Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: The Man Without Fear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admiralpetty wrote:
Miller's writing is excellent in this issue(as it has always been on DD). I love how he fleshes out Matt's back story. The additional details, like Jack working as an enforcer, really add even more emotional depth to what was already an excellent and tragic origin.

This is a question I'd like to ask everyone else. Jack working for the Fixer was changed to add a lot of shades of gray when it came to his extracurricular activities. I thought it worked well. On the other hand, there was also a little less free will in his choice. He was explicitly told that, if he didn't do this, he would not only be killed but he'd lose his son as well. I wonder if that is washing his hands of it a bit too much. While he might feel like dirt, it's hard to question someone acting whose son would otherwise be killed.

Quote:
My one minor criticism is the portrayal of why Matt decides to become a lawyer, just seems a little odd, but the scene of his father hitting him is very powerful and effective nonetheless.

This was something that was previously shown in Daredevil 191 (Revolver - the one where Daredevil and Bullseye are playing Russian Roulette). Frank Miller's explanation for why he added it was pretty good. This is from an interview by Peter Sanderson back in 1981 with Miller and Klaus Janson:

Quote:

PS: If Daredevil is a man who has this Christian attitude of loving his enemies, and caring more about the victim than getting revenge on the criminal, how is it he turned out this way? What motivates him? Because you'd think that with his father having been killed by criminals, he'd turn out like Batman, and that he's turn into a prosecutor. It seems to e that you have to make an active effort to like people who are trying to kill you, and as for the part about caring more about the victim, might this possibly have something to do with the fact that Daredevil sees himself, at least on some levels, as a victim?
FM: Undoubtedly. I set myself a little writing assignment that was originally designed to fill up the back two pages in an issue of Daredevil. The project got too intense, so I decided to fill it with Daredevil by Ben Urich and I found that as I wrote it the character just started talking and Urich was asking Daredevil why he did what he did and Daredevil started equivocating. Finally Ben pinned him down and Daredevil confessed that the reason he is Daredevil is because he is scared, that what happened to his father represented a horrible violation to him of everything that was good and the idea that the bad guys could win terrified him and that it still terrifies him and so he stops it. It only sounds paradoxical that a man without fear would be motivated by fear. He's beating it back and defeating it.

The reason he became a lawyer is the knotty question. His father said "Don't be like me. Become a doctor or a lawyer or somebody," and I don't think that's enough to justify him. I mean it's got to relate more to the basic theme of the character. In order to illustrate this, I wrote a scene that won't be used for a number of issues. What happened was that as a boy, Matt Murdock got into a fight, he was pushed too far and came home with his face smashed up, but he did pretty well for himself. His father, whose career was bottoming out, exploded and hit him and Matt ran away and spent the night on the Brooklyn Bridge thinking about how he couldn't stand it. How even his most trusted, the man he loved most in the world could do this to him, it wasn't right that people could go around unchecked, that people needed rules, laws, and so he chose the lawyer course rather than the other...

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Foggy's Pal
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much echo everyone's comments here about the story and art. Yes, that double page spread of Stick and Matt running over the roof tops is gorgeous. I am not a big fan of current Romita art in regards to his faces and figures, but he is amazing with his movement. He knows how to get great movement out of his panels. For me, this is his best work.
The thing that stood out for me was the exposition. It's interesting that we read this after Mack. Mack's exposition is metaphorical, cerebral, and poetic while Miller is matter of fact. Two very different, but effective approaches. I love Stick. it's makes sense that Matt would have a mentor to become what he becomes; the mystery about Stick is a cool layer to the story. Issue #1, like most of Miller DD, is fantastic.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned it briefly, but it was nice seeing a third person narrator again. That's a comic book trope that has gone away, mostly due to the work of Frank Miller. Obviously, there's no thought bubbles, though, Miller makes the narrator omniscient to tell Matt's thoughts. The narrator does move things at a brisk pace and is very matter of fact. But I think it helps the story and keeps it moving. Like I said, there is a lot to squeeze into each issue.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read this in quite a while, and never one issue at a time.

I forgot that Miller still possessed greatness at this point in the 90s. Today, Miller has turned himself into a punchline, but in 1993 he was still one of the best writers working in the medium. Matt Murdock always brought the best out of him.

Much of what has been discussed so far on this thread are issues Miller introduced in his initial run on Daredevil (158-191): Matt's decision to study law, Stick.... In this first issue, Miller hasn't decided to deal with anything too differently... yet. Stick is still a very harsh teacher. As for Matt's decision to study law, I never had a problem with it. I'm actually surprised anyone does have a problem with it. It's kind of how many kid's minds work. They'll forgive their father, especially if it's an isolated incident, but it will change how they look at everything.

And yes, this is, by far, the best work I have ever seen from John Romita Jr. I don't really enjoy his more recent art, but here he has clearly invested effort.

My one quibble with this issue is Maggie's visit. I suppose Matt could have told her about his senses, but what would be her motivation for telling him to keep them a secret, especially from Jack? That didn't make any sense to me.

Overall, this issue was great. 4.5 out of 5.

After this, well, it's the 1990s, so we get some craziness.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple points:

1. Whoever said that Kevin Smith was responsible for confirming the fact that Maggie was Matt's mom was wrong. Clearly, Miller does it here.

2. I love the fact that Miller uses the exact same dialogue in the hospital scene that he did in Born Again. I don't know why I think that's so cool. Maybe it's because it makes it feel like an actual event that really happened. Really cool.

3. I have always considered Man Without Fear to be Miller Daredevil Canon. Sort of like his Batman (Year One, Dark Knight, Dark Knight Strikes Again, All-Star Batman). It's sort of a mini-canon within the broader canon. Of course, it's sort of funny because even Miller's DD isn't super consistent. Elektra in MWF is definitely mentally ill in a way that she isn't in his initial run. But then she is pretty bonkers in Elektra Assassin but seems to be bonkers in a different way. In any case what is and isn't canon is completely made up anyway so it doesn't really matter.

4. The Daredevil/Deadpool annual is an abomination.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
This is a question I'd like to ask everyone else. Jack working for the Fixer was changed to add a lot of shades of gray when it came to his extracurricular activities. I thought it worked well. On the other hand, there was also a little less free will in his choice. He was explicitly told that, if he didn't do this, he would not only be killed but he'd lose his son as well. I wonder if that is washing his hands of it a bit too much. While he might feel like dirt, it's hard to question someone acting whose son would otherwise be killed.

I think the dire situation that Jack was in was heightened by the change, although I loved the scene in Miller's original retelling where he has to sign the contract while the Fixer stands on it, really effectively showed how dehumanizing the experience was for Jack. Overall I prefer this version the most though.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Just a couple points:

1. Whoever said that Kevin Smith was responsible for confirming the fact that Maggie was Matt's mom was wrong. Clearly, Miller does it here.

It was me who said that. And he didn't technically do that. He refers to Maggie earlier without saying who she is and shows a Nun who is referred to as "the stranger." I think it's clear, but it was clear in Born Again. My point was that Guardian Devil is the first time that it was openly and explicitly acknowledged, not that it was a mystery.

Quote:
2. I love the fact that Miller uses the exact same dialogue in the hospital scene that he did in Born Again. I don't know why I think that's so cool. Maybe it's because it makes it feel like an actual event that really happened. Really cool.

Yeah, it does a really good job of bringing things together. It's the first event that's been alluded to but we've never seen (except maybe the training with Stick, can't remember). A long-time reader of Daredevil couldn't help but see it and get excited. With everything else, the story has been elaborated or retold, but we knew it was coming. It's the first time we see a scene only described previously but never shown. It's a nice touch.

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, next up:

The Man Without Fear - Issue 2

Due Jan. 17

For those following along in Graphic Novel form (as I am), this one begins with Matt at the morgue and ends with Matt's face on the left side of the panel with a falling woman on the right side. Hopefully I've made it clear in a spoiler-free way (although that's probably not necessary since I think everyone's read this story before).

Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! Man Without Fear is no longer up at Marvel Unlimited! Guess I'll have to buy it on Comixology...
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue reminding me of Miller's former greatness.

I liked Miller and Romita's choice to slow down the action when Matt punched Slade with the roll of pennies. Using three panels to show the one punch was a very innovative choice.

I loved the page showing Matt lying on his bed, trying to rationalize why he can't sleep. First he blames it on the TV, then he tries to blame it on Foggy's snoring.

I found it very interesting that the Chaste could only find two adepts born in that generation. If there were only two, and Elektra was deemed to be a lost cause, does it make any sense for Stick to give up on Matt after that night chasing down his father's killers? Giving up on Matt would basically be ceding victory to the Hand, right? But, I guess the narrative necessitates Stick disappearing from Matt's life -- at least for a while.

It was kind of odd for Matt to turn down that girl for the study date. I hardly think that a study date would involve the same level of emotion as fighting in a melee and accidentally knocking a woman through a window to her death. But maybe we're supposed to see how cautious Matt is around a "normal" girl.

Romita is better than ever in this issue. His depiction of Matt leaping around in the night is fantastic. I love the way he draws shoes.

One last quibble: When Matt puts the bat through the windshield of the car containing the Fixer, he causes the car to crash into the railing of a subway entrance. Matt should have been prepared for that happening, yet he is thrown from the car and his head strikes the pavement. I suppose I could chalk this up to Matt's inexperience at this point in his life, even though he has been trained by Stick as much as he was ever going to be, but I really would have expected Matt to jump from the car as opposed to being flung from it upon impact with the railing.

Overall, another great issue from Miller and Romita. I thought this issue was going to be crazier, but I think I was thinking of the next one.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to be in awe of Miller's pacing. Very tight narrative, little padding. Having read Batman Year One years before reading MWOF, I can see a couple of similarities: first night out the hero is in disguise, but not the costume we know. Thing go wrong... presence of a cat... hookers...

Loving the art, although it would be nice if the colorist had made Matt's hair redder. It's been reddish-blond and blond quite a bit but I note some panels where the red is nonexistent and Matt's more of a sandy-brown. Minor quibble, though.

4.5 stars from me.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's consistent with the color it was during Miller's run (both original and Born Again) and Noccenti's run with Romita. Honestly, I was confused with everyone insisting his hair was red because, for a long time, I was used to this color. However, I do agree that they didn't make the color entirely consistent from panel to panel, which is problematic in its own right.

My review:

Right away, this version is far more violent than versions in the past (although probably not as violent as today's comics). When I first read the story, it was a nice satisfying revenge for what just happened. However, starting the issue after a break with his response, I'm sensing a bit more ambiguity. He had two mentors in his life - Stick and his dad - and both of them clearly disapprove. Matt here isn't even really getting revenge for his dad's death, he's getting revenge for the schoolyard bullies as well. It's a release of violence that's built up for years. Although this dual identity is something that's always been played with, I don't think it's quite as clear as here. The biggest change is that it doesn't end with Fixer's accidental heart attack (a bit of a cop out in the original story but allows an eye for an eye). Instead, it ends with collateral damage. Miller is not glorifying violence here at all, even in a story that has traditionally allowed for it in pursuit of justice for his father's death.

The duality of stoic Matt vs. energetic emotional Daredevil continues to be expored when he goes to College (I'll note here and also point it out again that I think Frank Miller is the first person to finally realize that you have to go to college for four years and then law school for three in order to become a lawyer. Stan Lee just had him go to "state college" and that was it. He still studies law (probably more accurate as pre-law), which is fine but is also not really necessary). A girl tries to hit on him, but he avoids it in order to stay detached (fearing emotion could lead to a repeat of the situation with the dead woman). On the other hand, he first breaks his rule to help out Foggy (teaching someone a lesson). Then he goes jumping on the rooftops.

This story was my first introduction to Elektra. I have to say it is still my favorite version of their meeting (an improvement on the original story). There's something tantalizing about the chase between them that makes them seem like real equals. On the other hand, you see really early on that her recklessness is enough to make Matt break his composure (and possibly break his rules). Obviously, Miller makes this explicit. When he's tempted to fight off the cops (breaking those rules), he's reminded of the dead woman. Likewise, at the end, when Elektra jumps, he's again reminded of her. Still, this guilting that forces him to stay as good, stoic Matthew Murdock is arguably unnecessary. Instead, it should be the other figure lost to his past that is normally seen as holding him back - his dad. I wonder if this dead woman overshadows that a bit or if they complement each other and it's just a reminder of the same thing?

Good exploration of themes leading to a more cohesive story. I'll go Five Stars.

DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWOF issue 2 is another almost flawless treasure from Miller and Romita Jr. The only real problem I've ever seen in this story comes in the next issue, so obviously I'll wait on that.

As mentioned it is a little weird how Stick abandons Matt so easily if he and Elektra are so important, but I think that gets addressed well enough later, so again I'll wait until the later issues are being discussed.

I love how Miller makes Matt and Elektra's attraction so primal. He portrays Matt as a man constantly holding back "the fire" but his willpower just melts away when he catches Elektra's scent while leaping through the night. And Miller and Romita aren't subtle during their little cat and mouse chase with the constant references to her scent luring Matt along until we get to a panel of her panties hanging from a branch barely inches away from Matt's nose. Not subtle at all.

I love the panel of Matt shattering the knee of a man 3 times his size. One thing the movie got right was Matt going for the kneecaps on Kingpin.

As mentioned also Matt's changing hair color in this series. In the 90s his hair color was all over the map. The problem with the coloring here is that its all over the map in this series from page to page sometimes which can stand out, but is a minor quibble to me.
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another awesome issue. I would agree that the violence is really heightened in this story. What I like about that is that it obviously isn't done for gratuitous effect, but rather to show the pent up rage that is really coming to the fore with Matt. It makes sense to me that he would have these kind of issues with the frustration he had as a bullied kid(who really could have done more to defend himself) who has also lost the only family he had at that point. The three panels of him continually beating Slade, that whole scene really, shows us just how much anger he had been keeping in.

Additionally, I thought the scene of him getting knocked from the car was effective because of the sheer amount of rage that had overtaken Matt, it really had gone behind simple justice to the point of blind and furious vengeance(otherwise he would have easily hopped from the car before the crash). Of course this is followed by the tragic scene showing the dire consequences of such reckless violence, something that would no doubt shape the rest of Matt's career as a costumed vigilante. Also, as a side point, am I the only one who thought that Stone's silhouette in the scene with Stick looked quite a bit like Blanka from the Street Fighter games?

I also loved the college scenes and how they showed Matt's attempts to rein his dangerous side in, however its still clear how much he hates bullies(understandably so). The way he deals with Foggy's persecutor, while humorous, shows how much he not only enjoys putting bullies in their place, but humiliating them as well.

Of course the sequences with Elektra are strong as well, much more interesting than Miller's original telling of their first meeting in his first Daredevil run. It's understandable to see how Matt would be almost inexorably attracted to the danger that Elektra represents, the part of himself that he so desperately wants to let loose, free from the chains of society. Conversely this only seems to deepen the contradictions that Matt struggles with in his own personality, showcasing some of the things that make Daredevil such a fascinating character(and why such a person might be drawn to violent costumed vigilantism). Its no wonder that so many DD writers since Miller have incorporated more and more of this story into the main series' canon.

Of course the art is amazing as usual(in this series that is, not Romita Jr's whole career), you can really tell that Miller and Romita Jr were feeding off of each other during the writing of this story. I easily give this issue 5 out of 5 stars.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that being said, while I generally really like Romita's art, I don't like how Elektra is drawn (and I didn't like it the first time). She was drawn much better originally. It might be the crazy big hair that I don't like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: