Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: Underboss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendis was well aware that Fisk was supposed to be blind as will be clear in a scene from a following issue (and much later on in the Hardcore finale issue)
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had been following the comics, it follows from Parts of a Hole. It's not like the audience of the time wouldn't have known this. The sunglasses is all that's needed to acknowledge it.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
If you had been following the comics, it follows from Parts of a Hole. It's not like the audience of the time wouldn't have known this. The sunglasses is all that's needed to acknowledge it.

I'll grant you that, but what if you hadn't been following the comic? What if this was your first issue of DD ever?

I subscribe to the old adage that creators should (hopefully) treat every issue as someone's first. Bendis takes up three whole caption boxes during Matt's closing speech, explaining the basic premise behind his powers, something that should be obvious to those who have been following the comic yet he couldn't spare one snippet of dialogue as a possible reminder of this salient point about Fisk at that time?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then those who haven't followed it will just think he's an old crimeboss stabbed by a bunch of different people at once. They'll miss something slightly, but I don't think it ruins the enjoyment of the story. There's no practical way to put a footnote about every little detail. I had forgotten about him being blind and I thought it was fine.

Next up:

Daredevil Vol. 2 #27 - Underboss pt. 2

Due 7/5

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like last issue started with superheroes as an absurd concept, one that you couldn't take seriously. This issue starts with the exact opposite approach with those two cops. Daredevil is a hero and the only thing keeping the city from turning into hell on Earth. This is pre-SHRA, but it explores similar themes to that. It also just shows Bendis likes exploring the real world implications of superheroes without necessarily imposing a viewpoint.

The story gives a little more of a look into Silke as a character. He's cocky and defiant, definitely not someone who deals with superheroes on a regular basis. But his arrogance is leading him to go right after Daredevil in Hell's Kitchen.

This issue was still more setup, but it also had some good character moments. I mentioned the cops in the beginning. I also liked the tragic moments at the hospital - first Matt using his senses to realize that some of them aren't going to make it and then him walking down the hall and seeing one of them dead. That's pretty good. But, looking at my notes from last time, I ranted about the decompression and I had only read one prior Bendis story by that point. Given that, I'm going Three and a Half Stars, which is harsh because there's quite a bit I like here. Combine issues one and two into one issue and I'd be really excited for issue two next week.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike Murdock about the decompression -- it's murder, and it feels even more extreme this issue.

The story doesn't really move forward very much at all from issue #26. I realize that it's not being told chronologically, and much of this issue is filling in gaps in the past, but I find it so lame that Bendis chose to put what he did on the last page. The previous issue featured what looked like the Kingpin being fatally wounded. This issue opens with a double-page spread of the Kingpin lying on the floor, with fatal-looking wounds. Prior to the Age of Bendis, I thought issues had to end with a cliffhanger, or at least some sort of hook to entice people to get the next issue. The last page of #27 has Ben Urich taking a phone call, and telling one of his co-workers that "Kingpin's dead." That is not really news to us -- the readers. It might be news to many characters in the story, but not to us. So I find it to be an incredibly lame way to to end the issue.

The conversation with the two cops, while entertainingly-written, in no way deserves two pages, let alone three. I'm not even sure if we ever see these cops again. If not, it's pointless to spend this much time with them. And am I alone in getting annoyed whenever Maleev reuses panels within the same issue? Does that seem cheap to anyone else?

I have also long had a problem with Maleev's depiction of Matt's fighting style, specifically when he sits on top his opponent. That's how schoolyard bullies fight, and it's so graceless. Daredevil should always be portrayed as one of the most acrobatic and graceful fighters of crime in the Marvel Universe. Maleev often resorts to Matt spitting out orders through gritted teeth (I always preferred Quesada's gritted teeth to Maleev's gritted teeth), and sitting on top of his opponents while either hitting them repeatedly or brandishing his billy club.

Once again, we have to endure the litany of captions showing how much bombardment is coming at Daredevil's senses. Again, there is a lot of repitition, and we get the point long before Bendis' captions run out.

But here's a biggy: Look at the page where the cop shoots his gun at Daredevil and Nitro. Daredevil dodges the shot, and in the large panel, it looks like the shot passes close to, but also right by, Nitro's head. So it looks like it misses. It also looks like there is only one shot. In the next panel, a bullet hits Nitro in the thigh. I really think there was only one shot, because there was only one BAM sound effect. Why would Maleev draw these panels this way? Why would Stuart Moore accept these panels?

I liked how stern Daredevil was with the cops after that shot was fired.

The pages with Foggy in the hospital were well-written.

The confrontation with Kingpin was fine, although I've never liked the way Maleev draws action. I just don't think his work flows well from panel to panel. Also wouldn't Daredevil normally beat up all of Fisk's men before questioning Fisk? But he leaves a good number of men standing, including Silke. I enjoyed Daredevil's reaction to Silke, along with the "mutts" line, but dialogue is always Bendis' main strength.

The scene with Silke and the Kingpin's other men was expertly handled. I can't fault it, honestly. I like the way Maleev draws Silke. But the following page with Urich feels like the most ineffective way to end this issue.

I think this issue is a slight improvement from #26. I give this one a 2.5 out of 5. You should be able to count on more grumpiness from me as "Underboss" goes on.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this issue is proof again this story works better in trades, especially since events do not happen in sequential order in this story.

Kingpin being blind was more obvious in this issue then it was in the previous one.

I like the meeting between Silke and Kingpin's other lieutenants, that had a Good Fellas feel to it. I like Silke he is an arrogant scum bag, but kinda fun. He is clearly out of his element trying to deal with DD and NYC super heroes, he is like a character from a gangster movie translated into a comic book world.

An interesting tidbit, Nitro, the would be assassin in this issue, would later cause the incident that lead to Civil War a few years later, so he became somewhat of a bigger deal later on, for a little while.

I would give this issue 3 stars, its hard for me to give a proper rating to the individual issues, because they are just small parts of a larger story.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'd like to participate again. I didn't comment last week, so I'll mesh the two issues together. My comments are basically the same for both of them anyway.

My biggest complaint is the same as everyone else's. Everything that happens feels like it's about twice as long as it has to be. Starting with Kingpin's murder, there are a ton of different panels to show the same thing. I'm sure it's supposed to be dramatic, that we are supposed to read it like a slow motion movie scene or something, but it just doesn't work. The pictures are too cluttered and hectic to be good to look at, and it goes on way too long. The courtroom and explosion scenes have the same problem.

The one good thing that the "decompressed" style DOES have going for it is the dialogue, as seen in the cop car and hospital scenes. It let's the characters talk like real people. Say what you will about pacing, at least Bendis knows how to write good dialogue.

I kind of like Silke. My first time reading this story wasn't too long ago, and at the time, I hated him. He was just some annoying little punk, how could he challenge the freaking Kingpin? This time around, I realize that this is the entire point. He's a perfect scumbag that gets under your skin, and he reminds me of a gangster from a movie. He's growing on me.

Speaking of "the first time around," I should note that I didn't like the flashbacks before. The pacing and seemingly random order of all the chronological hoo-hah seemed tacked on for most the story. It was annoying. Going back, I actually know where all of this is going, so it isn't too bad. For a first time reader, though, it all seemed pretty aimless, like why the heck are we watching these people just play cards for several issues on end?

These two issues feel like they could have been trimmed down and merged into one. The story has a bit of rocky start so far but I don't think it's terrible.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNDERBOSS - PLOT REVIEW - PART 2

New Information is Underlined. Retold Information in Bold.

1. Sammy Silke is a gangster from Jersey who has come to New York to set up shop in Hell's Kitchen. He left Jersey because of problems with a woman. He thinks Superheroes are silly.

2. Silke recognized Richard Fisk at the bar and goes to say "hi".

3. About two and a half months later Matt wins a Court case against a pharmaceutical company.

4. On the Courthouse steps Nitro "blows up" in front of Matt.

5. Matt changes into his Daredevil outfit and catches Nitro. Nitro thinks to himself that it's weird that "they" knew Daredevil would show up. Daredevil demands to know who sent him but then leaves without and answer when the police show up.

6. Matt goes to visit Foggy in the hospital. The two wonder who hired Nitro and think it might have been the Kingpin but maybe not (for three pages).

7. Matt confronts the Kingpin (in an underground garage?) and finds out that it wasn't him. Matt notices Silke in the crowd of gangsters that are just standing around for some reason.

8. One week later Silke, who has been causing problems meets with The Kingpin and a bunch of other mob higher ups. Silke complains about superheroes and longs for the good old days.

9. All the mob higher ups stab The Kingpin .

10. Kingpin dies.

11. Ben finds out that the Kingpin is dead.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil Vol. 2 #28 - Underboss pt. 3

To give context for this one, it was part of the [url=http://marvel.wikia.com/'Nuff_Said]'Nuff Said event[/url]

Quote:
'Nuff Said was more of a theme than an actual event. The challenge for the writers and artists of the books involved was to tell a story without using any words, only art. Each issue included a partial script of the issue at the end, to better inform the reader of what happened in the issue.

Thanks to Overlord for reminding me that some context would be helpful here.

Due 7/12

Last edited by Mike Murdock on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this issue needs some context before we review it. Back in 2001, Marvel had a company wide gimmick where for a month, entire issues have no dialogue (the gimmick was called "Nuff Said") and this issue is the Daredevil entry to this gimmick event.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I edited my post to include some info.

james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNDERBOSS - PLOT REVIEW - PART 3

Wow, so not much to do this week so I'll use the opportunity to narrow down the plot points (such as they are).

And, yeah, this issue was part of the 'Nuff Said event but even on that standard it's pretty phoned in. Morrisson, in New X-Men, used the event to script a visual trip though Professor X's mind that revealed that he had a twin that he murdered in the womb! Bendis did a little less.

New Information is Underlined. Retold Information in Bold.

1. Sammy Silke is a gangster from Jersey who has come to New York to set up shop in Hell's Kitchen. He left Jersey because of problems with a woman. He thinks Superheroes are silly. While in a bar, Silke recognized Richard Fisk at the bar and goes to say "hi".

2. About two and a half months later Matt wins a Court case and Nitro "blows up" in front of Matt on the Courthouse steps.

3. Matt changes into his Daredevil outfit and chases Nitro. Nitro thinks to himself that it's weird that "they" knew Daredevil would show up. Daredevil catches Nitro and demands to know who sent him but then leaves without and answer when the police show up.

4. Matt thinks maybe the Kingpin set it up but then confronts the Kingpin (in an underground garage?) and finds out that it wasn't him. Matt notices Silke in the crowd of gangsters that are just standing around for some reason.

5. One week later Silke, who has been causing problems meets with The Kingpin and a bunch of other mob higher ups. Silke complains about superheroes and longs for the good old days. All the mob higher ups stab The Kingpin and Kingpin dies.

6. Ben finds out that the Kingpin is dead.

7. Matt gets a note from Elektra that says that there's an open contract on him. He's attacked by and beats up Shotgun (?) and Boomerang. He thinks about Bullseye and thinks he sees him in the crowd but doen't really. [I guess, in terms of plot, we don't know who put out the open contract. Presumably it's the same person who hired Nitro? If so that means that whoever hired Nitro is still trying to kill Matt]

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I think needs to be pointed out about 'Nuff Said month: Bendis was also writing Elektra at the time, and the Elektra issue (Vol. 2 #6) acts as a companion to this issue.

I'm also not sure we can count this issue as part of Underboss, although maybe we can, because there is a price on Matt's head as in #26.

I think much of Maleev's artwork in this issue is impressive. Bendis did indeed give Maleev a script. The original issue includes Bendis' script for the first nine pages. It's interesting to read Bendis' script and compare it to what Maleev delivered. For the most part, I think Maleev did well.

Having said that, Bendis seems to be the one making the choice to eat up as many pages as possible by moving the action forward as slowly as possible. Six and a half pages spent showing Matt inspecting his office. That is way too many.

At times, it seems that Maleev proved unable to depict what Bendis intended in his script. On the page where there is a red dot on Matt's head (from Shotgun's rifle), the corresponding script reads:
Quote:
9- SAME SHOT BUT WIDER AND THROUGH THE SCOPE OF A RIFLE. MATT IS LOOKING RIGHT INTO THE SCOPE, A LITTLE RED DOT ON HIS HEAD.

10- SAME SHOT BUT MATT IS DIVING TOWARDS HIS DESK. A BLUR OF DESPERATE MOTION.

Look at that tenth panel. It looks to me like the window is now shut, and that there is a blur of something. I would never have that that the blur was Matt diving behind his desk.

There are other moments where Maleev confuses me. There's one page where Shotgun fires two pistols. In the next panel the pistols are flying out of his hands, and Daredevil is bent over in a way I don't think would send those guns flying in that direction. And those guns take the entire page to hit the ground. (That may be Bendis' most extreme moment of decompression. Why do the guns have to take that long to hit the ground.)

I don't know anything about Shotgun outside of this issue. I don't know anything about Boomerang outside of this issue. Is Boomerang really this much of a wuss? You would think Daredevil's reputation would precede him by this point, so when an assassin is hired to go after him, they would know what they're getting into. Daredevil sends Boomerang running simply by gritting his teeth. Also, a few pages later, when Boomerang finally tosses a boomerang, he looks like he's a safe distance from Daredevil, who simply dodges the object. The next panel Daredevil is close enough to grab him.

That's a common problem I had with Maleev during his lengthy Daredevil run: Action often doesn't flow smoothly from panel to panel. People are far apart and then magically beside each other. And I never liked the way Daredevil looked with his gritted teeth. It often looked like he was preparing to hock a loogy.

This issue is also notable because it gave Kevin Smith a conniption. Smith read this issue, and then called Quesada to complain. Apparently, after Smith had Bullseye kill Karen Page, Quesada promised him that the next time Daredevil fought Bullseye, Smith would be writing it. By this time 23 issues had passed and Smith had done nothing. But Smith read this issue and complained for some reason. So Quesada said, "Fine. Then write something." And that's how we got the odyssey known as Daredevil: Target.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Another thing I think needs to be pointed out about 'Nuff Said month: Bendis was also writing Elektra at the time, and the Elektra issue (Vol. 2 #6) acts as a companion to this issue.

I'm also not sure we can count this issue as part of Underboss, although maybe we can, because there is a price on Matt's head as in #26.

I think much of Maleev's artwork in this issue is impressive. Bendis did indeed give Maleev a script. The original issue includes Bendis' script for the first nine pages. It's interesting to read Bendis' script and compare it to what Maleev delivered. For the most part, I think Maleev did well.

Having said that, Bendis seems to be the one making the choice to eat up as many pages as possible by moving the action forward as slowly as possible. Six and a half pages spent showing Matt inspecting his office. That is way too many.

At times, it seems that Maleev proved unable to depict what Bendis intended in his script. On the page where there is a red dot on Matt's head (from Shotgun's rifle), the corresponding script reads:
Quote:
9- SAME SHOT BUT WIDER AND THROUGH THE SCOPE OF A RIFLE. MATT IS LOOKING RIGHT INTO THE SCOPE, A LITTLE RED DOT ON HIS HEAD.

10- SAME SHOT BUT MATT IS DIVING TOWARDS HIS DESK. A BLUR OF DESPERATE MOTION.

Look at that tenth panel. It looks to me like the window is now shut, and that there is a blur of something. I would never have that that the blur was Matt diving behind his desk.

There are other moments where Maleev confuses me. There's one page where Shotgun fires two pistols. In the next panel the pistols are flying out of his hands, and Daredevil is bent over in a way I don't think would send those guns flying in that direction. And those guns take the entire page to hit the ground. (That may be Bendis' most extreme moment of decompression. Why do the guns have to take that long to hit the ground.)

I don't know anything about Shotgun outside of this issue. I don't know anything about Boomerang outside of this issue. Is Boomerang really this much of a wuss? You would think Daredevil's reputation would precede him by this point, so when an assassin is hired to go after him, they would know what they're getting into. Daredevil sends Boomerang running simply by gritting his teeth. Also, a few pages later, when Boomerang finally tosses a boomerang, he looks like he's a safe distance from Daredevil, who simply dodges the object. The next panel Daredevil is close enough to grab him.

That's a common problem I had with Maleev during his lengthy Daredevil run: Action often doesn't flow smoothly from panel to panel. People are far apart and then magically beside each other. And I never liked the way Daredevil looked with his gritted teeth. It often looked like he was preparing to hock a loogy.

This issue is also notable because it gave Kevin Smith a conniption. Smith read this issue, and then called Quesada to complain. Apparently, after Smith had Bullseye kill Karen Page, Quesada promised him that the next time Daredevil fought Bullseye, Smith would be writing it. By this time 23 issues had passed and Smith had done nothing. But Smith read this issue and complained for some reason. So Quesada said, "Fine. Then write something." And that's how we got the odyssey known as Daredevil: Target.

Regarding Shotgun, he was something of a bad ass when written by Nocenti and Dixon, this issue was a real low spot for him:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/the-mission-daredevil-vs-shotgun-and-the-future-unity-of-comics-communities-of-color

Bendis has a tendency to treat villains he doesn't care for like jokes, Mr. Hyde had one his worst showings against DD under his pen (though other writers have written Hyde as a loser as well, he is pretty inconsistent).

As for Boomerang, Boomerang is kinda of a loser, though he is a likable loser if you read Superior Foes of Spider-Man series. Boomerang was willing to take on Owl when he was being really psycho in that series (Owl decided to feed one his goons to some hungry rats in that series) and was dealing with Chameleon (who at this point is a major figure in the Russian mob). If Boomerang was will steal from a psycho like Owl and a member of the Russian mob, despite being a loser, I can see him being willing to take on DD.

Essentially these two villains are disposable assassins that DD takes out with little effort, I don't think this issue was either of their career highlights.

I will say this, I can appreciate the idea behind Nuff Said, but maybe putting this issue in the middle of a story arc, where the plot may not been moving as fast it should, may not have been the best idea. Spider-Man's Nuff Said issue was a just a silly throw away story where Spidey was attacked by mimes, it didn't affect a larger story line. I would likely rate this issue a little lower then the previous ones.

I also think Kevin Smith should have had to plan to write a DD vs. Bullseye fight right away if he wanted dibs to their next fight. Its hard for Smith to call dibs on Bullseye, when he neither created or revamped him. I like Smith well enough, but that seems like a silly attitude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: