Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

The End Of Waid's Run Is Upon Us
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny_Anonymous
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: The End Of Waid's Run Is Upon Us Reply with quote

Quote:
DAREDEVIL #13
MARK WAID (W) • CHRIS SAMNEE (A/C)
VARIANT COVER BY PHIL NOTO
THE END BEGINS HERE!
• Mark Waid and Chis Samnee begin the climactic final chapter of their beloved, Eisner Award Winning run with the return of one of Matt Murdock’s oldest and (now) scariest enemies.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

So the end of Waid and Samnee's run has arrived. Who will take over? What direction will it go? Is this all a trick like the last time they said this? These are all the questions I have.
beneverett
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know myself, hopefully we will learn a little more in the coming days. If it is true, I'm very sad to see it end. Waid's run has had some very nasty things said about it on some of the boards, but I believe it's been marvelous (I think Matt publicly outing his secret ID was one of the bravest and best things that has happened to the book in a long time - I hope it isn't retconed later) and I'm keen on seeing what the future holds for DD. I am a bit wary of Marvel immediately shifting the book's tone to be more in line with the upcoming Netflix series; if that is their decision a gradual transition may work better. Although I wouldn't necessarily give the book up, I would really be very disappointed if the next team chooses to ignore this run in an effort to restore the status quo instead of actually building on it. But if this long rumored "Marvel reboot" thing actually happens, then I'm through.

Last edited by beneverett on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good riddance !It's the most overrated Daredevil run ever!It really tested me as a Daredevil fan!I will not be missing this one bit.I'm sure Marvel won't be pulling the silly stunt they did last time.We'll most likely get a tone to match the tv series.This announcement was the best Daredevil news since the announcement of the Netflix series.But then again anything is possible.
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
Good riddance !

Hallelujah! Strike up the band!

Daredevil24 wrote:
This announcement was the best Daredevil news since the announcement of the Netflix series.

The only way to top it would be to announce that the entire run will be ignored or erased.
WilsonFisk
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a sad day indeed that this run is ending. Yes, I know there are people on this board that will be overjoyed. First coming across this board was kind of fascinating, as it is literally the only collection of people anywhere - be it in real life, on social media, or on internet message boards, anywhere - where I've found anyone who doesn't love Mark Waid's Daredevil run. But really, I think a lot of these people are going to be disappointed if they think that this run is now going to be erased like a bad mistake. That would make no sense, given how the vast, vast majority of readers are absolutely in love with this run, and it has been highly successful. Yes, I see more of a move back towards a grittier crime aesthetic to put it in line with the TV show, but I don't see that as necessarily retconning Waid's run, which kept the core values of Daredevil as a character remarkably consistent, but just took the character in a different tonal direction.

And that's what's great about Daredevil as a character. He's diverse enough to work in a wide range of stories. There's no one way that the comic has to be, and people couldn't just keep giving us echoes of Bendis forever, the way people had been doing echoes of Miller for long after his run. I've said that Morrison's divisive Batman run will be vindicated by history, with people years from now recognising it as a classic even though many during the time of the actual run couldn't get past it being so different from what they'd typically expect from a Batman story. I'd say the same applies to Daredevil, but really it has much less of an uphill battle as most people already recognise its greatness.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waid's run has been widely praised (except here, it seems) and I think he did a good thing reminding people that Daredevil doesn't have to be overwhelmingly depressing. One thing I disliked about Bendis's run (besides how it takes frickin' forever to get to anything happening) is that things spiraled downhill very quickly for Matt even in a situation nowhere near as extreme as what he went through in Born Again (he acknowledged it at the beginning that he was becoming a bit unraveled, but that was about it).

I think everyone (or almost everyone) is in agreement that Frank Miller is the model for Daredevil that everyone follows after. But I do think a lot of people forget that Miller's Daredevil was nowhere near that dark. I'll applaud Mark Waid for reminding everyone that Daredevil can be a bit lighter too. I hope they'll push the tone darker now, but remember that they don't have to push it over a cliff either.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Jonny_Anonymous
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am so happy Waid's run has come to an end. There is only so much directionless Spider-Man-light stories I can take.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mark Waid has proven himself to be one of my favourite Daredevil writers. I found Volume 3 to be fantastic. The quality has dipped in Volume 4, so I'm not that surprised he's leaving. He's been writing the book for a long time now.

I'd love to see what Nathan Edmondson would do with Daredevil. His Black Widow book is one of my favourite current series.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel somewhat sad that Waid is leaving, even though I wasn't satisfied with the tone of his run.
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny_Anonymous wrote:
I for one am so happy Waid's run has come to an end. There is only so much directionless Spider-Man-light stories I can take.

Preach it, brother. Waid has been a cancer on this book, just as he's a cancer on most established books he's hired to write. The damage he's wrought on DD isn't as extensive as, for example, what he did to Dr. Doom, but it will still have to be erased in some ridiculous manner if we're ever again to have a DD that in any way resembles DD.
WilsonFisk
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jriddle wrote:
Preach it, brother. Waid has been a cancer on this book, just as he's a cancer on most established books he's hired to write. The damage he's wrought on DD isn't as extensive as, for example, what he did to Dr. Doom, but it will still have to be erased in some ridiculous manner if we're ever again to have a DD that in any way resembles DD.

Umm... yes. Mark Waid is a cancer on Daredevil, if you define "cancer" as something that IMPROVES someone's condition and makes them the healthiest they've been in years. Many were viewing the Daredevil well as poisoned after "Shadowland," and the arrival of Mark Waid not only restored credibility to a damaged brand, but pushed the book and the character to heights not reached for many years in terms of critical acclaim and reader popularity.

You can say you don't like Waid's run all you want. That's your opinion and you have the right to it, as strange and contrarian an opinion as that may be. But arguing that Waid's run has caused damage to the character and somehow hurt the book's standing is just objectively, verifiably wrong, and you can't really argue as such out of La-La Cuckoo Fantasy Land.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of hyperbole being thrown around by people happy about Waid leaving and those disappointed.

Waid's run has been mostly good, but with more than a few instances of cheesy humor, out of character moments, and ignoring obvious and established repercussions for character actions. I've enjoyed it overall, but we've had four years of Waid. Its past time for someone else.

Waid's run is not a cancer, nor is it perfect. It has been critically acclaimed yes, but Bendis and Brubaker won Eisners for their runs too. Its not as if Waid brought DD back from some longstanding lull. It was just the end of Diggle's run where it all fell apart. In fact if you look at sales data, Daredevil has been trending downward in sales for a while. The only spikes have been for anniversary issues and the new #1. So Waid certainly has not returned Daredevil to any new heights of financial success.
Jonny_Anonymous
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WilsonFisk wrote:
jriddle wrote:

Umm... yes. Mark Waid is a cancer on Daredevil, if you define "cancer" as something that IMPROVES someone's condition and makes them the healthiest they've been in years. Many were viewing the Daredevil well as poisoned after "Shadowland," and the arrival of Mark Waid not only restored credibility to a damaged brand, but pushed the book and the character to heights not reached for many years in terms of critical acclaim and reader popularity.

You can say you don't like Waid's run all you want. That's your opinion and you have the right to it, as strange and contrarian an opinion as that may be. But arguing that Waid's run has caused damage to the character and somehow hurt the book's standing is just objectively, verifiably wrong, and you can't really argue as such out of La-La Cuckoo Fantasy Land.

Right and if Waid's run is soooo good why is it selling lower than any Daredevil run has done in decades? Also of course it's done damage! Apart from the suit DD is almost NOTHING like the character he was at before Waid decided to turn him in to "Blind Spider-Man".
WilsonFisk
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny_Anonymous wrote:
Right and if Waid's run is soooo good why is it selling lower than any Daredevil run has done in decades? Also of course it's done damage! Apart from the suit DD is almost NOTHING like the character he was at before Waid decided to turn him in to "Blind Spider-Man".

Have you got figures to show that the book is selling lower than any Daredevil run in decades? You could argue that everything is selling lower now than it was in 80s/90s boom periods, but I'd like to see what specific figures you're drawing from when talking about Daredevil sales collapsing into oblivion to the worst they've been in decades upon decades. I just find that a bit hard to believe, as Marvel are known to be mercenary when cutting books that don't sell. Until you produce those numbers, I shall have to rely on the multiple Eisner award wins and nominations, the numerous other awards the book and its creators have received, the countless year-end "best of" lists and raving critical reviews the book has enjoyed, and the vocal comics fanbase filled with nothing but praise for the title as evidence of it being "soooooo good."

And the character is absolutely consistent with Daredevil. It's the same Matt Murdock, but put in a new situation and attempting a different outlook on life. People think that it's only Matt Murdock if he's always crying and miserable and on the verge of complete mental collapse, but even the people with the most difficult lives are allowed to smile on occasion, and even people in the grip of deepest depression have good days where they can laugh with a friend in a stolen happy moment. That's not a betrayal of the character. It's a presentation of Matt Murdock as a human being with varied emotions, who can go through different stages in his life, while still acknowledging and respecting the continuity established by multiple past creators.

I also think the notion of the book being all light and puffy and carefree and of Matt Murdock just being another Spider-Man seem to be built more on kneejerk angry skim-reads than actually reading the book. Because DAREDEVIL under Mark Waid has gone to some pretty dark places.

I think some comic fans have this pathological approach to their favourite heroes where they have one story or creative run that's their favourite, and the ONLY way to make them happy is to just have all future creators just repeat that run over and over and tell the exact same story over and over and over again. They don't want a creator who'll do something new or fresh, just a caretaker who'll keep the comforting status quo chugging along. I for one can love Miller's Daredevil, and Bendis' Daredevil, and Brubaker's Daredevil, AND Waid's Daredevil, and recognise that they're all different, but all have their strengths, and them being so different in tone doesn't mean that one got it "wrong," but rather it's a celebration that the Daredevil character is strong enough to support such diverse approaches.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"sales collapsing into oblivion to the worst they've been in decades upon decades."

More hyperbole. No one said sales had collapsed into oblivion, but they are down from the last decade. You don't have to go back to the booming 80s or 90s. The sales data is available on this very website. Bendis' run sold on average 50-60k a month. Brubaker's 40-50k a month, dipping down into the high 30s at the end. Diggle's and Waid's have sold around 35-40k each month, again with spikes for anniversary/specials and new #1s. If you wanna argue that the comic industry as a whole is suffering and trending downward, thats a fair point, but Waid has not increased sales overall. He absolutely has critical acclaim for his run, but he hasn't made it some great financial success.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: