is the first time I've really appreciated Brubaker's work.

Another interesting thought is that people mention how these two constantly beat Matt down and while there's a lot of crappy stuff that happens to Matt he always wins in Bendis' run but loses big time in Brubaker's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: