Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What Silver Age Elements Work and Don't Work in Modern DD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: What Silver Age Elements Work and Don't Work in Modern DD Reply with quote

Its pretty obvious that Daredevil was changed from its Silver Age incarnation, to what it became after Frank Miller's run on the title. But elements from the Silver Age still work in a modern DD story and what elements are no longer relevant?

It seems like his supporting cast, Foggy and Karen Page, were still relevant in the Post Miller era (though Karen has been dead over 14 years now). His rogues gallery has had mixed results, characters like Stilt-Man, Leap-Frog and Matador never really found their footing in the modern era. I read Stilt-Man's first appearance, it wasn't bad, but he would have worked better as a one shot villain rather then a reoccurring one. However other Silver Age DD rogues like Mr. Fear, Owl, Purple Man, Gladiator and to a lesser extent Mr. Hyde (who is very hit or miss) have found relevancy in the modern era.

It also seemed like the yellow costume was quickly ditched in favor of the iconic red one, showing that sometimes change can be necessary right away.

Last edited by The Overlord on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
beneverett
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very early on, while he was still in his yellow duds and for a short period afterwards, The writers (Stan Lee in this case) tried to add some extra features to his billy club that never stuck, which was a little disappointing as some of them were pretty practical (lock-pick, concealed microphone, etc.). He also had a hollow portion filled with capsules that provided the nutrients of a full meal if I remember correctly, and it was roomy enough to conceal a large sheet of plastic wrap which he used to defeat the Purple Man in their first encounter -obviously that is a bit far-fetched. In the end, I think keeping the billy club simple was the right choice. I didn't feel that the Mr. Kline "robot assassin from the future" story played out well either. It is interesting going through some of the villains you mentioned. Bendis used the Leap-Frog in his very first run on the book and Brubaker used a Matador during his. While these were not the original characters, they still found a way to make them somewhat contemporary. Honestly, I think it isn't the elements so much as how those elements are handled by the creative team. Waid's run has a lot of that silver age flavor, but I think that he and his team have done an excellent job overall of presenting these elements in a way that works with the stories they are telling and builds on what has come before.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Bendis was using Leap Frog in any Silver Age sense. It was very much "look how stupid he is." There's some merit to that. Before Frank Miller, Daredevil legitimately had one of the weaker rogues galleries for Marvel. The whole story was intended as a tribute to Miller (using the perspectives of other characters, taking a small, personal story where the hero isn't necessarily a hero, and telling it well, etc.). But I maintain that Miller probably felt the same way about Stilt Man as Bendis felt about Leap Frog.

And, you know what. I have no problem with that. He's a corny character. Plenty of characters are capable of being redeemed and updated, but others are best left buried in the past. We're not in the silver age anymore. We have to acknowledge that. It's still possible to go back and read and enjoy those comics without having to sacrifice modern reader sensibilities by doing the same things today.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
beneverett
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will concede that neither Leap-Frog or Stilt-Man particularly stand out as being genuine threats -Leap-Frog specifically, seeing as how DD already had a frog themed bad guy in Frog-Man from the Ani-Men-, and I will grant that his rogues gallery has been underwhelming in spots (I don't think anybody is waiting for DD to re-team with Uri Geller for a rematch with Mindwarp and his Think Tank). But I still maintain that, for the most part, it isn't the elements themselves so much as how they are handled. I liked Waid's Leap-Frog a little more than Bendis's if only because Waid tried to do more with him than say "look how stupid he is." True, Waid is approaching his stories in a different way from Bendis, and to be fair, I understand what BMB's LF wanted to accomplish whereas MW's LF was a bit vague. I suppose what I'm saying is that it depends on the context. Take the Mandrill for example, would a story where he uses an army of brainwashed women to conquer the U.S. work today? Absolutely not, that's beyond absurd! But the Mandrill himself remains an interesting character with a great amount of potential, and to see him treated as a joke character or one panel boxing dummy as he has been in recent years I feel is also absurd - albeit for different reasons. I hope this makes some sense, I admit this reply isn't as focused as I would hope.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beneverett wrote:
I will concede that neither Leap-Frog or Stilt-Man particularly stand out as being genuine threats -Leap-Frog specifically, seeing as how DD already had a frog themed bad guy in Frog-Man from the Ani-Men-, and I will grant that his rogues gallery has been underwhelming in spots (I don't think anybody is waiting for DD to re-team with Uri Geller for a rematch with Mindwarp and his Think Tank). But I still maintain that, for the most part, it isn't the elements themselves so much as how they are handled. I liked Waid's Leap-Frog a little more than Bendis's if only because Waid tried to do more with him than say "look how stupid he is." True, Waid is approaching his stories in a different way from Bendis, and to be fair, I understand what BMB's LF wanted to accomplish whereas MW's LF was a bit vague. I suppose what I'm saying is that it depends on the context. Take the Mandrill for example, would a story where he uses an army of brainwashed women to conquer the U.S. work today? Absolutely not, that's beyond absurd! But the Mandrill himself remains an interesting character with a great amount of potential, and to see him treated as a joke character or one panel boxing dummy as he has been in recent years I feel is also absurd - albeit for different reasons. I hope this makes some sense, I admit this reply isn't as focused as I would hope.

I think Mandrill has been made redundant with all the attention Purple Man has gotten in recent years, Killgrave is also a mind control rapist, but a more dangerous one because his powers work on almost everyone. Like wise Mr. Fear has recently used a chemical based on his fear chemicals to control women and rape them, at this point Mandrill is just redundant, his role is being filled by a couple of more interesting and dangerous villains in DD's rogues gallery.

Mike Murdock wrote:
I don't think Bendis was using Leap Frog in any Silver Age sense. It was very much "look how stupid he is." There's some merit to that. Before Frank Miller, Daredevil legitimately had one of the weaker rogues galleries for Marvel. The whole story was intended as a tribute to Miller (using the perspectives of other characters, taking a small, personal story where the hero isn't necessarily a hero, and telling it well, etc.). But I maintain that Miller probably felt the same way about Stilt Man as Bendis felt about Leap Frog.

And, you know what. I have no problem with that. He's a corny character. Plenty of characters are capable of being redeemed and updated, but others are best left buried in the past. We're not in the silver age anymore. We have to acknowledge that. It's still possible to go back and read and enjoy those comics without having to sacrifice modern reader sensibilities by doing the same things today.

Well I think Leap-Frog got more respect then Bendis then Miller gave Stilt-Man. Sure Leap-Frog was still a loser, but a more realistic loser then a comedic one, he may be no threat to DD, but he is a threat to his wife and son, I think that reflects how some people may not a danger to society, but can be a danger to their own family. Miller had Silt-Man getting beaten up by Turk, he is a comedic loser that is not threat to anyone.

However the Leap-Frog Bendis used is not the same guy as the Silver Age one (who retired a long time ago and is actually a good father), so I wouldn't consider the Bendis Leap-Frog in any way related to the Silver Age Leap-Frog.

I think if a writer took the better Silver Age villains and the better Nocenti villains, as well as the Miller villains and have them interact with each other on a regular basis and play off each other, DD could have a pretty good rogues gallery.
beneverett
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and agree with your point in regards to how Bendis used Leap-Frog, and you are right in pointing out that this was not the original Silver Age character but a second person using the moniker. I suppose in retrospect Bendis was doing what I think is a good thing with characters like that, only it might not have appealed to me in the way that, let's say, Waid did. Which is fair enough, I understand that everyone can't be pleased all of the time. I suppose my point of contention was in the idea that even if Bendis wasn't telling that particular story, he still would have thought that a frog themed super villain wasn't worth any consideration beyond that of being an object for ridicule and that Waid took that concept as a challenge, like "how can I make this work?" As for the Mandrill, I can see your point in regards to redundancy, at least as far as powers are concerned. But again, this is where context comes into play. Take the Green Goblin and the Hobgoblin for example, in terms of powers and abilities they're more-or-less identical. What really separates them is the fact that they both want different things, or want to get things in different ways. Another example could be Harry Potter and Gandalf. Both are wizards, both fight for good, but both are still different and go about their tasks in unique ways. If a writer chose to emphasize the Purple Man's sociopathy in one story, and the Mandrill's violent misogyny in another, they could end up using a pair of similar characters in two very distinct ways. As for Mr. Fear, I would see him using - well fear to get what he really wanted. The attractant pheromone would just be an additional means to an end. I see him making the other Mr. Fear (his nephew, Alan Fagan, who also has an attractant drug as well. Fagan's daughter was also a fear based baddie at one point called Shock, and then there's Calavera from DD Reborn - but I'm getting carried away) or any fear based villain who tangles with DD pretty redundant. But again, it really varies. I think that we are in agreement in suggesting that there can be a place for most of these various concepts and characters regardless of when or where they were introduced, it really depends on how they are handled within the framework of the story.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beneverett wrote:
I understand and agree with your point in regards to how Bendis used Leap-Frog, and you are right in pointing out that this was not the original Silver Age character but a second person using the moniker. I suppose in retrospect Bendis was doing what I think is a good thing with characters like that, only it might not have appealed to me in the way that, let's say, Waid did. Which is fair enough, I understand that everyone can't be pleased all of the time. I suppose my point of contention was in the idea that even if Bendis wasn't telling that particular story, he still would have thought that a frog themed super villain wasn't worth any consideration beyond that of being an object for ridicule and that Waid took that concept as a challenge, like "how can I make this work?" As for the Mandrill, I can see your point in regards to redundancy, at least as far as powers are concerned. But again, this is where context comes into play. Take the Green Goblin and the Hobgoblin for example, in terms of powers and abilities they're more-or-less identical. What really separates them is the fact that they both want different things, or want to get things in different ways. Another example could be Harry Potter and Gandalf. Both are wizards, both fight for good, but both are still different and go about their tasks in unique ways. If a writer chose to emphasize the Purple Man's sociopathy in one story, and the Mandrill's violent misogyny in another, they could end up using a pair of similar characters in two very distinct ways. As for Mr. Fear, I would see him using - well fear to get what he really wanted. The attractant pheromone would just be an additional means to an end. I see him making the other Mr. Fear (his nephew, Alan Fagan, who also has an attractant drug as well. Fagan's daughter was also a fear based baddie at one point called Shock, and then there's Calavera from DD Reborn - but I'm getting carried away) or any fear based villain who tangles with DD pretty redundant. But again, it really varies. I think that we are in agreement in suggesting that there can be a place for most of these various concepts and characters regardless of when or where they were introduced, it really depends on how they are handled within the framework of the story.

But thing is though, its not like Bendis' new Leap-Frog was a super compelling bad guy that could be the center piece of several arcs, he was a one shot bad guy who brought attention to an important issue and then died. Also Waid gave Leap-Frog some battle mech, but I'm not sure he has made Leap-Frog a compelling character at this point, I don't see why this third Leap-Frog isn't just a plot device at this point.

I also see a lot violent misogyny in Purple Man's psychopathic actions, his actions in Alias seemed both psychopathic and misogynistic, those two things are not mutually exclusive. The thing that makes Purple Man scarier then Mandarill, is Purple Man is both misogynist and a general psychopath murderer, his crimes easily over shadow anything Mandrill has done. Plus Hobgoblin was set up as a successor to Green Goblin and was really derailed as a character when Norman Osborn returned. Harry Potter and Gandalf don't exist in the same universe, so they do not fill the same role in the same story (their age and personality also make them quite). I think an updated Mandrill would just be another mind controlling rapist and DD already has two villains that fit that role.

Cranston actually does make his nephew redundant, he is full fledged psychopath, while Fagan is treated like a loser. Cranston has done more to hurt DD then any other fear based villain has. Regardless of how you frame it, Cranston is a mind controlling rapist, making Mandrill even more redundant. Purple Man and Mr. Fear have better track records then Mandrill. Put Mandrill in another hero's rogues gallery (like Shana the She-Devil) where he fill a niche that isn't being filled, instead of trying to do same thing as two more developed and threatening villains.

So while I would agree that that often there are no bad characters, only bad writers, characters like Stilt-Man are far harder to take seriously then say the Owl. Sometimes a concept doesn't work.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've all just pretty much hit the nail on the head. Even now, Daredevil's rouges gallery is pretty bad. Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand. These are his best villains and always provide the best stories. To a lesser extent, Owl, Mr Fear, Typhoid and Killgrave who have so much potential but are often wasted.

I agree, the characters that Nocenti introduced were awesome. Bushwacker, Bullet, etc...for some odd reason, no other writer has really put these guys at the forefront where they could be put to really good use.

And what about Micah Synn or Madcap? There is so much more Marvel could do to improve DD's rogues galley but they just won't. I know Waid has been playing around with it which is interesting but I can't help but feel that the next writer will quickly go back to the Hand.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-n-Bone wrote:
I think you've all just pretty much hit the nail on the head. Even now, Daredevil's rouges gallery is pretty bad. Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand. These are his best villains and always provide the best stories. To a lesser extent, Owl, Mr Fear, Typhoid and Killgrave who have so much potential but are often wasted.

I agree, the characters that Nocenti introduced were awesome. Bushwacker, Bullet, etc...for some odd reason, no other writer has really put these guys at the forefront where they could be put to really good use.

And what about Micah Synn or Madcap? There is so much more Marvel could do to improve DD's rogues galley but they just won't. I know Waid has been playing around with it which is interesting but I can't help but feel that the next writer will quickly go back to the Hand.

Well Flash's rogues gallery was often considered goofy, but Geoff Johns seemed to made them into a very compelling rogues gallery when he wrote them. But Johns had no problem killing off villains who simply do not work, not every villain can be

I think its all about taking the villains that have potential, both from the Silver Age and Nocenti eras and either forgetting about or totally revamping some of the lesser villains. It would take a miracle to make Stilt-Man into a threatening and compelling character. The Wildboys seemed like villains who were not even close to being in Daredevil's league, but they might be more trouble if they were entire street gang, rather then just two guys. Though I think I am more interested in Synn as a cult leader then another would be crime boss, I think DD vs. a cult is more unique story, then DD vs. another crime boss.

Like I said, having these villains interact with each other more would be useful, they can team up or fight against each other. It would have been nice to see some of the villains discuss DD's unmasking when he was outed by the Daily Globe.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-n-Bone wrote:

Another character that seems to be toxic (speaking of Denny O'Neil characters) is The Gael. I get that they don't want to touch that controversy with a ten foot pole, but he was pretty cool (he actually pulled a Hannibal Lecter escape before Hannibal did). Micah Synn had some cheesiness, but he actually was a really compelling villain before he became lazy and fat. To me, the Kingpin is someone slow and calculating, which makes him a nice contrast to Daredevil, who seems more willing to just throw himself in harm's way impulsively. Micah seemed to act similar to Daredevil, he was cunning and strong, but quicker to act. He came off as a capable foe.

But I'd love to see Bullet again. What with Doomsday Preppers, even Lance (a product of the Cold War) wouldn't seem entirely out of place. Bushwhacker just seems like an easy villain to stick into a story. He's just a mercenary for hire. I'm surprised no one wants to tackle him.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Ash-n-Bone wrote:

Another character that seems to be toxic (speaking of Denny O'Neil characters) is The Gael. I get that they don't want to touch that controversy with a ten foot pole, but he was pretty cool (he actually pulled a Hannibal Lecter escape before Hannibal did). Micah Synn had some cheesiness, but he actually was a really compelling villain before he became lazy and fat. To me, the Kingpin is someone slow and calculating, which makes him a nice contrast to Daredevil, who seems more willing to just throw himself in harm's way impulsively. Micah seemed to act similar to Daredevil, he was cunning and strong, but quicker to act. He came off as a capable foe.

But I'd love to see Bullet again. What with Doomsday Preppers, even Lance (a product of the Cold War) wouldn't seem entirely out of place. Bushwhacker just seems like an easy villain to stick into a story. He's just a mercenary for hire. I'm surprised no one wants to tackle him.

I still think Synn would work better and fill a niche as a creepy cult leader, rather a descendant would be crime boss. I really think DD vs. a somewhat realistic cult that convinces somewhat normal people to join is an interesting story. Sure the Hand is a cult of sorts, but they are 700 years old organisation that worships an ancient demon, I'm not sure how normal people are members of the Hand.

As for Bushwacker, I always liked the fact that he was a religious fundamentalist and used religion as a justification for his actions. Take that away and he is just a Bullseye clone. It seems like not enough writers focus on the more nuanced Bushwacker, rather then making him another evil violent psychopath. Its also a shame he got unceremoniously got killed off in a Wolverine story, recently.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also had a gun for a hand. That makes him a bit different from Bullseye. I don't recall any religious connotations with the character, but it's been awhile. What do you remember specifically?

It's a shame he was killed off by Wolverine (although I will point out his first appearance also involved Wolverine, so it's fitting to keep the mutant connection). Then again, it's Marvel. Wolverine's dead too right now. Hopefully, they'll both come back.

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the doublepost.

I have to say, as much as I know it wouldn't work, I sometimes miss things like this from the Silver Age. Very Happy

Also, I knew the time period is sometimes referred to as the Marvel Age of comics, but I had no idea Marvel referred to it themselves at the time they were creating those comics. Shocked

admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm split on the concept of silver age elements in modern comics, sometimes it is done well in a way that makes sense, or provides some nice comedic value(like Stiltman's appearance in Miller's run). Other times it brings back things that really should have been left in the past.

Bendis' treatment of Leapfrog has been mentioned several times in this thread. I personally thought Bendis used him superbly, he took a goofball villain, but used him in a way that showed the true darkside that even goofball characters like that can have. In a sense it really makes sense that losers like that would be abusive with their children. So even though he used a silver age element like Leapfrog, the use of the character worked with in the context of modern storytelling, and to some degree gave further credence to some of the silver age elements from the DD's past.

Also, considering the recent discussions of Mr Fear, I think it's about time for him to come back. He still has a lot to answer for, considering what he did in Brubaker's run. Although I think we will probably have to wait til after Waid's run is complete to see that come to fruition, doesn't seem like something that Waid would be interested in touching(even though it was nice to see him point out how guilty Matt still feels over Milla).
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression that Waid is starting to move Daredevil slightly darker with the Killgrave storyline (although I'm not caught up so I'm avoiding the details). I like the idea of pushing the paradigm slightly lighter than the Bendis/Brubaker era. Frank Miller took Daredevil to dark places, but he always insisted every time when asked that those moments had to pass. If the guy is always in a dark place, you don't feel how dark it is. Somewhere between Waid and what we're used to is probably best. When we reach that darker point, Mr. Fear can return.

Regarding Bendis and Leap Frog. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was bad what he did. I'm just saying it certainly wasn't Silver Age.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: