Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S1E2 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S1E2 Discussion Reply with quote

Discussion for Marvel's Daredevil S1E2.
Please only discuss elements in this episode (or previous episodes if it applies) but not anything that happens in episodes after this one.

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This episode was really good, and I enjoyed it more than the first one.

Charlie Cox and Rosario Dawson were very good together. It's amazing how quiet their scenes are allowed to be.

John Patrick Hayden is amazing as Battlin' Jack Murdock, and Skylar Gaertner is an unbelievably good actor for such a young boy. It's too bad they won't have more scenes together.

I was overjoyed to see Josie's Bar appear in this episode, and Josie herself was hilarious. I liked Elden Henson more in this episode than in the first, but I still find his acting style so theatrical in comparison to everyone else in this show. It's like he's in a Broadway musical while everyone else is in a gritty noir.

The ambition of this show is impressive. I don't know how many minutes that last shot lasted, but it must have been well over five. That's why it seems cruel to quibble with the fight scene. It was impressive, in that it was all done in one shot, and Charlie Cox did a good job, but I really think Daredevil's fighting style should be more eclectic and acrobatic. Plus, there were a couple times where it looked as though some people were able to sneak up on him from behind, which shouldn't be able to happen. Still, applause is deserved for taking on such a monumental fight scene in a single shot.

So, Battlin' Jack defeated Crusher Creel in this episode. Carl Creel (the Absorbing Man) appeared at the beginning of this season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., played by Brian Patrick Wade. I'm not sure if the Cinematic Universe is going to have Carl and Crusher be the same person, but I'm enjoying how interwoven everything is.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed episode 2 - quite different to the first, but a nice change of pace. Loved the rapport with Dawson, and I enjoyed the way "Mike Murdock" was incorporated into the story.

The final 'single-shot' scene (in inverted commas because there are a couple of places where you can see the joins) was pretty cool, but honestly I was more gripped by the earlier, quieter scenes.

Matt still seems a bit brutal to me (the fire extinguisher, the eye/knife scene and the dumpster toss pushed things about as far as I'd like to see them go), but it suits the tone of the show and definitely sets it apart from Marvel's other properties. I hope we see a bit more levity and elegance at some point though.
chamber
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That corridor scene reminded me of Oldboy.

Daredevil classic comic character Roscoe Sweeney aka The Fixer and his right hand man Slade!

I love how even though this show is dark and gritty, the characters are not. Matt isn't some grim dark brooding vigilante all the time. Matt is actually outgoing and sociable even though he has a tortured dark side.
Nightwing2001
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was another great episode. The scenes of young Matt and Battlin Jack we're well done. When he threw the fight even though he knew he would die captured the feel of the origin story in the comic so well. Even the boxing outfit and robe he wore had a tip off with the colors of the original red and yellow DD costume. Just such a great tip of the hat to the diehard fans there that would "get it."

I did feel though that the violence Matt used in some scenes were more than I was used to seeing from him but I also thought that this is just him starting out and he would later realize he had to reel himself in a bit. It's too early to tell but I hope this is how it will play out in the show.

I think the thing that really stood out for me in the episode was the "Never give up" side of Matt. He's injured, he's exhausted, but he keeps on fighting the men at the end even though the odds are against him and he beats them all to save the boys life. THIS is the Daredevil I know and it really captures the spirit of the character so well here.
Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this episode was better than the first. The first was great but this episode truly felt like daredevil. They adapted the origin almost perfectly and I loved to see Josie's bar. I agree that I don't want to see Matt go any farther than we did with the dumpster. This is daredevil, not punisher. I like the fighting style a lot and think the final scene was awesome. It was much more realistic than spider-man-esque acrobatics.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have an old microwave that they don't want anymore? I'm planning on tossing one at someone unexpectedly. That scene was awesome!

Is the brutality too much? No. It's perfect. It should be disturbing for obvious reasons.

C.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawson is awesome, she's so much more than just a "nurse". I loved her advice about cutting the eye, brutal!

And the flashback scenes with Jack are done really well. Very emotional but not corny. One of my favourite parts of the show so far.

I'm surprised and glad they've integrated the kidnapping plot line. It really justifies why Matt acts as brutally as he does.

And finally...that scene. What I thought was so good about this was how much you could see Matt was aching as he fought. There's no elegance here, just determination. So while I wasn't blown away by the one take approach (that some people compared it to True Detective now seems abit farfetched) I think the way they had Matt navigate through it was great.

Again, I'm not sold on Foggy yet. It seems like he's trying too hard to pin down the "loveable best friend" role. But hopefully down the line he gets better.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to make these reviews shorter (not for your benefit, but because it's cutting down on Netflix-watching).

This episode had really good pathos. And by that, I mean it really gave me the feels. The Jack/Matt interaction was great throughout. From Matt having to grow up early with the finances to Matt learning his dad died, it was great on that end. But from Jack's end, it was perfect. It didn't have MWOF's defiant last breath, but from the Murdocks get up moment of inspiration to betting on himself to calling Maggie (presumably), it was great. The moment of him hearing the crowd chant Murdock was great. It ended in tragedy, but it was a tragedy he knew going into it. Really expertly handled throughout. I will say I love how this interaction with the Fixer didn't involve him breaking hands for bookies and it didn't involve threats against his son. It was straight from Stan Lee, but it still had tons of shades of gray. Jack Murdock was a poor man trying to provide for his blind son to get him to rise above this. That involves hard choices. The braille books showed that he had to go above and beyond for his education (and the Thurgood Marshall quote was a nice touch). 9 year old Matt is smarter than his dad, but it was still a touching relationship. Glad to see what's his name the Judge from the Wire - really the more Wire the better. Small role but I liked it.

I liked Josie's bar. I hope to return to it. I like Foggy's optimism. It made for a nice change of pace. He's the one who sees the good in people, which is a good trait for a defense attorney.

The Claire/Matt scenes were the focus on the episode (sans flashback). They're the heart of the conflict. Good to see Matt doing good already. Obviously, a lot of issues so far and it's clear that he's in a very gray area, but he still hasn't completely crossed the line (although the eye-stabbing cut it close, as did the throwing from a building). I like the fight-style. It seems adapted for a blind hero. It's very reaction-heavy so he can hear the approach. Also, since he's not superpowered, people don't go down after just one hit. It leads to some satisfyingly brutal scenes.

Overall, Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cut Man"

Just my notes...

-Claire and Matt have good chemistry
-still love young Matt and Jack
-whole flashback was well done
-Matt stitches up Jack
-Roscoe Sweeny
-Other guy was named Silke? Sammy Silke's dad? Hmmm...
-Josie's Bar!
-Nice nod to Mike Murdock
-Carl Crusher Creel
-Who does Jack call? Is it Maggie?
-Who is Lloyd Wagner
-why did I write down the account number 0048256882?
-fight at end reminds me of long edit like True Detective
-scene with rescue, taking off the mask while he talks to the kid, so good
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My notes on this one:

What's with the ace of spades in the first aid kit Matt uses to stitch up Jack?

"I'll call you Mike." Yeah.

The scene of Matt in the hospital with Jack at the bedside was right out of JRJRs art.

I'll forgive young Matt for not really knowing his braille yet. I wonder if it was a goof by the writer or the actor, and they just let it stay. How many people really know that C is not "upper right"? Had he said you add the dot on the upper right to A, you get C, that would have been correct. I noticed there was also a cheat card on the left of the table with the alphabet on it. He was correct about the W as it doesn't follow the other rules, and Q and T are one dot different from each other. Okay, I'm a braille nerd! What of it?

Lots of Easter eggs in the fight posters with names we recognize.

I actually liked the thing with the fire extinguisher. Wait...wait...wait...bombs away!

Claire and Matt have some good onscreen chemistry. She seems to be able to rein him in just a bit with her observations about his actions. But just a tad. That knife to the eye thing was gruesome.

Last fight scene was major bad@ss. Flying microwaves for the win! Really loved how Matt pulled his mask back before he went in to save the kid.

Oh, and Josie's Bar! This must be before Matt starts throwing people through the glass ever so often. Very Happy

Foggy is picking up speed in this episode, for me. I like him.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
What's with the ace of spades in the first aid kit Matt uses to stitch up Jack?

I didn't notice that. Interesting.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they've nailed the fighting. I'd only want to see Matt get hit a little bit less as he does more and improves. He moves very quickly and elegantly when he isn't engaged with someone so that covers his acrobatic side. When fighting you don't pull off over the top moves unless the person you are fighting lets you because they are compliant or injured. The punches after pushing off a wall and things are as much as I'd want to see for acrobatic fighting. I don't mind people sneaking up behind when he is fighting a lot of guys in a small space, he may of been aware but what could he do when he's already fighting somebody in front of him?

I really like that he isn't knocking people out all over the place, he gives an appropriate amount of punishment to guys who you have to assume are used to violence. It's the punch you don't see that knocks you out after all.

I was surprised by how different episode 2 was laid out compared to the first. Guess I've become too used to things like Arrow that can get very formulaic.

I had to go away for the weekend working and I didn't want to see all of the episodes for the first time on my phone so I'm catching up now. It pains me that my brother and sister have seen all 13 on my recommendation before I'd seen three.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: