Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Can Matt Murdock "see"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Can Matt Murdock "see"? Reply with quote

What are you talking about?! Of course he can't see! He's blind!

OK, now that we've got that out our system, hear me out on what I mean. Throughout Daredevil history, we've seen visual representations of his radar sense. These senses are usually a silhouette, but sometimes far more detailed three dimensional images. Now comics are a visual medium so there needs to be some way to convey this information to the reader. In addition, there's Frank Miller's description of the Radar Sense (echoed by Mark Waid) that it is "like touching everything in the room at once." That suggests an almost tactile version. On the other hand, in the new show, Matt was asked what does he "see" and he described it as "the world's on fire." This suggests an actual visual image is created in his brain.

The important thing to keep in mind is sight is an illusion for everyone. Anyone annoyed by a black and blue dress on social media knows this. Sight is something created by our brain, it's not what actually exists in the world. So, when Daredevil absorbs the information from all his senses (including his radar sense if you think it's a separate sense), do you think he actually "sees" a composite image? Or, instead, do you think it's more something he's aware of through intuition and there's no visual image in his mind at all?

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sight is something created by our brain, it's not what actually exists in the world" Way too heavy for me Laughing

If his eyes don't send a signal to his brain then he doesn't see by definition of blindness as opposed to seeing. Does creating an image in the mind with no input from the eyes constitute seeing? If you read a book and it describes a character you build that image in your mind with, essentially, no visual cue. Daredevil takes the information he is given which provides him with an accurate portrayal of shape and location. He then builds that into a perspective that allows him to do what he does. For the purpose of moving around and fighting and knowing where things and people are in relation to himself he probably has an advantage over normal seeing people.

The way I took the 'world on fire' was just his way of trying to let Claire relate a bit. After all, if you aren't blind you just don't know what it's like. Doubly so with fictional "powers".

I haven't read any substantial pre-Miller stuff but I don't think the radar sense is a separate sense. Isn't radar sending and receiving sound to build a map of surroundings? When he loses his radar sense in Miller's run he has to rely on single senses at a time to cope but Stick tells him he hasn't lost anything except for his focus to build the radar. I'm pretty sure he retrains with him to get it back.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I'd rather avoid the discussion of whether the Radar Sense is a separate sense. I could do a long essay on that. Short answer is it originally was. I'm pretty sure the little blurb at the beginning of each issue flat out said it was. Even Stick's line doesn't contradict that.

From Issue 177:
Quote:
Stick: Think yer something special, don't ya? Think yer the only guy in the world with built-in radar? Punk, we all got radar. It's a sense, just like smelln' or hearin'. Men have let it decay cuz they got eyes. You got lucky - yours was mutated. You got a free ride. But the ride's over. You got hit by a bomb that took it away. If you want it back, you gotta earn it.

But, as I said, I'd rather not go down that Rabbit Hole. In the Netflix series (and I don't think this is a spoiler), he talked about how the combination of his senses formed a sort of "impressionistic painting." Even if we don't think the Radar Sense is a literal separate sense, the question remains how literal that painting is. Are the images we see when the radar sense is represented all that similar to what Matt Murdock "sees"? In his brain, is there a visual image at all?

train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Are the images we see when the radar sense is represented all that similar to what Matt Murdock "sees"? In his brain, is there a visual image at all?

Just my opinion here. I think he sees what is represented by the radar sense in the comics. In the 3-4. times he has regained his vision the writers made a big deal about seeing the face of Foggy and going to an art gallery (among other sighted outings) I'm sure there are other things that I am missing, but if his radar showed more detail than normal vision, then these 'sighted' events wouldn't have made such an impact on Matt.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstand. I'm not asking if his radar shows him more detail than how it's represented on the page. I'm asking if it shows less detail. I'm asking if it shows an image at all (however blurry).

train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no image at all. If he could see images on a paper or see features of a persons face, why did Heather Glenn take him to an art gallery in issue 223? And he's seen Foggy's face several times too. I doubt that would have been a big deal if his radar sense allowed him to see features.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ask if it allowed him to see features, I asked if it allowed him to see anything. Even a general outline or silhouette.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like Paolo Rivera's depiction of what Matt "sees" better than any other artist's. Rivera's imagery does look tactile, in that the radar waves are hitting objects and sending back to Matt their shape and location. But he would only get shape and location from his radar, and need to rely on his other four senses for further information.

One thing I've found about my friend's reaction to the show is that they're unclear of what Matt can see and what he can't see. I think phrases like "world on fire" and "impressionistic painting" are too unclear for newbies.

One thing I'm curious about: Have there been any times when Matt's heightened sense of taste has saved the day?
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I didn't ask if it allowed him to see features, I asked if it allowed him to see anything. Even a general outline or silhouette.

If you've read enough of the comics, the radar sense shows him shapes and locations of objects. That's what I was referring to when I said "how it is represented in the comics". So, does that count as seeing in your book?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

One thing I'm curious about: Have there been any times when Matt's heightened sense of taste has saved the day?

It's been featured (blood being detected by the taste of copper in the air), but taste and smell are closely related. I don't recall him ever consuming something where taste has factored in somehow.

Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I think I like Paolo Rivera's depiction of what Matt "sees" better than any other artist's. Rivera's imagery does look tactile, in that the radar waves are hitting objects and sending back to Matt their shape and location. But he would only get shape and location from his radar, and need to rely on his other four senses for further information.

^This.

Rivera (and Waid) would suggest that it is more like echolocation, that his radar sense gives him a broad image of his surroundings and he uses his other senses to fill in the gaps of knowledge.

Now whether that translates into him being able to actually 'see' something, that depends on how damaged his eyes really are, in terms of retina, rods, cones, and such. But I think blind means blind, that he doesn't 'see' anything and thus all he goes on are mental pictures formed by his combined senses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: