Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Looks like the Marvel Universe Might be Rebooted Soon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Looks like the Marvel Universe Might be Rebooted Soon Reply with quote

Looks like the Marvel Universe might be rebooted soon:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58625

What do you think this will mean for Daredevil? Will stories like Born Again still be in canon? Will Karen Page come back because she is in the Netflix series?

I guess they can use this reboot to revamp DD's rogues gallery, maybe give some of the lesser villains new back stories or something, it worked well for Mr. Freeze in BTAS.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo Waid's circus and bring back Karen.That'll make me really happy.I do think Karen is coming back one way or another.She never appeared in the Ultimate universe so maybe her ultimate counterpart jumps sides?Born Again could still remain intact.
beneverett
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still unsure about this. I've talked before about how I don't like the idea of a reboot, or tweaking things so that they work more like the movies. Nevertheless, it is still happening whether anyone likes it or not. We'll just have to wait until May and see what what this whole thing really is. In reading about it, I must admit that there are some things that could happen that I might get behind, and they are saying that it's not a reboot. But it could "not be a reboot" the way that applesauce isn't an apple.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this press release from Marvel:

LAST DAYS
Marvel presents the First of Three New Series Banners For SECRET WARS!

New York, NY—January 21, 2015— The skies go dark and the world begins to fracture. Secret Wars is coming, and with it the destruction of the Marvel Universe as we know it. Today, Marvel is proud to announce LAST DAYS, the first of three different types of series taking place during the upcoming, highly anticipated Secret Wars!

“What would you do if you learned today was your last day on Earth?” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “That’s the question your favorite Marvel heroes are going to ask themselves in their LAST DAYS story lines as they brace for Secret Wars and the end of the Marvel Universe.”

Battleworld is set to transform the Marvel Universe as you know it. But before Secret Wars can begin, this chapter must come to a close. What will our heroes do with their final hours? What secrets will be unearthed? Who will they want to spend their LAST DAYS with?

“LAST DAYS is the first of three new brandings for series unique to Secret Wars,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Each branding will bear its own unique trade dress and logo treatment, clearly defining its relationship to the main Secret Wars story. This will make it easier for fans to experience the full scope of Secret Wars. Don’t dare miss these epic tales as our heroes face their impending obliteration!”

Before Secret Wars can begin, the Marvel Universe must end. And it all starts this May as the entire planet faces their LAST DAYS!
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just Crisis On Infinite Marvel Earths right? Am I missing something? It's insane that they're pushing this like it's some sort of fresh idea.

Ultimately (get it?) I just hope they bring Karen back. And Gloria! And make Mila not insane. Just bring all the love interests back. Crisis Of Multiple Dead Girlfriends!

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month ago Alonso said there would likely be a Defenders series based on the Netflix roster.I wonder if all the characters will have a fresh beginning?Maybe Matt meets Luke,Danny,and Jessica for the first time and they form a gritty street level team.I'd like to see how'd they grow together.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
Undo Waid's circus and bring back Karen.That'll make me really happy.I do think Karen is coming back one way or another.She never appeared in the Ultimate universe so maybe her ultimate counterpart jumps sides?Born Again could still remain intact.

Uh, that doesn't mean undo Waid; it means undo Waid, Brubaker, Bendis, Mack, and Smith. Are there people who dislike both Waid and Bendis?

I'm skeptical of this proposal. I hope it isn't as much a reboot as reports indicate. Even a single reboot (i.e., One More Day), was handled poorly. I can't imagine trying to do everything at once without serious difficulties.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no secret that I'm not a fan on Waid's series but I think both his and Bendis's run may have to retcon to a degree.I wan't Matt to have a secret identity back and less of a chatty personality.If Marvel is gonna go with the route of the show then I see a return for Karen Page and a new and fresh beginning for our hero.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long been in favor of a reboot for Marvel. I love Bendis and Brubaker's runs, and mostly really like Waid's, and I have no problem with them being wiped away for a new fresh start of some sort. Now I don't think Marvel will totally throw out everything. It will likely be similar to what DC did.

Some of my predictions (not necessarily what I'm hoping) for Marvel's "reboot":
Most of the last 25 years of stories never happened.
Older iconic stories still stand. (Born Again, Dark Phoenix, Demon in a Bottle)

Daredevil - Secret identity restored except for Fisk, Karen Page alive, back in Hell's Kitchen, never married
Spiderman - Gwen Stacy alive, never any clones, younger
X-Men - Wolverine alive, Jean alive, Xavier alive, Psylocke was always asian, "Original 5" are no longer the original 5
Iron Man - will basically stay "superior" but not as villainous
Nick Fury - was always black, no son
Black Widow - no longer old or tied to WW2
Captain America - basically the same, but more recently "defrosted" so they can really play up the "man out of time".
Bucky - back to being somewhat brainwashed and dangerous.
Avengers - same cast as movie obviously, Civil War never happened so they can rehash it when the movies do it.
Any character that can be made Inhuman (i.e. Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch) will be.
FF - exist but won't appear until the fallout from movie.
Carol Danvers was never Binary or any of that. Rogue never had her powers.
Punisher - Iraq war vet, not as old
Miles Morales and Kamala Khan go to same school that Parker does/did.
Taskmaster
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner - i believe those are all incredibly prescient predictions.

I hated this when I found out, but almost immediately I realized it's just Crisis and I love post-Crisis (pre-52) so it's not necessarily a bad thing. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:

Daredevil - Secret identity restored except for Fisk, Karen Page alive, back in Hell's Kitchen, never married

That would be great!

RGdesigner wrote:

X-Men - Wolverine alive, Jean alive, Xavier alive, Psylocke was always asian, "Original 5" are no longer the original 5

That would suck.

It's weird that I have those reactions but I think it's because, to me, Daredevil is a basic concept with which writers can do their own thing while the story of the X-Men is about the story of the X-Men. Daredevil's kinda like Batman. There's a compelling premise to start from and it's cool to see different writers have different takes. On the other hand, central to the whole concept for the X-Men is that it's a soap opera. The continuity is part of the fun. "Psylocke wasn't always and asian ninja? she was British? she's Captain Britain's sister? Siege Perilous? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THAT ALL SOUNDS INSANE AND COOL". It would be a shame to lose all that.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?

Last edited by james castle on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be a shame to lose all that.

I absolutely agree, but I bet marvel is gonna streamline any "over complicated" characters like Psylocke or Ms. Marvel.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another press release today:

BATTLEWORLD
Marvel Presents the Second of Three New Series Banners For SECRET WARS!

New York, NY—January 22, 2015— The Marvel Universe has been destroyed! One by one, each and every universe across the cosmos has been eliminated. All that exists is a new, patchwork planet made up of the remains of decimated universes. Today, Marvel is proud to announce BATTLEWORLD, which joins LAST DAYS as two of the three unique umbrella brands of titles launching during Secret Wars!

“If you want the full story of what’s happening across the surface of this new planet, BATTLEWORLD branded titles are for you,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “Who polices Battleworld? How do the various domains interact? What happens when those domains go to war? What strange, never-before-seen creatures inhabit this world? What familiar faces will make appearances? Fans who want to fully understand how each sector interacts with the others can’t miss out on these books!”

Titles carrying the BATTLEWORLD banner will focus on the interworking and interaction of all the domains now fused together throughout the one and only remaining planet! The Secret Wars are waged as the last remaining fragments of dead universes fight for survival. Who rules these domains? Who comes out on top? Who lives? Who dies?

“The inner machinations of Secret Wars happen here,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “BATTLEWORLD branded titles will be clearly marked through the Marvel Previews solicits as well as with well distinguished cover trade dress, this way both retailers and fans will know what they’re getting. Think of these as the new core monthly titles. “

What secrets are about to be revealed? Find out this may as Secret Wars enters BATTLEWORLD!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
I've long been in favor of a reboot for Marvel. I love Bendis and Brubaker's runs, and mostly really like Waid's, and I have no problem with them being wiped away for a new fresh start of some sort. Now I don't think Marvel will totally throw out everything. It will likely be similar to what DC did.

Some of my predictions (not necessarily what I'm hoping) for Marvel's "reboot":
Most of the last 25 years of stories never happened.
Older iconic stories still stand. (Born Again, Dark Phoenix, Demon in a Bottle)

Spiderman - Gwen Stacy alive, never any clones, younger
Iron Man - will basically stay "superior" but not as villainous
Nick Fury - was always black, no son
Black Widow - no longer old or tied to WW2
Captain America - basically the same, but more recently "defrosted" so they can really play up the "man out of time".
Bucky - back to being somewhat brainwashed and dangerous.
Avengers - same cast as movie obviously, Civil War never happened so they can rehash it when the movies do it.
Any character that can be made Inhuman (i.e. Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch) will be.
FF - exist but won't appear until the fallout from movie.
Carol Danvers was never Binary or any of that. Rogue never had her powers.
Punisher - Iraq war vet, not as old
Miles Morales and Kamala Khan go to same school that Parker does/did.
All great points.I also think Luke Cage and Jessica Jones will no longer be married or have a kid.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

It's weird that I have those reactions but I think it's because, to me, Daredevil is a basic concept with which writers can do their own thing while the story of the X-Men is about the story of the X-Men. Daredevil's kinda like Batman. There's a compelling premise to start from and it's cool to see different writers have different takes.

To me, it's unnecessary to reboot just for that. You have Yellow, the Man Without Fear, Daredevil: Redemption, and the upcoming 15.1 story with Marc Guggenheim. All take place outside of the present time and most offer a slightly different take on the story. But it manages it just fine.

On top of that, Daredevil since I started reading it was an ongoing story (even before then, it was to, since you introduced new characters to Daredevil such as the Black Widow who later came back as established characters). So we're talking about Frank Miller (the reformation of Gladiator, the introduction of Elektra, the death of Stick, Heather Glenn breaking up with Matt Murdock), O'Neil (the death of Heather Glenn, the introduction of Glorianna O'Breen), Miller again (Kingpin discovering Daredevil's secret identity, Daredevil losing his law license), Ann Nocenti (getting back together with Karen Page, breaking up again), D.G. Chichester (getting back law license, death of Glorianna O'Breen), Smith (death of Karen Page), Bendis (unraveling of Daredevil's secret identity), etc.

All these events were established over time and built over time. And, to me, Matt Murdock is a more interesting character than Daredevil anyway and his ongoing personal issues are a big part of that.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: