Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #10 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #10?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #10 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #10 by Waid, Samnee and Wilson ships November 19th, and here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V4-010

Please use this thread for all discussion on the issue.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just great. In a single stroke, we went from "when I wasn't writing, DD was depressing" to "when I wasn't writing, DD was depressed".

Oh, and by the way I predict he'll get back to be "happy-go-lucky crack jokes with girlfriend and best friend"-DD by the end of the storyarc.
WilsonFisk
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really loving this preview. Even out of the context of the rest of this issue, these few pages make a great vignette on depression and the power it can hold over people.

There's a compelling argument to make, looking over his history, that Matt Murdock is a character who suffers from depression in one form or another. And Mark Waid and the artists working with him, despite a clear goal of shifting the overall tone of the series, have done strong work in keeping Daredevil's character consistent, making it seem like it's the same person in a different phase of his life. And a big part of that has actually been the depiction of Matt as someone who struggles with depression, something Waid has been candid about in interviews. And it's a progressive, nuanced depiction of mental illness, as it makes it clear that it doesn't mean you never smile or you're never allowed happiness or the comfort of loved ones. But it is always there, and I like how this arc seems to be bringing to a head the notion that has been running through Waid's run that it may not be healthy to just say "I'm going to be happy now" and bury your past traumas without directly addressing them.

Really looking forward to this on Wednesday. Waid and Samnee are killing it with this series, month in month out.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "Purple Children" story has been the highlight of Volume 4 for me.

I find Waid's description of Matt's depression very poignant. Very powerful stuff.

The fight in the arcade was confusing in places. Given the way it was written, I don't know how Matt was able to recover from one of Killgrave's commands the way he did. Also, the way he finally beat Killgrave makes sense that it would help the police, yes, but wouldn't it also make Matt incapable of helping as well? Perhaps it would only make it difficult. I don't know. It could have been better, but as it was, it was okay.

I've written about my difficulties with Kirsten throughout Volume 4 before (and it mostly has to do with her treatment of Foggy), but she was very strong on the final page of this issue. And since the next issue seems to be Foggy-centric, I'm looking forward to it, and am hoping it deals with some of my previously-stated objections.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, IIRC, Matt has always been able to resist Kilgrave's commands to a point. It's not that he's immune, but that Kilgrave really has to work at it (and Matt is usually able to take him down before he succeeds). So I can see this as Kilgrave is finding it easier this time, but Matt is still able to resist. Not as well as usual, but enough.

Matt does mention he'll have a migraine after that stunt with the music, so it is addressed.

Very strong issue. And loved the last page. And the first page. And the in-between pages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: