Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: Child's Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really enjoying seeing other posters opinions on this story, I've always particularly enjoyed this story out of the many excellent stories from this time period. I would contribute some reviews of my own, but sadly my Frank Miller DD Omnibus is on loan to a friend at the moment Sad. I'm still glad to see other posters break down why this is such an excellent story though.

I like the way the book club is going right now, alternating between the more controversial stories like Father and the classics like Man Without Fear. Its nice to see other's thoughts on these stories, sometimes one gets new insight into the stories based on what others have to say, appreciating the good stuff more or seeing that maybe it isn't quite as sterling as we may have built it up to be, or even seeing that the stuff we don't like isn't always as terrible as we previously thought. I still couldn't bring myself to reread Father, though I did enjoy reading other people's thoughts on it.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was a fun one. Now we need a new idea.

Regarding the phone thing, does anyone want to think about that? Does Matt's superhearing let him hear into the future (or I guess hear the other person dialing)? Is there something I don't know about phones about some kind of supersonic buzz before it rings. Any thoughts?

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Regarding the phone thing, does anyone want to think about that? Does Matt's superhearing let him hear into the future (or I guess hear the other person dialing)? Is there something I don't know about phones about some kind of supersonic buzz before it rings. Any thoughts?

It makes sense to me, or at the very least, it's not outlandish. A transmission would come down the wires to the phone device, triggering the bell mechanism to activate. (It's early 80s, so phones were mostly analogue.) If Matt was able to detect the transmission early, and if his bell mechanism was slow, it makes total sense that he would be able to pick up the phone before it rung on a regular basis.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have time to do my full review yet, but to comment on the telephone thing, I'd say Matt probably heard some kind of switch or transistor or something click on inside the phone. The ringer isn't instantaneous, there has to be a connection before it can work. It's still the case even in modern day phones. My cell phone usually lights up a couple seconds before a call comes through. We also have a land line through the cable company, and the caller ID often pops up on the TV several seconds before the phone actually rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: