Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: Daredevil: Father
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my review:

Cover: I like the cover. The moon in the background makes a nice backdrop for Daredevil jumping forward. It's a nice pose. Still, I'm not sure I'm digging the minimalist thing overall. I feel like a vibrant, beautiful cover with the moon in the background would look quite cool. Joe Quesada drew like four moons in Guardian Devil covers, so I know he can do more. I'm not sure I like the grin.

As for the text, I'm particularly fond of this dialogue:
"Digital issue not currently available"

I found it compelling!

As for the plot, Marvel wiki says:
Quote:
Daredevil has his work cut out for him: New York’s crippling heat wave shows no signs of relief, a serial killer has a stranglehold on the city, and there’s a new super-hero team on the streets that’s got a big gripe with him.

Well, that doesn't tell much. Frankly, it could be the plot for the previous issue too. The new superhero team sounds like it could be an intriguing development - if I had the issue.

Quote:
Featuring a whole new costume look for Daredevil, specially designed for this series by Joe Quesada!

That sounds horrifying.

$2.99 price each seems OK, but I probably wouldn't have paid it even if I wasn't on a deadline. $3 for the entire story might be OK, if it would have arrived in time.

Uh, let's go with one star per dollar and give it Two point 99 Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so this is my late review of #2 PLUS a quick review of Marvel Unlimited - which I signed up for so I could read Daredevil Father. Ideally, my plan was to read all SIX issues of a six issue limited series. Since it was a limited series and the service is Marvel Unlimited...well, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

ISSUE 2 - (or IS THIS STILL A MYSTERY?)

What We Know and What is Happening

1. A woman Maggie got Erin Brockoviched and hires Murdock and Nelson to sue. No update.

2. Maggie's older husband named Sean is a jerk. He's abusive too.

3. Maggie and Sean grew up in Hell's Kitchen.

4. Whoever was selling Old Spice in the old days in Hell's Kitchen was really raking it in. OLD SPICE IS MENTIONED AGAIN! At this point there really may be a scent based subplot.

5. Nester, the son of a Human Rights Activist, started a Junior Guardian Angels group. Then his dad was killed. Then he disappeared for a bit but came back as NeRo - a media mogul who makes rap and fragrances. He really likes tv. This time he watches TV (man this is terrible writing) to learn that there's a serial killer named Jonny Sockets and that there's a new group of superheros in town.

6. A shadowy lady tells NeRo his car is ready WHILE A COMMERCIAL FOR "ONLY" COLOGNE IS PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND. Please, please, please let this be going somewhere.

7. Some lady who appears to be tied up and about to have kinky sex with some dude isn't bothered by the fact that the dude is wearing a jacket and gloves but is very bothered by the fact that the dude pulls out a knife. Presumably she's killed. The killer then kills another lady. He's doing something gross to his victims eyes.

Hints and Mysteries

The person holding the knife in the final, disturbing scene is wearing a jacket that matches Sean's jacket. Same again this issue. The killer is wearing Sean's jacket. So it's Sean Right? Right?

REVIEW OF MARVEL UNLIMITED:

It's terrible.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible is a bit harsh, but it's highly flawed.

The flaws are two-fold. First, there are some serious usability issues. I have tricks to get it to work, but those tricks are like holding TV antennae a certain way or blowing on a Nintendo cartridge. I don't know if they actually do anything and, more importantly, it should work without me having to do those things. Too many times, it simply doesn't load and accessing a particular issue (particularly an early issue of a long-running comic) is a huge pain.

The other flaw is the lack of available content. This is genuinely frustrating. The service is billed as something that lets you dive into the back catalog. It makes sense that they still want you to pay for recent issues and I'm fine with that. But the back catalog should be as complete as possible. Missing issue 3 is flat out inexcusable.

More importantly, I'm trying to use it to read genuine classic stories - stories that would otherwise be out of my price range. But the first story I immediately went to was Panther's Rage from Jungle Action 1-15. It's available in two ways - Essential Black Panther, which is around 80 dollars now and the Marvel Masterworks Black Panther which is about 120 (obviously, the individual issues would be extremely expensive). None of those three versions are available and Jungle Action isn't even listed as something that exists. Same with Inhumans. Their own run from the 1970s isn't acknowledged to exist, their Action Comics run is unavailable, and their issues in the back of Thor issues don't exist even though the very same Thor issues do. These are the kinds of things that should be there. $10 a month to read this would be worth it. $300 for Black Panther and Inhumans is not. On the other hand, I'm reading some classic Fantastic Four stories. The first stories of the Inhumans, Galactus, and Black Panther were essentially back to back to back, it was truly a highlight of Lee-Kirby creativity.

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I post the start for the next issue, does anyone actually want to tell us what happened in this issue? I'd like to have at least some idea before I go forward (although it'll be an interesting experiment to find out if anything is missed).

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do that tomorrow when I get a chance.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil Father #3 opens with the image of an electro cardiogram, which over the course of a page, morphs into a radar image of Ellegua, the leader of the Santerians. Ellegua knows that Matt is Daredevil, and that he sued a tabloid for revealing his secret identity. Ellegua's voice is, apparently, hypnotic.

The Santerians are mad at Matt for clearing Hell's Kitchen's crime into their neighbourhood. They tell him about Johnny Sockets, and Matt responds, "'s none of my business." Ellegua calls him a phony, and Matt slugs him.

One by one, Matt is attacked by the Santerians. Chango seems to burn him. Oya levitates him and throws him around. Oshun saps him of blood. Ogun is big and strong. Ellegua gets the Santerians to stop attacking him. Matt delivers one last insult and one of the Santerians knocks him out.

Matt regains consciousness some time later. He has broken ribs. Cops and emergency workers are in the vicinity. There's been a murder and he hears the name Johnny Sockets. Matt smells Old Spice and a hint of chemo. He thinks "Gotcha," and is convinced Sean Farrell is involved. He can't follow him through the crowd, and he loses Sean.

The next morning, Matt hears NeRo being interviewed on the radio. Matt calls Foggy and asks that all his appointments for the day be cancelled. He's in pain.

NeRo cuts the ribbon at the opening of the Tribeca Youth Center. He's asked by a reporter about his past as a "street spirit." NeRo responds that he no longer believes in vigilantism. He chews out his assistant for not screening questions. She says, "We tried our best..." NeRo retorts, "Your best wouldn't have been good enough for my father, nor is it good enough for me. I'm trying to bury my past, not dredge it up at every damn press conference."

A double page spread of childhood bullies punching and teasing from Matt's point of view.

A splash page of Matt's dad criticizing him for fighting, again from Matt's point of view.

A splash page of Matt's dad as a mob enforcer telling him to hit the books and not to turn out like him.

A double page spread of the old man being thrown for the path of the oncoming truck, yelling "Don't turn out like me!" again from Matt's point of view.

Matt wakes up from this dream, wondering if his father is trying to tell him something.

Sean dodges a plate thrown by Maggie. He's suggesting they need help. The phone rings and Maggie answers it. It's Matt. Sean's yelling, asking who it is. Matt asks Maggie to come see him the next morning, and she agrees. Sean gets mad and storms out.

Matt goes to a secret room of samurai books, armor and weapons.

The Santerians head out in the night to "spread the legend." They're stopped, one by one, by someone with Daredevil's billy club. Ellegua gets out of the car being driven by Oshun. Daredevil, in a samurai outfit, rides up on a motorcycle, scraping two samurai swords along the tarmac.

The issue ends with a double page spread reveal of Daredevil in this samurai outfit saying "Santerians my @$$!"

TO BE CONTINUED
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Love the fact that Old Spice is 100% a thing now.

Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's dumb. Two and a Half Stars Wink

So this takes place maybe during King of Hell's Kitchen?

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next one, should be online:

Chapter Four: Street Angels

Due 3/7

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue #4

I would describe the cover as good.

I think anyone would look at the page after the recap and see that the Samurai Daredevil costume is ridiculous.

In regards to Daredevil's violent response to Ellegua -- I expect Matt, a renowned attorney, to be more reasonable than this. He's not the Punisher. Ellegua didn't say anything that elicited this response.

The fight against the Santerians: He's dressed in Samurai garb, but I really can't see why. He doesn't fight like one. He makes use of a samurai sword I guess, but not like a samurai would. His further tactics resemble Batman more than a samurai, or Daredevil for that matter.

When I was much younger, and discovering Daredevil in O'Neil and Mazzuchelli issues, Daredevil was one of the most agile and graceful heroes in the Marvel Universe. In Daredevil: Father #4, he kicks Ogun in the balls. Around this time, during the Bendis era, I felt that Daredevil became a much more crude fighter, and much less acrobatic.

Oshun can control water? What exactly are her powers?

Again, in this issue, Matt says that he doesn't care about crime outside of Hell's Kitchen, even though the Johnny Sockets murder in #3 seemed to happen in Hell's Kitchen. I really don't like that.

The two pages of Matt thinking about his father in the alley were nicely done.

Maggie's phone conversation with her father seems extrenuous, perhaps in a Wayne's World way.

The braille seems to be a clue as to who Johnny Sockets is. And whoever they are, they have info for Melvin Potter.

We find out a hell of a lot more about NeRo, and that's good. And I think it was cool that the gun used to kill NeRo's father looks just like the one in Parts of a Hole.

I give this issue a 2.5.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Before my review, I'll respond to three things:
* I don't like that Daredevil seems to restrict himself to Hell's Kitchen. Hell's Kitchen isn't that big. That being said, I think that's borrowed directly from Bendis after Luke Cage told him to keep his house in order, he became the King of Hell's Kitchen. After that, everything is focused on how he drove crime out of Hell's Kitchen. This is drawing from that, even if it's kinda stupid.
* I missed the braille, good catch
* The gun confused me. Is it supposed to be the same gun? This would have been well after Maya's father died based on yellow suit Daredevil (although that kinda confused me too).

My review:
That's the new costume? Good lord, I liked it better when I couldn't click on the issues and only had descriptions. Right away, it seems like Matt's the A-Hole unreasonable one as well. Given all that, the fight comes off as extremely stupid. Half the fight was them saying they're on the same side yet still fighting anyway. I know that's a trope, but it came off poorly handled here. I do like Matt taking off his mask and looking just like his dad. I bet that was deliberate.

Matt pushes unnecessarily in what's not his business and gets rightly fired. His use of the "I fell" excuse is an obviously play, but I like it. Although, to be fair, he is blind so it makes more sense. So NeRo's life had parallels to Matts with a dad in a compromising position. It appears he founded the Santerans so he went down the same path I guess. I don't know, I'm struggling to have it feel like it's something more. I feel the cologne/Old Spice thing will come up again, but I have no idea. God I just don't care.

Frankly, the opening battle left me cold and nothing else made it better after. Two Stars.

Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... nobody likes that (hideous!) costume, huh?

As much as the unmasking was a nice parallel, as you point out, it doesn't make sense that he'd do it out on the street where folks can see it. I agree that the fighting is brutal. No finesse here. Matt's being a jerk and I don't like it.

I like Nero's backstory, but the more I read of this the more I'm happy that I have yet to come across a DD arc in the main title that has tried to incorporate any element of this mini into the larger picture.

And despite having missed #3... it really doesn't feel like I've missed much of anything so... yeah. One point five stars from me.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISSUE 4

First off, let me say that while reading this I literally thought "wait, is this actually #3?" given the similarities to what Dimetre described in his summary of that issue. So Matt fought the Santerians in issue 3 and then changed into Samurai gear and then fought them all over again in #4? What?

Well let's see where the plot's going anyway.

What We Know and What is Happening

1. A woman Maggie got Erin Brockoviched and hires Murdock and Nelson to sue. Matt was much more interested in whether or not she was being abused so she fired him.

2. Maggie's older husband named Sean is a jerk. He's abusive too. Sounds like her dad is also abusive and sketchy.

3. Maggie and Sean grew up in Hell's Kitchen.

4. Whoever was selling Old Spice in the old days in Hell's Kitchen was really raking it in. OLD SPICE IS MENTIONED AGAIN! At this point there really may be a scent based subplot.

5. Nester, the son of a Human Rights Activist, started a Junior Guardian Angels group. Then his dad was killed (BY KINGPIN FOR NOT KILLING HIM!). Then he disappeared for a bit but came back as NeRo - a media mogul who makes rap and fragrances. He really likes tv. This time he watches TV (man this is terrible writing) to learn that there's a serial killer named Jonny Sockets and that there's a new group of superheros in town. NeRo is also behind this group (the Santerians!). Matt figures this out because of the the cologne! IT IS CENTRAL TO THE PLOT. THIS IS AMAZING!

6. A shadowy lady tells NeRo his car is ready WHILE A COMMERCIAL FOR "ONLY" COLOGNE IS PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND. Please, please, please let this be going somewhere. AND IT WAS! KINDA!

7. Some lady who appears to be tied up and about to have kinky sex with some dude isn't bothered by the fact that the dude is wearing a jacket and gloves but is very bothered by the fact that the dude pulls out a knife. Presumably she's killed. The killer then kills another lady. He's doing something gross to his victims eyes. Killer kills again but the victim is a man this time. The killer also has a book with Melvin Potter's name in it.

Hints and Mysteries

The person holding the knife in the final, disturbing scene is wearing a jacket that matches Sean's jacket. Same again this issue. The killer is wearing Sean's jacket. So it's Sean Right? Right?

Why aren't you laughing?

Last edited by james castle on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the "only" cologne and Old Spice are connected.

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter Five: Heeeeeere's Johnny!

Due 3/14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: