Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: Underboss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not all the dialogue in the opening scene was great, I do think the Matt/Urich scene was good for making things clear to Daredevil and making a statement to the audience - the cat's out of the bag. It's not Fisk, who can use the information to toy with him, it's someone else who made a powerplay to take out the Kingpin and also knows who Daredevil is. Plus, I like the "no smoking" gag.

The rest of the issue is pretty much mobster stuff. It's very dialogue-heavy, so they use scenes of Fisk being murdered as a backdrop. Rather than some of the past repeats, I think it serves a point. The conversation is business-like with a bit of romantic mobster notions thrown in. But the end result is cold-blooded, brutal murder. And, as many pages as it takes up, it's not like it's slowly drawn out. It's about an average of six panels per page (not the silver age nine crammed in, but still pretty dense) and its full of dialogue. Is it necessary? To drive the plot, of course not. But it drives home the point that this is a crime drama. It isn't just a superhero comic. That means it needs to sell the idea of these people being mobsters. Granted, I don't think anyone ever sold the idea of Fisk being a mobster before, but the story explains that too in true Goodfellas tradition. Fisk is not Italian. He's not a made man. He's someone who used his own cunning and ruthlessness to rise to the top to displace the organized crime leaders. Silke is trying to take his "rightful place" back.

I commented previously that the character of Vanessa gets explored in some depth in this story. She has a page at the end, but it's not just a bold move to protect her husband. She's going to act as Fisk.

When I read this previously, I thought Four and a Half Stars. I'm going to stick to that vote. The mobster stuff does sell it for me.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the double post, but I wanted to respond to a few points.

Dimetre wrote:

1. By the time this issue was published, Daredevil already knew Fisk was blind. The first issue of Daredevil/Spider-Man was published before Maya even shot Fisk in the head and caused his blindness. And even if all the events of Daredevil/Spiderman had never taken place (and they did, including Daredevil visiting Fisk in the hospital), don't you think Matt would keep himself informed about Fisk's recovery from that gunshot, and any lingering complications? Fisk is, after all, Daredevil's greatest enemy. Daredevil not knowing that Fisk is blind? Garbage. (Stuart Moore, as editor, shouldn't you have known what was going on in Daredevil/Spider-Man? You could have at least told Bendis that Matt knew Fisk was blind. I think Moore was on a beach in Bermuda for his entire term as Daredevil editor.)

See, my take on this isn't that Matt didn't know Fisk was blind. Rather, it was that Matt didn't think of the blindness he had as a weakness. That's why Ben Urich responded with "Listen, not everyone in the world turns that handicap of yours into a plus." I also think Bendis knew Matt knew he was blind because they had previous scenes where they met each other in this story. In particular, there was the scene where Fisk said he couldn't see where Daredevil was pointing. Then there was the scene in the bedroom.

Quote:
2. Vanessa Fisk has never displayed any desire before to engage in mob behaviour. In her first appearance, when the Kingpin survived a near death experience (sound familiar?) she made Wilson choose between Spider-Man's life or their life together. Wilson spared Spider-Man and retired to Japan with Vanessa. Vanessa, throughout the years has shown disdain for violence, and has yearned to be free of Wilson numerous times. The Vanessa I know would never say, "This cannot go unpunished! This nightmare has to be answered for." This either shows Bendis' inability to understand the character, or unwillingness to learn who the character actually is.

See, that's exactly the point of it. I pointed out Michael Corleone. This is drawn heavily from the Godfather. It's someone who is in the Kingpin's world, but unwilling to be a part of it. However, the evil of that world corrupts all it touches. When Vito Corleone was shot, Michael was forced to act to protect him. When Sonny was shot, he was forced to take over. Once he took over, he was as ruthless, if not more ruthless, than his father. Vanessa is the one innocent person in Fisk's life - or so he thought. But she loves her husband. And she is forced to step into his shoes to act in the way he would too. To me, it's not inconsistent characterization. IMO, it's character development. It was deliberately designed to be a twist - that's why it was the end of the issue.

Quote:
The bulk of the dialogue is well-written and feels natural. However, I don't believe Wilson Fisk has any Italian heritage, and Silke doesn't seem to be an Italian name either.

Actually, Bendis is clear that Fisk is not Italian (at least, not full Italian). He's not a made man and could never become one because he's not Italian. I will say, in the Netflix show, Fisk's mother is apparently Italian (or else, they really like Italian deserts). I do agree about Silke, which appears to be an Irish name. That seems a bit of an oddity.

Quote:
I would be interested to see if other people buy into the idea that everyone in the organization knew that Murdock was Daredevil. As we all know, when Fisk found out Daredevil's actual identity in Born Again, he had everyone who transmitted the message from Karen to himself killed. I personally don't think Fisk would ever be cavalier with Matt's secret, and would treat it as one of his most valuable possessions. Because of this, I find it difficult to buy into this story at all.

Yeah, I'm not sure I entirely buy it. That being said, as time goes on, secrets are hard to keep. At a minimum, Typhoid Mary knew the secret. In the real world, if someone gets shot on the street because of an issue with someone else, everyone in the neighborhood knows who did it and why. This happens even though the shooter presumably isn't telling anyone. I could see rumors starting to buzz after the Kingpin sent Nuke to essentially firebomb Hell's Kitchen (after seemingly being obsessed with Matt Murdock, including trying to have him killed). At the end of Born Again, people were questioning his reasoning. It only takes one person for it to leak.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
See, that's exactly the point of it. I pointed out Michael Corleone. This is drawn heavily from the Godfather. It's someone who is in the Kingpin's world, but unwilling to be a part of it. However, the evil of that world corrupts all it touches. When Vito Corleone was shot, Michael was forced to act to protect him. When Sonny was shot, he was forced to take over. Once he took over, he was as ruthless, if not more ruthless, than his father. Vanessa is the one innocent person in Fisk's life - or so he thought. But she loves her husband. And she is forced to step into his shoes to act in the way he would too. To me, it's not inconsistent characterization. IMO, it's character development. It was deliberately designed to be a twist - that's why it was the end of the issue.

With Michael Corleone, you can track the descent of his character. He's at the wedding telling Kay about his family. His father is attacked, and he looks after him like a good son. His hands don't shake when he's avenging his brother's death. He flees to Sicily, falls in love, and his new bride is murdered. That's when he returns, and is more ruthless than any godfather before. With Vanessa in Underboss, you can't track her descent. She appears on the scene after the attack on Wilson, and she's obviously stunned by it. She makes sure he is safe, and then vows revenge on whoever did this. And it doesn't match anything we've read about her before. This is a woman who, in Love and War, was catatonic, and just wanted to escape. She made Wilson choose between revenge on Spider-Man or retirement. You can't just flip her character in one fell swoop and expect me to buy it. I certainly don't call it character development. I call this either getting the character completely wrong, or forcing a character to do whatever you want because dammit, Bendis has a story he wants to tell (in as drawn out a way as humanly possible.)
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, it could be the second thing. I just disagree with it being the first. I thought it was a good character development (particularly how Ed Brubaker handled it), but I do agree there was no foreshadowing to this point (it was, at best, designed to be a twist).

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it could be the second thing. I just disagree with it being the first. I thought it was a good character development (particularly how Ed Brubaker handled it), but I do agree there was no foreshadowing to this point (it was, at best, designed to be a twist).

I think Brubaker was in a tough position when he took over from Bendis. Brubaker is one of my all-time favourite comic writers. I think he did an admirable job making some sort of sense out of what Bendis wrought. In a single issue, Brubaker did a better job charting Vanessa's descent than Bendis will have done in all of Underboss.

I can't buy it as a twist. When the Sixth Sense is done you can at least retrace your steps and see that the twist made sense. With Vanessa turning gangster, if you've ever read anything with the character before (and keeping in mind that these Marvel Knights issues exist in Marvel's continuity), it doesn't match what we know about the character, at all. Bendis is simply forcing the demands of the plot onto her character.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with a little time on their hands should swing by wikipedia and read the Richard Fisk and Vanessa Fisk pages. Both characters have colourful/interesting histories. Histories that Bendis completely deep sixes for his little story.

And look, I'm all for new takes on old characters. I don't think writers should be hamstrung by the past and I think writers should have a lot of leeway in terms of reinventing characters. At the same time what's the point of using a pre-existing character if you're just going to start from scratch? When we last saw Vanessa she was escaping the Kingpin's clutches in the amazing Love and War. Now she shows up all revengey and completely changed?

And it's not a "twist". Not everything completely unexpected is a "twist". There's an amazingly terrible moment in Bendis' Uncanny X-Men where a mystery villain is revealed to be...well, literally a random villain. There's a few lines of dialogue "justifying" why that villain is even in the story but that's it. That's not a twist. That's just random stuff happening.

Finally, can I just point out that Daredevil has basically done nothing thus far? He's been attacked a couple times and has been repeatedly wrong about it being the Kingpin. That's it.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he's done nothing. In fact, I don't think he really does much until Hardcore. In Lowlife, he threatens the Owl and that backfires. In the end, the FBI clean up his mess.

I wonder if the fact that I haven't read Love and War is a factor. I read the original Miller run. Obviously, that Vanessa is a very different character. But I took her to be more innocent than anything else. Someone who could be corrupted by repeated exposure to this kind of evil when torn between her dislike for this world and her love for her husband (who she has stayed with). Maybe, after reading that, I couldn't have seen Vanessa the way Bendis wrote her.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should definitely read Love and War. As good a writer as Frank Miller still was at this time, Bill Sienkiewicz is really the star of the show. The Kingpin/Vanessa relationship is the centrepiece. If I have to find fault with anything, it's that Matt (funnily enough) doesn't really affect the outcome of the story.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I had no idea Sienkiewicz wrote a Daredevil story. I loved him on New Mutants.

When I started collecting Daredevil, I collected (in order) The Man Without Fear, Hardcore*, and then the Miller Omnibuses Vols. 1, 2, then 3. Unfortunately, while I got the more recent version of 1 and 2 with the red covers and all that, I got the older one for 3 without paying attention. Not only did it repeat some of the material of 2, it omits Love and War. Some day, I'm planning on selling that and replacing it with the correct one to complete my collection. I could probably read it on Unlimited, but I like to rea Daredevil in print when I can.

* While I loved The Man Without Fear, I didn't like Hardcore (I like it better after having read everything that precedes it, though). It's amazing I continued to read Daredevil after that. The story is suggested by some as a good introduction to the character (possibly because it features the Kingpin, Bullseye, and Typhoid Mary), but I couldn't disagree more with that.

LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue was okay, but once again, way too sparse on content. I will say that we get some decent dialogue in place of plot developments, so it doesn't feel as terrible as some of the issues. The first scene was okay, though it would hardly be worth mentioning if not for the fact that it's the only scene in the entire issue that actually has Matt in it. Once again, I reiterate that while we the readers already know what's going on, the characters don't. It might not seem like developments to us but Matt and Ben are piecing things together.

The stuff with Silke was okay too, though the flashbacks were way too in-your-face and hogged some unnecessary real estate that could have moved the plot along a little more.

A few comments on what other people said:

Quote:
Daredevil not knowing that Fisk is blind? Garbage.

I never got the impression that DD didn't know Fisk was blind. He already paid Fisk a visit in a past issue and made no acknowledgement of it. Here, when Ben mentions it, all Matt says is "oh." Looking at the context, I believe he meant that he simply hadn't considered it enough of a problem to leave Fisk open for attack. This is the Kingpin we're talking about. Matt probably didn't think a little blindness would leave him vulnerable enough to be betrayed.

Quote:
Vanessa Fisk has never displayed any desire before to engage in mob behaviour.

I agree completely. This threw me off big time the first time I read this story. I've read very little with Vanessa Fisk in it, and the stuff I have read showed her as the polar opposite of how she acts throughout volume 2. I always assumed that I had just missed something and that she "turned evil" in some other storyline I hadn't gotten to yet. It was easier to accept Richard Fisk because I hadn't read anything with him, so I just assumed it was in character.

Quote:
Silke convinces all of the Kingpins lieutenants to betray and, in fact, kill the Kingpin by promising them that if he was in charge he would charge them less

Agree and disagree. I see no problem with the other mobsters betraying Fisk. It's happened plenty of times before. I just don't see why they would follow some newbie weasel like Silke to do it.

Quote:
Matt changes into his Daredevil outfit and chases Nitro. He catches him but leaves without answers. Nitro thinks to himself that it's weird that "they" knew Daredevil would show up [WHICH MAKES NO SENSE BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO HIRED NITRO WOULD HAVE NO IDEA THAT MATT IS DAREDEVIL]

If you mean the guy in the bar as the person who hired Nitro, then you're right that he doesn't know, but we now learn the people who ordered the hit the first place do. They could have said as they were walking out, "BTW, warn your guys that Daredevil will show up." When he passed on the message to Boomerang, it slipped his mind. I'm just speculating, but I don't think it's much of stretch. Also, the attack was taking place in DD's territory on a man he has had known ties with. I don't think they need to know the secret identity to assume that Daredevil was going to make an appearance anyway.

Quote:
I think you should definitely read Love and War. ... If I have to find fault with anything, it's that Matt (funnily enough) doesn't really affect the outcome of the story.

So, kind of like this one, then?

Quote:
I didn't like Hardcore

You're not alone. When I first read it, I was sorely disappointed. Perhaps we can discuss it in a future Book Club?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LightningandIce wrote:

If you mean the guy in the bar as the person who hired Nitro, then you're right that he doesn't know, but we now learn the people who ordered the hit the first place do. They could have said as they were walking out, "BTW, warn your guys that Daredevil will show up." When he passed on the message to Boomerang, it slipped his mind. I'm just speculating, but I don't think it's much of stretch. Also, the attack was taking place in DD's territory on a man he has had known ties with. I don't think they need to know the secret identity to assume that Daredevil was going to make an appearance anyway.

I think the first part is possible. However, the second theory isn't. Nitro is the one who said that he was told Daredevil would show up and he didn't at all attack in Daredevil's territory. Assuming it's New York Supreme Court (i.e., the trial court), it's way south of Hell's Kitchen near Chinatown. If they were in federal court, it looks like they'd be in Brooklyn.

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't like Hardcore

You're not alone. When I first read it, I was sorely disappointed. Perhaps we can discuss it in a future Book Club?

I've thought about it. The problem is this. Hardcore is a way better story in context (I'm not saying it's a great story, just a better story). It's really the culmination of everything that came before. So fairness would require covering most, if not all, of the stuff leading up to it. And that seems like a lot for a writer that people here don't love.

That being said, I'll look through the stories and see if it can be pared down a bit. I do want to cover Trial of the Century, which I seem to recall liking a lot.

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last One!

Daredevil Vol. 2 #31 - Underboss pt. 6

Due 8/2

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, this is already the second time since #26 that Maleev has used a pose of Daredevil simply standing and facing us as a cover shot, and it wouldn't be the last time. Very rarely do Maleev's covers have anything to do with what's inside the issue. This is a problem throughout Volume 2.

Daredevil appears on five pages of this issue. That's it. When he does appear, he knows less about New York's organized crime than Ben Urich. Hey Bendis, I'm going to give you a tip. One of the reasons we buy Daredevil is because we admire the guy. He's our hero. Heroes tend to know what they're doing. This is the 411th issue of Daredevil. By now, he knows how organized crime operates in New York. Write him accordingly.

Other than those five pages, this is a comic about the mob. All of Underboss, apart from the Nuff Said issue, is a mob comic disguising itself as a Daredevil comic. Daredevil has had no impact thus far on how this story plays out. He has been a step behind at all times, and not in a believable way. How is Vanessa, who has shown nothing but disgust towards mob activity prior to this, three steps in front of Daredevil?

This really bothers me. We're five issues into this story, and Daredevil is whining, "I don't know who my enemy is." That's because YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING TO FIND OUT! All we've seen him do is shake down a few people who say it's the Kingpin, and then the Kingpin denies it, and then Daredevil is at a loss. Our hero. Keep digging, ya tool.

This issue's best moment is when Richard is unable to hide his grief over the death of his father, and that's on the fourth page. After that, Daredevil is ineffective, and Vanessa is out-of-character.

I find it difficult to believe that Bendis was unfamiliar with Vanessa as a character before writing this. She was a remarkably consistent character, even in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon. She was in love with Wilson Fisk, but she hated his lifestyle. She abhorred violence. This monstrous character Bendis is writing isn't Vanessa.

As a comic about the mob, is it any good? Sure. The decompression is silly, but it sustains it's gritty noir mood well. But it's supposed to be a Daredevil comic. Daredevil is supposed to be the protagonist, and he barely figures in the story at all. He hardly influences the flow of narrative. Really, the main character in this story is Sammy Silke. That's the truth. He drives the story. This is his rise and fall. This story was not about Daredevil.

Maybe that's why the closing argument in #26 was so drawn out -- to artificially give more pages to Matt. I'm convinced now that the Nuff Said issue wasn't in Bendis and Maleev's original plans. Maybe Stuart Moore told them to use it as a way to give more time to Matt. Honestly, the events of the Nuff Said issue don't do much to drive the story of Underboss.

This is a common problem with Bendis. Matt didn't drive the story in "Wake Up." Urich did. In "Out" Matt is simply reacting to events, not steering them.

So I'm not going to grade it as a mob comic, because it was sold to us as a Daredevil comic. And as a Daredevil comic, I appreciate it's gritty noir mood, but there is not enough Daredevil, and a serious mischaracterization of characters with which Bendis should be more familiar.

2.5/5
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised there aren't more fans of this run. It's one of my all time favourites (the entire run, not Underboss.)

I always took it that the people who hire Nitro absolutely know that Matt is Daredevil.

I agree this arc is a mob story around Daredevil but ultimately it sets up Out.

Hardcore is brutally awesome.

I read this run for the first time in Ultimate Collection form, and after reading the first few issues I bought the second and third volumes so read the entire run from start to finish. I think that makes a huge difference to the story. I imagine it could be frustrating reading this stuff month to month.

I've mentioned in other forums that I don't believe in decompression. It implies there is one right way to pace a book, which there isn't. It's a creative decision.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this issue was okay. It finishes up Silke's story nicely, even if that does involve some odd characterization of Vanessa. And on that subject, Richard Fisk seemed kind of whiny in this issue given how he acted in the last one. Otherwise, my thoughts on the arc are pretty much the same as Dimetre's.

It's a decent crime story but there just isn't enough Daredevil. That's also why my opinion on Silke is so polarized. I like him in a Goodfellas kind of way but I don't think he's paid his dues or is worthy enough to take down the Kingpin. The thing is, this is Bendis's second story arc on Daredevil, and he still hasn't properly made Matt the main character.

It does get better. I didn't mean to imply that I disliked the entire run. Out, Trial, Lowlife, Widow, and Murdock Papers were great. There is an ongoing story throughout Bendis's entire tenure, and it this is kind of the prologue for it. Silke leaking Matt's secret identity kicks off everything that happens from here on out, much of which is pretty good. The thing is, Silke never plays a significant role again, and dropping Matt's name to the FBI could have been done much faster and more believably in any number of ways.

So what it all adds up to is an influence that was avoidable, or a self contained story that was forgettable. I don't think this story was horrible or anything, but it could be skipped over completely in the Daredevil canon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: