Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #15 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #15?
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #15 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #15 by Waid, Samnee and Wilson ships April 29th, and here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V4-015

Please use this thread for all discussion on the issue!
WilsonFisk
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED this issue!

Things finally come crashing down on Matt Murdock's head here as his life gets upended once again. The issue piles up like a car-wreck, putting Daredevil I a deeper and deeper hole and leaving him screwed from more and more angles. My one disappointment is that I'd have preferred it if it was The Owl doing all this directly, really give him a platform to hurt Daredevil, rather than it being The Shroud acting through The Owl.

But he absolute highlight for me was the last page. Oh man, THAT reveal, it had me giddy! I let out a squeal of glee. I've really enjoyed the Mark Waid run, but I've said there was only one element missing that's stopped me from saying the run has given me everything I could want as a Daredevil fan. Well, now it seems I'm going to get even that. Really excited for the endgame being set up.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having flashbacks at this point to Chuck Austen's X-Men.
The end of Waid's run can't come soon enough.
The saddest part is that this storyline would've been great had Waid not chosen to turn Marvel's best character into a complete moron over the last 2 years. The cover to this issue is a perfect illustration encapsulating the entirety of Vol 4. Matt Murdock reduced to a simpering fool.

I've said this before, but I feel truly sorry for any new fans introduced to the character by the Netflix series who then went to a bookstore to find this tripe masquerading as The Man Without Fear.
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
I'm having flashbacks at this point to Chuck Austen's X-Men.
The end of Waid's run can't come soon enough.
The saddest part is that this storyline would've been great had Waid not chosen to turn Marvel's best character into a complete moron over the last 2 years. The cover to this issue is a perfect illustration encapsulating the entirety of Vol 4. Matt Murdock reduced to a simpering fool.

I've said this before, but I feel truly sorry for any new fans introduced to the character by the Netflix series who then went to a bookstore to find this tripe masquerading as The Man Without Fear.

Do what I do...

chant.."3 more issues...3 more issues.."
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 down three more to go!!!!I have no idea how Fisk can clean up this mess Waid made Matt uncharacteristically make.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an improvement over the previous issue, but I still have many problems.

1. The stupid suit. Holy cow. It's so impractical. First he's wading into water, and later he dives into the bay. In a three-piece suit. It really distracts me from the story.

2. The Owl. How did the Shroud know to use him this way? How is it even possible? The bind in which it puts Matt is cool, but... how? Why the Owl?

3. Matt should be smarter. When Matt fist met the Shroud near at the beginning of Volume 4, he should have been able to detect that he had a larger agenda. In this issue, he finds out that the Owl's daughter has been less than honest with him. Matt should be on top of these things.

4. I don't think Samnee is giving it his all anymore. I could say the same about Waid, but I don't think he's put much effort in during Volume 4 at all. With Samnee, look at the pages with the mayor. It just looks sloppy.

On the plus side, I like that Matt is finally suffering the consequences of his decisions throughout Volume 4. However, for me, that will count for naught if, in the remaining three issues, there is no evidence of him learning something. As of yet, I haven't seen that happen.

I rated this a 2, which is a whole point better than the previous issue.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instant I read "There is one person who can help" it was obvious. And pretty boring.

Those two play chess, they force the other into submission. Making one beg the other is not interesting and you could argue it's original but that doesn't mean good. You can't take those things back anyway.

It doesn't matter, in three issues time they'll all go boom, see ya later.

It is what it is.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trash once again, in so many aspects. I could go on and on, but I'm really not in the mood and some people in this board have expressed the same disappointments I have experienced. Mark Waid is a fool, he doesn't know how to write Daredevil. The last reveal was so obvious it was disgusting. OF COURSE Marvel would do that, since the tv show is a hit. Marvel is ridiculous too; for those out there loving crap like "Avengers and some idiot robot adaption", there, it's said. I think I can only be satisfied with DD from vol. 3 #28 minus, 'cause after this it was downright desrespectful ****. Of course, there people who love "all things Daredevil", as long as there is any weak, sad thing with the character's name; for this people, I can express my contempt. I think it's goodbye, DD.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how anybody can be surprised that the series has gotten this extreme.From Day 1 Waid made it clear that this was a major departure from the status quo.When Daredevil shoved his tongue down a bride's throat,wore a sweater that read"I'm not Daredevil"walked around headless and talked to Spider-Man about the Kardashians I knew the best was yet to come.He received praise after praise from the people that never called him out on his over the top ideas and you're reaping what you sowed.With that being said,three more issues to go.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I'm curious as to how the Kingpin will be able to shove the genie back into the bottle. That's about the only reason that I'm hanging on for the next three issues. I've been reading DD since the mid 1980s and this is the closest that I've been to dropping the title.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've endured some bad times as DD fan but this run takes the cake.I really don't know how Fisk will fix this but as long as he gets his secret back and they get rid of that annoying wanna be silver age version of Karen Page I'll be happy.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

won't read, voting this issue 1 just because of how sickened I am by Waid-ism.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a 2. Like others have said, it was much more enjoyable than the previous issue. So, that's something.

To be perfectly honest, I rather liked everything that happened in the issue. However, that suit..... that suit..... the suit took a solid 2.9 points off of my score just on its own. Someone else said the suit is so bad that it distracts from the story. That's putting it perfectly. I usually love focusing on the drawings of DD and imaging how they would look in fluid motion. Now? I have to purposefully avert my eyes from making direct contact with that suit. ... just, the worst. =P

The final 0.1 was deducted because I'm uncertain about the Owl's daughter. In a vacuum, she's a cool looking character with cool tech. But, as a black female it worries me that she only exists for Waid to shoe-horn in diversity. Normally, I would not think this, but, it has been Waid (and Marvel's) MO as of late.

Much more importantly, it raises an eyebrow since the Owl is white. Now, my DD fandom started with Waid, so I'm no expert on the Owl, but, is his wife/girlfriend black? Is it known that he adopts children? If either of those things are well-known among long-time DD fans then there is zero problem here. Otherwise, if Waid is just dropping this out of the blue, then it comes off like just trying to manufacture more online outrage. ("...wait, why is she black?" "Why do you have a problem with that? You must be racist!" "No, I'm not. But I'm confused by the writing and intent." "Just the thing a racist would say!") ... y'know, the usual stuff these days.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess he was so busy patting himself on the shoulder for this big idea of having "adding diversity without particular explanations which will drive embedded reviewers mad"... that he forgot explaining why Matt decided he had to search for the help of Wilson Fisk rather than... I dunno. Shield? Steve Rogers and the Avengers? Doctor F'n Strange?
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a transition arc. That is the main reason I can think of why Kingpin was reintroduced to the fold (plus the Netflix show of course). A way for the next writer to make things dark again, I mean Waid's run is quite dark if you ask me. The fight between Foggy and Matt, the use of Mila, Foggy's cancer, they can not be considered happy at all.

I like that Matt went to Fisk. In the years that I have been reading DD, which is a long time now, it is rare to see him ask the superhero community for help. Even in Brubaker's run, it was Kingpin that he asked help of. To be a man without fear is to be an egomaniac to a certain extent. So I can see why Matt would ask an enemy for help and not a friend. And after Shadowland where he basically pissed everyone off. Who can he really go to? I am eagerly awaiting how going to Fisk will backfire on Matt. Fisk doesn't do a thing that is never beneficial to him.

I hate that red suit, but I ain't distracted by it. To me, it's a metaphor of how ridiculous Matt's thinking is right now. The moment he dons his red costume would then be a testament that the Matt we know is starting to say "Holy $#it! What have I been doing lately." over and over at the back of his mind.

I did not get Jubula Pride when she was introduced in Daredevil Vol.4 #1.5, but I am STARTING to get her now.

Waid's writing now is a bit alien to me compared to his writing in volume 3. I just hope there is a reason for it.

I gave this issue 4/5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: