Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil in Civil War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Daredevil in Civil War Reply with quote

This is about the comics, not a hypothetical question of whether the Netflix show should intersect with Captain America: Civil War.

Where does Daredevil intersect with Civil War? Is it when he was out in Europe? If so, is the Daredevil who is with Captain America Iron Fist? Or is this just something I shouldn't think about too much?

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daredevil in Civil War is Danny Rand, Matt Murdock was still in prison during Civil War.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best to ignore it.I actually think Millar was using the original Daredevil instead of Danny in the main book.Matt said Danny never used his billy clubs and the Daredevil in Civil War was seen using them.I also think I remember Brubaker saying they used Matt in Civil War rather than Danny.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little further ahead than when I asked that question. The scene where the underground heroes were getting new identities, he looks like Matt. But he is at least never called Matt.

But, yeah, it doesn't really make sense to be Matt given the timeframe we're talking about here. I get that Daredevil could kinda fly under the radar, but I'm surprised they couldn't at least get an agreement not to screw things up by including him where he doesn't make sense.

admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I'm a little further ahead than when I asked that question. The scene where the underground heroes were getting new identities, he looks like Matt. But he is at least never called Matt.

But, yeah, it doesn't really make sense to be Matt given the timeframe we're talking about here. I get that Daredevil could kinda fly under the radar, but I'm surprised they couldn't at least get an agreement not to screw things up by including him where he doesn't make sense.

I agree, I think Millar intended it to be Matt because he wasn't caught up on Bendis' run, then they retconned it to be Danny Rand instead based on Brubaker's run. I agree that he looks like Matt in the diner scene with the new identities. I guess their reasoning is that Danny died his hair, however that seems unnecessary based on the fact that Rand was not known as a member of the resistance at that point and would not have needed a secret identity at the time anyhow. Essentially it was a continuity snafu that was retconned later.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that seems to be about right. Really, the only reason I think they used Daredevil at all was so he could fight Spider-Man in the fight scenes. Aside from that, it was a wasted opportunity. Matt Murdock, especially with the legal issues he had at the time, would have been an interesting character to explore during Civil War. I think She-Hulk was used effectively for the lawyer role so maybe it would have been redundant, but it seemed like Millar just didn't have any understanding of the character.

Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that we're talking about a trainwreck of a storyline.
best forgotten.
whoever wrote it didn't know or care that at the time Danny was acting as DD. You could read it while completely ignoring that it was supposed to be Danny. There was even a scene with Daredevil being teabagged to the negative zone prison, and Tony Stark is speaking to him explaining him that it's for the best, and nothing about it is said.
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR it was Matt and he was breaking out of jail to contribute and then breaking back in to serve his time, I actually think that is the most realistic option which ties it all together -
1) he can easily do it, he has broken in and out of prison a number of times with his crazy ninja skills,
2) it would make sense as it means he could be trying to show he is not DD,
3) the DD stuff in Civil War is more DD than Danny Rand, the biblical references etc,
4) Matt is arrogant/crazy enough to think he could pull this off and not get caught.

Just a thought.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be, it contradicts several tie-ins where it is referenced that it is not Matt in the costume and also contradicts the storyline of the ongoing series.
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness, no Iron Fist was seen in Civil War. And he might not have been used too much in Civil War but it was the most exposure Daredevil had in terms of major crossovers. Why writers don't use him is beyond stupid for me.

Last edited by Ryu Murdock on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brubaker was doing Cap as well, right? I wonder if he had some pull to keep Daredevil out so it wouldn't ruin his Daredevil story at the time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: